• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Just an FYI post. Indy area: As of this morning Indy arms doesn't have any 16 gauge (but they are DEEP in general gun inventory and great staff). Point Blank has 3 loads of 16 gauge but they start at $12/box and go up to (I can't remember but I think) $16/box. Tim's shooting academy in Westfield was interesting...I went in there and the staff was great, I asked if they happen to carry any 16 gauge and while they didn't have any at least 2 of the people working there own 16 gauge shotguns. They said they order it often for the guys that need it but don't carry it. I can't remember the price.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Since I started looking, I've seen a few. 25 round boxes of 6 & 8 at Meijer pretty cheap. They've also had slugs there, and I stocked up pretty well on those. I'm thinkin I have some buckshot now, too. Gander has a few loads as well.

cziemer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2015
    Monticello
    Rural King always has 16 gauge in 8, 7.5, and 6; usually in Super-X. It's usually about a buck more a box than the same in 12 or 20. Gander and Dicks usually has bird shot as well, but their prices are always crazy. Everyone seems to have the 4/5 oz Remington Sluggers for around 5-6 dollars for 5. What I can't seem to find is non-toxic load for Doves at a reasonable price. I just bought a box of number 6 (smallest I could find) bismuth for a fortune from able ammo online. I guess I need to get into reloading... I have a '62 Browning Sweet Sixteen that I use for almost everything that has a season. (Ducks and Gesse excluded... so far) 16's are a by far my favorite shotguns, They always seem to fit me the best and everyone I've ever picked up has swung perfectly and given me good luck hunting.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You guys are lucky, I have a 16 gauge with 2 1/2 chambers. If you think 16 gauge in 2 3/4 is hard to find, try 2 1/2 lol.

Cabelas website did recently start carrying however.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    My buddy recently returned from Italy, and brought me a firearms magazine as a souvenier, and nearly every non-tactical shotgun in there is presented as a 16 guage. It certainly seems to be in vogue over there!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    My buddy recently returned from Italy, and brought me a firearms magazine as a souvenier, and nearly every non-tactical shotgun in there is presented as a 16 guage. It certainly seems to be in vogue over there!

simple enough reason, you can approach 12 ga performance (non magnum) on a gun built on a 20 ga frame...my Winchester 24 has accounted for many upland game animals because it is nice to carry in the field than my 12 gauge double.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I have a Browning Sweet 16. I haven't got to shoot it yet. I would say it has been a very long time since it's been shot and I would want to lube it and check it out really well first. I hear they shoot really well. Hopefully this summer I'll get to try it out.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    My first shotgun was and remains a 1950s Marlin Model 90 O/U in 16ga. It is a perfect upland bird shotgun for pheasant and grouse and chukar.

Last edited:

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    PGRChaplain, that's so awesome! It's great to carry on that tradition and share the love and appreciation of the sport!

Top Bottom