• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Good morning everyone. I've just recently became interested in firearms again, so I'm in the process of checking out different shops trying to find the "one" I like best.

I live in the Bloomingon area, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a shop that has a good used handgun inventory that's reasonably priced. I don't mind driving an hour or so if it's worth the trip.

I've got the itch today, and I would love to be able to scratch it. Thanks for the help!

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    The best place in Bloomington is MC Sports, but they do not have much in the way of used guns. Our pawn shops are ok, Ace on the west side is probably best. Other than that it's time for a road trip.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    The best place in Bloomington is MC Sports, but they do not have much in the way of used guns. Our pawn shops are ok, Ace on the west side is probably best. Other than that it's time for a road trip.

I have the time, so I don't mind a road trip. In fact, I kind of expect one. The Bloomington area is terrible when it comes to firearms.

I hit the pawn shops in Bedford several weeks ago. I felt slimy and dirty coming out of there. Not the best experience in my opinion.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Bradis in Camby or take a few extra minutes to go up to Plainfield Shooting Supply. At PSS you may find that the prices are low enough to spend just a few more $$$ and get a new one. :twocents:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Also: Once you get to 50 quality posts, you can purchase guns from the classifieds here on INGO. You can't beat the prices and the folks are pretty honest on here. Heck, if they're not, word spreads pretty quickly.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Also: Once you get to 50 quality posts, you can purchase guns from the classifieds here on INGO. You can't beat the prices and the folks are pretty honest on here. Heck, if they're not, word spreads pretty quickly.

Looks like I better get posting then!:):

I'm seriously considering driving up to Plainfield today. I have heard nothing but positive things about that shop, and if I do end up going, I know I'll come back with something. I won't drive an hour+ just for the heck of it.

Thanks for the help so far guys!

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Let me know when you are going. Heck, I just might ride up there with you. I live in Martinsville along the way. :D

Anyone that's willing to get in my dirty truck is welcome to go gun shopping with me any time.:):

With you living in Martinsville, what are your thoughts on Guns and Ordnance? How does it compare to the Plainfield shop? I've been to G&O a couple of times, and I even made an impulse buy (deeply regretted it). My impression is they are just a tad high on pricing, but the guys working there are super friendly. I'd go back.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Anyone that's willing to get in my dirty truck is welcome to go gun shopping with me any time.:):

With you living in Martinsville, what are your thoughts on Guns and Ordnance? How does it compare to the Plainfield shop? I've been to G&O a couple of times, and I even made an impulse buy (deeply regretted it). My impression is they are just a tad high on pricing, but the guys working there are super friendly. I'd go back.

I'll PM you with my number. What time are you coming through?

I frequent G&O as well. You're correct on all counts. Heck, I stop by just to shoot the breeze with them. Sometimes I have seen some good prices on used stuff.

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    I'll PM you with my number. What time are you coming through?

I frequent G&O as well. You're correct on all counts. Heck, I stop by just to shoot the breeze with them. Sometimes I have seen some good prices on used stuff.

I don't have the 15 posts required to use the PM function. From looking at Mapquest, it looks like I could hit G&O and the Plainfield shop pretty easily today. If I go, I will leave Btown around nine and probably shop around a little.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I don't have the 15 posts required to use the PM function. From looking at Mapquest, it looks like I could hit G&O and the Plainfield shop pretty easily today. If I go, I will leave Btown around nine and probably shop around a little.

I was thinking PSS/G&O and possibly Bradis as well. It could make for an interesting trip.

Do you have email? I'll send you my number.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Pawn shops

Pawn shops can't pawn guns. Just for informations sake. They have to have their FFL and buy them outright. Some pawn shops don't go to the trouble of having guns. Bailey's Bait and Tackle on the way to Columbus usually has a few. Charles can be a little stand-offish if he doesn't know you but he's a good guy. He'll do what he says he will.
    There is at least one shop in Columbus but I couldn't tell you how to get there.:rolleyes:

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    Did you buy anything?

Picked up a used S&W 642 at Plainfield. I feel like I got a heck of a good deal on it. I also bought five boxes of ammo at the second shop we visited in Indy.

All the shops have great folks working there. I was blown away by how courteous and helpful everyone was. My human GPS really knew the places to hit.

I'll edit my post because I forgot to talk about the 9mm I was looking at. They had an LC9 that I got to examine, and I really ended up liking the feel of that gun. It wouldn't have taken much coaxing for me to plunk down the cash for that. I ALMOST asked the guy if he could do anything price wise if I bought both the S&W and the Ruger. Common sense got the best of me and I settled for the one that fit my needs most.

I will say that one of those will be coming home with me at some point unless by some miracle Glock comes out with a single stack 9mm in the next six months.

Last edited:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There's a small Shop on 46 on the way to Spencer, just about in front of McCormicks Creek. Never been in there but I think they have at least a few guns. Spencer Bait & Tackle Maybe? Haven't been that way in a whileso just don't remember the name.

Top Bottom