• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I carry (most times, but I do swap out occasionally) a Kimber Tactical Ultra II. It is lightweight, easily concealed and dependable (for me so far).

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    ATI? never heard of them...

Click: American Tactical Imports

Here's mine...NIB $460

IMG_1474.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    So wait...a double stack 1911 about the size of a standardized single stack? this what you are saying?

YES :rockwoot:

Carefully look at that spreadsheet above. Compare the MTX to the 1911 measurements.

Here is something else to chew on.

The GRIP CIRCUMFERENCE measurements:
    MTX -double stack 45- 5.34"
    CM -single stack 45- 5.218"
    Glock 26 -dbl sk 9mm- 5.96"
    Sig250 -dlb stk 9mm- 5.35"
    1911 -single stack 45- 5.706"
    STI -double stack 45- 5.8"

So really what I am saying is that it is smaller than a SINGLE STACK 45acp in some ways, clearly smaller than a DOUBLE STACK 45 in every way, and actually similar to or smaller than 9mm DOUBLE STACKS.

This company has one of the only 9-Axis CNC milling machines in the midwest, it allows them to mill at virtually any angle possible and lets them mill to much tighter tolerances than other companies. My best friend owns his own machine shop, he has 3 CNC milling machines that are 2 and 3 axis machines. I know how much he spent for those, he said the 9-Axis machine is a million dollar baby. Not sure if he means that literally or not, but I guess it wouldn't surprise me.

Initial production is going to be very limited, probably 25 guns a week. They have the capacity to ramp up to much higher numbers after they get the ghosts out of the machines.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Click: American Tactical Imports

Here's mine...NIB $460

IMG_1474.jpg

Interesting, I'll look into that...

YES :rockwoot:

Carefully look at that spreadsheet above. Compare the MTX to the 1911 measurements.

Here is something else to chew on.

The GRIP CIRCUMFERENCE measurements:
    MTX -double stack 45- 5.34"
    CM -single stack 45- 5.218"
    Glock 26 -dbl sk 9mm- 5.96"
    Sig250 -dlb stk 9mm- 5.35"
    1911 -single stack 45- 5.706"
    STI -double stack 45- 5.8"

So really what I am saying is that it is smaller than a SINGLE STACK 45acp in some ways, clearly smaller than a DOUBLE STACK 45 in every way, and actually similar to or smaller than 9mm DOUBLE STACKS.

This company has one of the only 9-Axis CNC milling machines in the midwest, it allows them to mill at virtually any angle possible and lets them mill to much tighter tolerances than other companies. My best friend owns his own machine shop, he has 3 CNC milling machines that are 2 and 3 axis machines. I know how much he spent for those, he said the 9-Axis machine is a million dollar baby. Not sure if he means that literally or not, but I guess it wouldn't surprise me.

Where would I be able to get my hands on one?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    RIA 1911 GI
    This one if price is a factor... dollar for dollar the RIA's are real hard to beat...

Kimber Pro CDP 2(The one I really want, most expensive):
    This one if you feel like splurging

Both are excellent firearms that you can count on.

Really, I think the RIA would be my first choice, just because of the sticker and what you get for that price... it is a no frills GI, but it is a reliable 1911 and I have had nothing but good experiences with RIA 1911's... that also gives you quite a bit of cash for ammunition, a nice holster to carry, etc etc....

The Kimber Pro CDP 2 is an excellent 1911... the only con in my opinion is the price tag. If you do not mind spending the extra money, and really like the CDP 2... you will love it...

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Clearly, get the one you want.
    The Kimbers are good guns, even if they are a little pricey for what you get.
    I can say that. I carry a Kimber Compact almost every day. :)
    Stick with an aluminum frame if you are going to carry it.
    The reduced weight makes a big difference IMHO.

I do have a suggestion for you, though.
    Consider the new Kimber Super Carry Pro.
    If you are even inclined to conceal carry, the rounded corner of the grip really makes it easier to conceal.
    Kimber America | Super Carry Pro

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    ... I would buy a good used Springfield or a Para model...

+1

I've owned Springfield, Para, Colt and Kimber. The two later were safe queens (too pretty for anything more than an occasional trip to the range) but the other two were good workhorses. The Para LTC is a good Commander size gun that is not too heavy and very reliable. In addition the Para name doesn't command the same premium as something like Kimber or Colt so they can be found used for a relatively good price. Springfields are also reliable guns but tend to cost a little more.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Where would I be able to get my hands on one?
    They should be commercially available within the next week or two.

I have just placed an order directly with the factory, already shipped them the pertinent FFL information for shipping, and got the order confirmed from the factory. I'm getting the first one* off the production line. I'm hoping to have it before the end of next week. If so then I will bring it to the NWI INGO MEET & SHOOT on Oct 22 at the Winamac range. A bit of a drive for you, but if you are serious about trying one, you can shoot mine if it arrives before 10/22.

*first for public release, factory execs/staff will be getting guns ahead of my order​

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    If price is a real concern, hands down Springfield A-1, friend got one a month ago, he has 500 rounds thru it and not one problem. Two weeks later I bought the A-1 Loaded, 200 rounds no problem. He paid 640.oo for the A-1 and you can always build/upgrade from there. You'll have this gun the rest of your life and even pass it on to your kids.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If price is a real concern, hands down Springfield A-1, friend got one a month ago, he has 500 rounds thru it and not one problem. Two weeks later I bought the A-1 Loaded, 200 rounds no problem. He paid 640.oo for the A-1 and you can always build/upgrade from there. You'll have this gun the rest of your life and even pass it on to your kids.

The one that $640, which model is that?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Have you looked into the MetroArms american classic commander? Has gotten pretty good reviews and the fit and finish are spot on.

Should be able to get one under $475 bucks. Also has a LOT of desirable features that many people upgrade their RIA's to at a minimal extra cost.

I was going to get the commander, but decided on the more stock 1911 of their in Hard Chrome to see what features I felt I really wanted, only bad thing is that I'm pretty sure I'm going to be having some difficulty finding replacement sights without getting the slide milled and refinished.

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    You say you feel you need one now for security reasons, my vote is for the RIA for inexpensive and quality . Picking up a used one saves on cost, and puts it in your hands now.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Don't discount the ATI, which is in that RIA price range. Mine's proven to be super reliable. I recommended it to XtremeVel and his Mrs.
    They shot mine, and went and got one for themselves...having the same good experience with theirs, to my knowledge.
    Conversely, my RIA has been back to Armscor twice.

Given time and circumstance, I can put one of the other.
    What would YOU know about 1911's! :p Mrs.Extremevel teaches with my wife! She spoke highly of you.....I set her straight about that!

You really should sell me an ATI........:)

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    If you really want it to be 100% reliable no matter what whatever company you buy from get a commander sized 1911. I have heard 99% of the problems with 1911's are the 3 inch models.

And if you are going with a 3 inch get a springfield, smith and wesson or colt

Top Bottom