• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    Yeah, for me its old candles (LOVE the garage sale idea) from around the house, relatives, friends and church. There's always old candles at churches.

What's the longest anyone's had an egg-carton fire starter burn? I'm at 45 min right now, but want to get to 60 this spring / summer.

Im at 20 min but that was good enough for me good on you though for pushing for longer. It sounds like you are approaching sterno can time. :yesway:

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Back in my 4th grade year we made hand dipped candles. Our teacher got the wax in bricks from Franks Nursery and Crafts. Might check out a Michaels or Hobby Lobby if you can, they may offer something similar for sale.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Well the 50% off is this Saturday at Goodwill, so hopefully they get stuff in. I went the other day and they had only THREE candle items. A big 12 pack of those really long unscented candles for 2 bucks is what I bought. The other two were decorative candles, and were more expensive. was able to make 1 egg carton of fire starters ( 30 egg, egg cartons ). I ran out of dryer lint :D I still have 4 candles left though.

I burned one. You don't need to put a wick in it, you light the cardboard from the egg carton. It is basically like a torch, the whole thing goes up in flames.
    I have 36 egg cartons left, and they are 30 eggs a piece, so that is 1080 fire starters left to go :D

Jason R. Bruce

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    AT LAST!

Long story short, I was at an auction several years ago and they had a pallet of candles. They range in size from 1-1/2"x4" all the way up to 4"x8" of various colors. They auctioned off the first box (probably 20 pounds) and to the dismay of the crowd spent five minutes trying to get $10. After it sold to some gal in the back, the auctioneer shouted "REMAINDER - ONE PRICE". I stood there eyeing the tiller I'd come out for as the crowd mummbled and groaned over the awkward pause for these candles. I jokingly held up my hand signifying $5 and the auctioneer shouted "SOLD!" as the fork lift operated swooped in for directions to my truck.

Soooo.... for years I've listened to my wife mocking me about this massive stack of candles in my barn loft. I've melted them into some killer potato gun slugs, inserted glow-sticks for nighttime shooting. Even boiled some down to dip traps in. When the power goes out, our house glows like a flickering beacon. I once boxed some up in a pretty box as a wedding gift, just so to get the wife back for making me attend on a perfectly good Saturday afternoon.

So now you tell me I'm sitting on a gold mine of fire starter componants?!? I can't wait to start dragging candles out and see the wife's face!

She'll probably steal a line from Dumb & Dumber as she often does, "Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber you go and do something like this and totally redeem yourself!" :popcorn:

EDIT: I just had a thought. For lengthening the burn-time of the starter, I may dabble with the small cardboard pockets used in "starter treys" for garden plants. They are made of similar material as the egg crates, but they're much larger. I have a couple hundred laying around, so a scoop shovel of cedar sawdust from under the table saw should put me in business with my pallet-o-wax!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom