• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mattmh3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Yeoman
    Love the 16ga! My dad and brother both have Model 12s. I have a Stevens copy. My dad also has a Savage semi-auto. I prefer them for hunting over the 20 and 12. Only use 12 for deer and coyote. We have no problem finding shells. We reload our own!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I have an Ithaca model 37 16 gauge trap gun, hand-me-down from my dad, from his uncle. I love it.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    To be honest, I was hunting in the 1950's, at that time I had never even HEARD of a 20 gage shotgun. I was familiar with 12 ga, 16 ga, and .410 had a friend that had a 10 ga., knew of the 8 ga. several in my home area, mostly retired "Goose" guns that no one used. Had heard of the 28 gage, but never saw one. BIL hunted a lot with an old 16 ga single shot. Aunt and Uncle had a 16 ga. hanging in their cabin. I think the new 20 ga have the power of the old 16 ga, but don't agree that they compare favorable with the new 16 gage loads. Many 16 ga hand loads of that era were much hotter (and carried more shot) than today's 20 gage. They were/are a sweet gun. Not sure whether the manufactures or ammo makers conspired to eliminate the 16 or what.

tat2clod

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 18, 2012
    WOW What a cool topic I have a Wingmaster and a Ithaca 37 still go to guns when its time for some bird action.Dont seem to be any load shortages in my area.Can I just say that not all shotguns are for magazine extensions and how hot of a load will it take.I did see an Express 870 in 16 the other day still a favorite size for me and looks like several others

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm bumping this thread! I just got a bolt action 16G shotgun from my father with a variable choke and 2 or 3 round removable magazine.

***Anyone know of a local source for 16G shells? Online vendors seem to be hit or miss but have them.

Also, in the spirit of the op: What happened to the 16 gauge shotgun? | The Daily Caller
    This is a pretty good article about the history of the 16 gauge and why it went away (at least in the USA).
    Supposedly a great gauge for actual use but when the US made the rules for sport shooting they didn't include the 16 so the market dried up for it here.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have an old Western Arms single shot sitting in my safe...

Most of the current production guns in 16 GA. are from Europe. CZ makes a really nice double, the Ringneck 16. Then there's the Rizzini Aurum 16 and the Spanish AyA Model No. 4/53.

That CZ looks nice...CZ Ringneck Side by Side Shotgun

edit: I see also that Browning sells the BPS Upland Special pump in 16.

Last edited:

JonN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    IN
    I've got a nice A5 Sweet 16 I actually bought from my brother when he found another Sweet 16 in a little nicer shape. It was the ticket for S.D. ringnecks last year, and I had no trouble finding shells for it. I suspect it'll be the same story here in a month or so...

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    My dad's vintage Wingmaster 16 was gathering dust for years. Then I got it out, shortened the barrel, added a new brass bead site and made a leather cuff for the butt stock. Now it's my go-to home defense gun, loaded with #1 buck that I actually found in a local gun shop.

IMG_6129.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I need to snap a few pics of my wifes GP's Ithica 37. I haven't shot it yet. I did pick up some ammo though!

augdog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2013
    Sheridan
    I have A Ithaca model 37 16ga my father bought for me for Christmas when I was thirteen.I pick up A slug barrel for it. I am now 64 and had many shotguns over the years. To this day its still my go to shotgun for small game.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I'm bumping this thread! I just got a bolt action 16G shotgun from my father with a variable choke and 2 or 3 round removable magazine.

***Anyone know of a local source for 16G shells? Online vendors seem to be hit or miss but have them.

Also, in the spirit of the op: What happened to the 16 gauge shotgun? | The Daily Caller
    This is a pretty good article about the history of the 16 gauge and why it went away (at least in the USA).
    Supposedly a great gauge for actual use but when the US made the rules for sport shooting they didn't include the 16 so the market dried up for it here.

Hey Doc, is it the Mossberg model 190? If it is I also have one that was passed down from my dad as well. Great shooting shotguns. I especially like the Select-A-Choke feature...I won a few turkey shoots with it years ago. Took a lot of rabbits and quail with it. Still in pristine condition too.

Rural King does sell field shells in 16 ga. 7.5 I think. Enjoy it!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Hey Doc, is it the Mossberg model 190? If it is I also have one that was passed down from my dad as well. Great shooting shotguns. I especially like the Select-A-Choke feature...I won a few turkey shoots with it years ago. Took a lot of rabbits and quail with it. Still in pristine condition too.

Rural King does sell field shells in 16 ga. 7.5 I think. Enjoy it!

I'm at work so I can't check but I'm almost 100% sure that is exactly what it is. Mine isn't in great aesthetic shape but works great. I got several guns from him to tear down and detail clean (hasn't been done in 15+years :() and I haven't gotten to this one yet. The others go back when done but this one gets to stay with me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I just found a local source for some 16ga shells. They were asking $6.25 per box. Probably sold out by now. All ammo was moving fast.

Not a bad price. I just paid $5.50 for a box of 12GA target loads at walmart. I'm actually surprised how cheap that is considering how relatively rare that caliber is.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    16GA at walmart?? I haven't seen that in forever! I have the most amazing Remington Model 11 in 16GA sitting around I want to shoot terribly bad and don't have any shells for it! I need to get some!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    16GA at walmart?? I haven't seen that in forever! I have the most amazing Remington Model 11 in 16GA sitting around I want to shoot terribly bad and don't have any shells for it! I need to get some!

I think you need to re-read my post. Where did I say I saw anything but 12GA?

Top Bottom