• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm looking at a couple different 1911 to carry with me, but my problem is that I do not make a whole lot of money from my job and was wanting/needing a pistol as my neighbors worry me about my family safety(no, we can't move). I also wanted a pistol as we head to Indy quite frequently and had a slight run in a couple weeks ago.

Chances are I would be using tax money to make a purchase, unless I can get a good job with a good pay. So my selections varies in price and features, to go with the cheapest or to go with the one I really want?

Here's what I had in mind:

RIA 1911 GI
    Rock Island Armory - 1911 GI

Kimber Ultra Carry 2:
    Kimber America | Ultra Carry II

Kimber Pro Carry 2:
    Kimber America | Pro Carry II

TAURUS 1911:
    Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Kimber Pro CDP 2(The one I really want, most expensive):
    Kimber America | Pro CDP II

It is most important that the firearm must be reliable, otherwise there's no point in owning and carrying one. I want bang-every-time with hollow points, so this is where I'm asking people with experience on these firearms to chime in.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I'm looking at a couple different 1911 to carry with me, but my problem is that I do not make a whole lot of money from my job and was wanting/needing a pistol as my neighbors worry me about my family safety(no, we can't move). I also wanted a pistol as we head to Indy quite frequently and had a slight run in a couple weeks ago.

Chances are I would be using tax money to make a purchase, unless I can get a good job with a good pay. So my selections varies in price and features, to go with the cheapest or to go with the one I really want?

Here's what I had in mind:

RIA 1911 GI
    Rock Island Armory - 1911 GI

Kimber Ultra Carry 2:
    Kimber America | Ultra Carry II

Kimber Pro Carry 2:
    Kimber America | Pro Carry II

TAURUS 1911:
    Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

Kimber Pro CDP 2(The one I really want, most expensive):
    Kimber America | Pro CDP II

It is most important that the firearm must be reliable, otherwise there's no point in owning and carrying one. I want bang-every-time with hollow points, so this is where I'm asking people with experience on these firearms to chime in.

That is the one I would get...

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Buy used quality not new "lesser quality"

You have an extremely wide margin in choices pertaining to cost. The RIA and Taurus are going to run half what your Kimbers gonna go for. If I were you I would buy a good used Springfield or a Para model in the GI range. Unless you prefer double stack then you could get a Para P14-45 for around $450-$600 depending on use and finish options. I would personally choose a used option of a more quality credited mfg. than a new model from a lesser mfg. Good luck

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    You have an extremely wide margin in choices pertaining to cost. The RIA and Taurus are going to run half what your Kimbers gonna go for. If I were you I would buy a good used Springfield or a Para model in the GI range. Unless you prefer double stack then you could get a Para P14-45 for around $450-$600 depending on use and finish options. I would personally choose a used option of a more quality credited mfg. than a new model from a lesser mfg. Good luck

I suppose you are right, however, I'm really a big fan of the single stack 4"/4.25" model 1911...I see you suggested used para and springfield, any other brand suggestions?

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Due to it's short barrel, the Ultra Carry will have more perceived recoil than the others. It's been my experience that if a JHP feed issue occurs, it will happen in a shorter barrel first. I can put three of the five you listed, in your hands to shoot if you're interested.

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    I would probably add a Sig 1911 carry stainless to that list. Take a look at the features and price and you'll see why I say that. For $800 - ish out the door you get quite a lot in a good commander size. Like the Kimber it will still have the 80 series firing pin block, but I like the external extractor on the Sig.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Apparently size and weight isn't an issue due to your options.
    The RIA GI is full size and Taurus 1911 is too.
    Your other choices are compacts or ultras. Apparently for size/conceal.
    I personally like the full size but I'm used to it. I do like a lighter gun but I perfer good iron I know and have depended on for over 40 years.
    I'm looking seriously at the Sig XO full size 1911. I've found them online for $733 and $19 shipping to FFL.
    What's not to like about Sig?
    I'm a Kimber Custom 2 fan but I also carry a Kimber Combat Elite I picked up used but like new years ago.
    I trust Kimber and Colt 70 series above all and I have a nice collection of 1911s from many manufacturere. I have a Sig 220 also I can fully depend on and that's why I'm Looking at the XO to add to the mix.
    I've got the RIA GI as a truck gun I don't worry about scratching up because of the cost. It's also a gun to bring to my personal carry requirements I'm going to have to spend a couple hundred more on. I'll still have a RIA when I'm done. Personally the Kimber Custom 2 has the options I like out of the box.. Cost around $800. They're set up right and most shooters can stay tight on target with them out of box. Just my opinion from experience.
    Let us know what you buy and review it for us.
    It's hard to go wrong with the 1911. Good Choice there.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Don't discount the ATI, which is in that RIA price range. Mine's proven to be super reliable. I recommended it to XtremeVel and his Mrs.
    They shot mine, and went and got one for themselves...having the same good experience with theirs, to my knowledge.
    Conversely, my RIA has been back to Armscor twice.
    I can put three of the five you listed, in your hands to shoot if you're interested.
    Given time and circumstance, I can put one of the other.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I vote for Kimber Pro Carry. I have been impressed with all their Pro models I have handled

