• ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Hi folks,

Thought I'd ask the INGO Braintrust (:laugh::laugh:):

What internet resources have you come across where one could go to learn about AK variants, qualities, special features, etc etc etc

I'm rather ignorant of things AK...but I find myself leaning towards possibly investing in one in the next "few" months...

Right now, about all I know is that the WASR-10 is supposed to be the least desirable? (But why?)

Thanks!

-J-

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I like krinkfreak.com and ak-47.us but I don't spend much time on either one, so there are undoubtedly better resources.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    arf,com's ak section.

and a wasr 10 is fine. just make sure the sightes arent canted. i had one and it ate everything. she just wasnt the prettiest girl at the dance.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks all!

And Shooter... Good to re-meet you at Bradis the other day.

I noticed SEVERAL different AKs in stock... I was rather impressed!

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Don't overlook the idea of converting a Saiga. You get a brand new russian made AK with the exact furniture you want for not a whole lot more than a WASR. The fact that you had a hand in building your rifle at the end is priceless in my book.

forum.Saiga-12.com is the best site for Saiga knowledge in my book.

Later down the line you can convert one in 12 gauge to match!

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    As far as building AK's it can still be done but not near as it use to. About 2.5 years ago i bought some Romanian G kits and at that time they were going through the roof. I got them for $115 a piece. Now that same kit is going for ~$275. The barrel ban really ruined it. A bunch of AK-74 kits are coming in somehow with barrels and i snagged 2 of those for cheap: in todays market that is.

I frequent The AK Forum alot. Its a great site for AK's and all their variations.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    The barrel ban makes me cry at night.

There are still good kits out there. I saw a few VZ58 kits with barrel at KCR for less than 200.00.(I know they are not true "AK's". But they are bad arse. Mine should be home in a few weeks along with my krink.

I have been hording kits for a few months now.:D

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I saw a few VZ58 kits with barrel at KCR for less than 200.00.

Speaking of which, I saw complete VZ-58 rifles in a recent distributor's flyer for like $599; they used to go for almost double that! Those and the recent "budget" AK-74s from Century and TGI are a few bright spots in an otherwise pretty stagnant AK landscape.

My :twocents:

the reason of for the ban was why?

Because they could? :dunno: ATF held the position that barrels for "non-sporting" firearms could only be imported for "repair or replacement" purposes. This of course did not stop anyone from using them to build new guns, so ATF got pissed and started declining all Form 6s for such items.

I take it some law was signed that cause ATF to do this?

No new law; just a "reinterpretation" of existing law. ATF loves to do that crap. :xmad:

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Speaking of which, I saw complete VZ-58 rifles in a recent distributor's flyer for like $599; they used to go for almost double that! Those and the recent "budget" AK-74s from Century and TGI are a few bright spots in an otherwise pretty stagnant AK landscape.

We must look at the same flyer's.

whats cool about the Vz's are the milled receivers.

Down side to them are the mags are different from the Ak's. They sell for around 15 to 20 and seem to be plenty of them available.

(I didnt post anything you didnt know, just passing along the info to others)

A milled AK would cost over 1k if you could find one.

I bought mine as a parts kit and sent it off to Troy at Inrange. I wanted it and my krink built back exactly how they were originally with the original markings.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    viewFile.html

The numbers on the receiver match the gun. The kit was brand new when it was cut up.:rockwoot:

Top Bottom