Where is the best place to go primitive camping with kids?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deseag007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    Lawrence (Indy)
    I am interested in places I can take my boys out and teach them some woodland skills. I am originally from TX and do not know the area here very well. I would like to take my kids out and teach them some basic skills like fire building, fishing, shelter making and so fourth. I am from the Indy area now and have had little to no luck locating a good area to spend a few days out in the woods with the kids. If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate to hear them.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    Morgan-Monroe just south of Martinsville.

Before we moved to our rural homestead (we lived in the suburbs around Indy), we would take our boys to Morgan-Monre State forest. It is a great location, beautiful scenery, and easy to get to from anywhere in central Indiana.

Link to State's website for Morgan-Monroe: DNR: Morgan-Monroe State Forest

I second the recommendation - Morgan-Monroe is the best choice!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    mooGo here and camp. Hoosier National Forest - German Ridge Recreation Area

It's in the HNF so you can hike out and work on skills, then head back to your camp. Nice pond with an old pavilion for shelter, so you can swim and fish. You can also scout the area in general with your vehicle and find jumping off places to park for hiking in for primitive. I can give you a lot of detail on spots around it, but it's a great place to camp in general. It's a horse friendly camp so sites are huge, plenty of room for trucks, trailers and horses. Basic privy that's fairly nice. Non potable water in warmer months. You can filter and treat or haul in your own.

I use to host survival get togethers down there with friends from as far the Dakotas and Virginia. Since its a basic camp site, not well known and may have some horse poop, it's only full during deer season.

Buy a Delorme Gazette for Indiana to help you scout. South of German ridge and south of Hwy 66 is a great chunk of HNF that goes right up to the Ohio river. A few convenient parking spots. Park and just head in. Anything goes.

I found the extra driving worth it to get away from Indy. Closest to Indy I ever went was Martin State, but only Fall through Spring.

Last edited:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    In addition to Morgan-Monroe, Turkey Run, Shades, Clifty Falls, Brown County, Shakamak, and Chain-O-Lakes, are among my favorite Indiana State Parks.

In the "Not a State Park" category I really like Delaney Creek Park which has super easy access to the Delaney Creek and Spurgeon Hollow loops of the Knobstone Trail.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Yellow Wood is a great spot too with a nice lake. All of the spots are primitive, but usually not too crowded and some fun trails.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    In addition to Morgan-Monroe, Turkey Run, Shades, Clifty Falls, Brown County, Shakamak, and Chain-O-Lakes, are among my favorite Indiana State Parks.

In the "Not a State Park" category I really like Delaney Creek Park which has super easy access to the Delaney Creek and Spurgeon Hollow loops of the Knobstone Trail.

While state parks are really nice, all camping must be done in set camping areas and camping outside of those areas are not allowed. The type of camping the op is wanting to do cannot be done in state parks.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    While state parks are really nice, all camping must be done in set camping areas and camping outside of those areas are not allowed. The type of camping the op is wanting to do cannot be done in state parks.
    I beg to differ. Everything the OP listed can be done at a State Park. Our Scout Troop does these exact things on a regular basis at all of the State Parks listed in my reply.

Look for the Youth Tent Camp areas, sometimes called Scout Camp Areas, and set up your base camp there.

If you want to build a shelter ... head off into the woods and build one. We only use stuff laying on the ground, but that's all you need.

You want to start a fire ... use the fire pit, that's what they're there for.

You want to fish ... make sure you have your license ... the kids might not need it, but the adults sure do.

You want to hunt ... go for it in the approved areas and only hunt what's in season.

Hike the trails, and you'll find plenty of people who even just set up their camp off of the hiking trails. This is very common along the Low Gap trail at Morgan-Monroe, and you'll find it along just about any trail through just about any of the State Parks.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I beg to differ. Everything the OP listed can be done at a State Park. Our Scout Troop does these exact things on a regular basis at all of the State Parks listed in my reply.

Look for the Youth Tent Camp areas, sometimes called Scout Camp Areas, and set up your base camp there.

If you want to build a shelter ... head off into the woods and build one. We only use stuff laying on the ground, but that's all you need.

You want to start a fire ... use the fire pit, that's what they're there for.

You want to fish ... make sure you have your license ... the kids might not need it, but the adults sure do.

You want to hunt ... go for it in the approved areas and only hunt what's in season.

Hike the trails, and you'll find plenty of people who even just set up their camp off of the hiking trails. This is very common along the Low Gap trail at Morgan-Monroe, and you'll find it along just about any trail through just about any of the State Parks.

They must have changed the rules in the state parks then if you can camp anywhere in the woods like on low gap. Maybe I need to recheck the rules. As to the hunting and fishing and fire rings, well that is a different story, I don't think that is what the op is talking about nor am I. As to the youth tent camp area, I would call that designated camp ground like any other designated camp ground. I beg to differ with you on those items. But thanks anyway my friend.

Last edited:

squidvt

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    Southport, IN
    Yellow Wood is a great spot too with a nice lake. All of the spots are primitive, but usually not too crowded and some fun trails.

I agree. Yellowood, Brown County, Morgan-Monroe and Hooser National Forest are all good places to camp and all have very nice trails.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I would recommend the Charles Deam Wilderness, south and east of Bloomington. I've been primitive camping there since I was a teenager, and you can more easily do all the things you want to do. As noted above, you can do all those things in a state park, but camping is more limited and there is more open, available space in Hoosier NF. With just a relatively short hike, you can get far, far away from other people.

The main downside to the Deam Wilderness is that parking is sharply limited.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Hoosier natl is your best bet as far as having room to move around and build primitive shelters and such. Some of the wierdest people I've ever run into were in morgan monroe. Weird as in followed us around the woods not speaking.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Hoosier National Forest, lots of places to choose from. Don't wait to long though unless you're packing plenty of tick repellent, I know, I live in the HNF.

Top Bottom