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    Sounds like you have $$$ burning a hole in your pocket, if that's the case go with the Kimber or go with the Springfield better quality than A RI or Taurus. All good guns but the Kimberis one of the best. I have a SA A-1 loaded, has the enhanced beavertail which helps my bigs hand (don't get the hammer bite) it just feels better. The SA is between the Kimber and RI @ 800 dollar range. Seen them as low as 725. But IF I had the $$....Kimber.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Get the one you want. Getting any of the other guns will result it a "but if . . ." regret that will stay with you every time you pick up the 'lesser' gun. Save a bit longer, get the right gun, no regrets in the end.

I see what you are saying, I was thinking if I don't get the one I really want, I'll just end up upgrading later. I got to looking at para ordanence online last night and they look pretty nice. How do they stack to kimbers?

Sounds like you have $$$ burning a hole in your pocket, if that's the case go with the Kimber or go with the Springfield better quality than A RI or Taurus. All good guns but the Kimberis one of the best. I have a SA A-1 loaded, has the enhanced beavertail which helps my bigs hand (don't get the hammer bite) it just feels better. The SA is between the Kimber and RI @ 800 dollar range. Seen them as low as 725. But IF I had the $$....Kimber.

Not really, quite opposite... It's hard to buy one right now as my job doesn't give me enough hours to go splurge.

To everybody else, I would really like a 4"/4.25" barrel and a steel or stainless steel frame and rack...does the kimber pro carry 2 and pro cdp 2 come in steel flavor? At this moment, I'm looking at kimber, para, Springfield armory, smith & wesson.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

Yes, wide range... Either spend more, wait longer, and get a better gun or spend less, get one sooner in my hand, and not as high quality gun.

If Kimber is what you really want, and money is an issue, I would find a used Pro Carry.

Always good advice, if I can find one that works.

Due to it's short barrel, the Ultra Carry will have more perceived recoil than the others. It's been my experience that if a JHP feed issue occurs, it will happen in a shorter barrel first. I can put three of the five you listed, in your hands to shoot if you're interested.

That's right, you offered me some test drives of a couple selection of 1911. Where do you live again?

Apparently size and weight isn't an issue due to your options.
    The RIA GI is full size and Taurus 1911 is too.
    Your other choices are compacts or ultras. Apparently for size/conceal.
    I personally like the full size but I'm used to it. I do like a lighter gun but I perfer good iron I know and have depended on for over 40 years.
    I'm looking seriously at the Sig XO full size 1911. I've found them online for $733 and $19 shipping to FFL.
    What's not to like about Sig?
    I'm a Kimber Custom 2 fan but I also carry a Kimber Combat Elite I picked up used but like new years ago.
    I trust Kimber and Colt 70 series above all and I have a nice collection of 1911s from many manufacturere. I have a Sig 220 also I can fully depend on and that's why I'm Looking at the XO to add to the mix.
    I've got the RIA GI as a truck gun I don't worry about scratching up because of the cost. It's also a gun to bring to my personal carry requirements I'm going to have to spend a couple hundred more on. I'll still have a RIA when I'm done. Personally the Kimber Custom 2 has the options I like out of the box.. Cost around $800. They're set up right and most shooters can stay tight on target with them out of box. Just my opinion from experience.
    Let us know what you buy and review it for us.
    It's hard to go wrong with the 1911. Good Choice there.

I really want a 4"/4.25" barrel and steel frame, however I have considered getting an ultra down the road, just throwing out there to see what you'd say.

Don't discount the ATI, which is in that RIA price range. Mine's proven to be super reliable. I recommended it to XtremeVel and his Mrs.
    They shot mine, and went and got one for themselves...having the same good experience with theirs, to my knowledge.
    Conversely, my RIA has been back to Armscor twice.

Given time and circumstance, I can put one of the other.

ATI? never heard of them...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I see what you are saying, I was thinking if I don't get the one I really want, I'll just end up upgrading later. I got to looking at para ordanence online last night and they look pretty nice. How do they stack to kimbers?
    Kimber is generally prettier and offers many more options so if you want a gun that more exactly fits your needs then Kimber might be the better choice. My personal opinion (worth what you paid for it) is that they are a bit over rated and focus more on looks. They have innovated NOTHING in the 1911 platform.

I have 2 of the Para guns, one is a Carry9, which I absolutely love. Easiest to carry 1911 of my bunch because of the light weight, easy to shoot with low recoil, and the LDA trigger is something that must be tried to be believed. The other is a Warthog, 10 shot 45acp, subcompact. I love that gun too but if I was limited to only 1 then I'd take the Carry9. 45acp, really short grip, lightweight alloy frame makes for a larger felt recoil than an all steel gun of the same configuration. One of these days I plan to get a BigHawg, or a P14-45.

ONLY SINCE YOU ARE CONSIDERING OTHER BRANDS, what about the new double stack, all CNC machined, modular 1911 pistol from Detonics. It is due to be released in the next week. Grips can be changed from compact to full length, eventually from double to single stack, slides from compact to full. Price for the base gun is supposed to be in the $1500 range. Testing will tell, but probably the best ergonomic design of any 1911 ever built, notice the finger relief under the trigger guard, that is a 'Holy Grail' cut for custom makers. Also the higher grip along the backstrap. Combined those should give a higher grip to bore axis for lower felt recoil and much greater control.

Pre-Production guns, iPhone photo:
    1.jpg

Prototype frame/grip photo, from pre-release brochure mock up:
    Screenshot2011-10-03at84251PM.png

Spreadsheet of grip dimension comparison, the new "MTX" versus a traditional "CombatMaster" versus others:
    Screenshot2011-10-11at80435PM.png

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Kimber is generally prettier and offers many more options so if you want a gun that more exactly fits your needs then Kimber might be the better choice. My personal opinion (worth what you paid for it) is that they are a bit over rated and focus more on looks. They have innovated NOTHING in the 1911 platform.

I have 2 of the Para guns, one is a Carry9, which I absolutely love. Easiest to carry 1911 of my bunch because of the light weight, easy to shoot with low recoil, and the LDA trigger is something that must be tried to be believed. The other is a Warthog, 10 shot 45acp, subcompact. I love that gun too but if I was limited to only 1 then I'd take the Carry9. 45acp, really short grip, lightweight alloy frame makes for a larger felt recoil than an all steel gun of the same configuration. One of these days I plan to get a BigHawg, or a P14-45.

ONLY SINCE YOU ARE CONSIDERING OTHER BRANDS, what about the new double stack, all CNC machined, modular 1911 pistol from Detonics. It is due to be released in the next week. Grips can be changed from compact to full length, eventually from double to single stack, slides from compact to full. Price for the base gun is supposed to be in the $1500 range. Testing will tell, but probably the best ergonomic design of any 1911 ever built, notice the finger relief under the trigger guard, that is a 'Holy Grail' cut for custom makers. Also the higher grip along the backstrap. Combined those should give a higher grip to bore axis for lower felt recoil and much greater control.

Pre-Production guns, iPhone photo:
    1.jpg

Prototype frame/grip photo, from pre-release brochure mock up:
    Screenshot2011-10-03at84251PM.png

Spreadsheet of grip dimension comparison, the new "MTX" versus a traditional "CombatMaster" versus others:
    Screenshot2011-10-11at80435PM.png

I was just reading about this gun last night, little to expensive for my blood but it looks cool nonetheless.

Maybe I should revise my preference to 4"/4.25" with a steel or stainless steel frame/slide and single stack...never been fan of double stack bulkiness but that's just me.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I was just reading about this gun last night, little to expensive for my blood but it looks cool nonetheless.

Maybe I should revise my preference to 4"/4.25" with a steel or stainless steel frame/slide and single stack...never been fan of double stack bulkiness but that's just me.

But you'll notice from the spreadsheet above, this doublestack is really very similar to a single stack. Actually smaller in some dimensions. You'll notice this has a grip width slightly thinner than a traditional 1911.

As for revising your preference, that makes sense, narrow things down, in fact you may want to come up with a "must have," a "want to have" and a "do not want" list of features, materials, size, etc. Then find the guns that meet those criteria.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    But you'll notice from the spreadsheet above, this doublestack is really very similar to a single stack. Actually smaller in some dimensions. You'll notice this has a grip width slightly thinner than a traditional 1911.

As for revising your preference, that makes sense, narrow things down, in fact you may want to come up with a "must have," a "want to have" and a "do not want" list of features, materials, size, etc. Then find the guns that meet those criteria.

So wait...a double stack 1911 about the size of a standardized single stack? this what you are saying?

Top Bottom