• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Springfeild and kimber both have spotty quality and reliability records. Look up hilton Yam of 10-8 performance, and read some of what larry vickers has to say on the issue. I take no single sources as an authority, people being prone to preferences and what not. but they have a considerable amount of time using, tuning, shooting, and evaluating the 1911 platform. The best deal in a well sorted 1911 is to call Springfield and talk to their custom shop and order the TRP-pro. that pistol is built with the idea that it may end up in the hands of an FBI agent or other LEO.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    1.jpg

Prototype frame/grip photo, from pre-release brochure mock up:
    Screenshot2011-10-03at84251PM.png

Spreadsheet of grip dimension comparison, the new "MTX" versus a traditional "CombatMaster" versus others:
    Screenshot2011-10-11at80435PM.png

This is just not fair for my bank account. If it shoots as good as it looks I must have one.

Any word on capacity on the double stack .45?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    This is just not fair for my bank account. If it shoots as good as it looks I must have one.

Any word on capacity on the double stack .45?

I am getting the compact version of the gun when it ship. The compact version will hold a 12 shot magazine. Not sure about the future full size variant. Both guns in the side-by-side photo show the compact frame.

The grip frame is roughly the same size as a Colt "Officers Model" frame which is just about 5/8th longer than an original CombatMaster so if you shot any of my CombatMaster pistols and wonder why your little finger was swinging out in space with nowhere to go, you won't have that problem with this compact version because they extended the grip.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Springfeild and kimber both have spotty quality and reliability records. Look up hilton Yam of 10-8 performance, and read some of what larry vickers has to say on the issue. I take no single sources as an authority, people being prone to preferences and what not. but they have a considerable amount of time using, tuning, shooting, and evaluating the 1911 platform. The best deal in a well sorted 1911 is to call Springfield and talk to their custom shop and order the TRP-pro. that pistol is built with the idea that it may end up in the hands of an FBI agent or other LEO.

While I am not Hilton and I definately am not "THE LAV", I think it is noteworthy that both do or have built serious social purpose 1911's on Springer or Kimber base platforms. Also worth noting is that USMC MEU/SOC ran Springer or Kimber based 1911's. Good recomendation to check out their thoughts though by Jeremiah. Springer Pro is world class, but sadly "just" a bit out of the OP's price range :n00b:

So to the OP's dilema, I want a 1911 that I can bet my butt on that will not break the bank. First of all some other thoughts on budget, size etc:

No matter what 1911 you go with, there is some care and feeding. Quality Mags are not cheap and a necessity. Good leather/Kydex and belt are also important to budget for. Training! INGO is repleat with threads on how 1911 guys have to practice train etc or they will not thumb the safety off when it counts, or clear type 2 malfunctions that Glocks never suffer :laugh: But yes training is important if you are going to trust your and your family's lives on a platform! 45 ACP is not cheap so factor that in.

1911 Size: I have seen short 1911's that run perfect and Government lengths that choke. Short version is ACTION timing and tuning. ASSUMING all geometry, components, mags are correct a longer slide 1911 has more "time" cushion to extract, eject, and get the next round up. The two guys above tend to favor Government length period, as would I if kicking in doors in an offensive role. That said a quality commander or smaller can run with the best of them, just keep up on springs and understand that you have less margin of error. Aslo remember the smaller platforms give up mass from a follow up/stabilty point of view and sight radius, both things that help a bad shooter like me be better, reguardless of how intrinsically accurate the base gun is. For what its worth I run a steel framed commander for EDC as a balance of the above factors.

Sights and Ergonomics:
    Figure out what setup fits your hand. I know great shooters that run arched mainsping/short trigger. Others shoot a long trigger/flat mainsping better, fondle the guns, better still shoot them, see what fits. Good sights! God knows I am slow, but I am REALLY SLOW with GI sights. Night Sights definately are worth looking at, though I tend to think that you should not shoot what you can not see and good non tritium sights light up fine if your target is illuminated with you favorite 2 gazillion lumen combat light! Also if your base gun is not "NOVAK" cut you will have to pay a bit more to your smith to get the sights you want after you figure out the stock ones do not work right for you.

OK so WHAT "Budget" 1911. Of your initial ideas I would go with the PRO Carry II (not really a budget choice) and definately look at Springer (Champion is their "commander") for a more budget choice. WHY? Both have a solid track record. Both have great CS and warranties. Both can be built up as you learn what you like an do not like. 1911's sometimes need tuning, better to not have to pay on a budget. Yes there is MIM in some parts, and yes I have seen MIM parts fail (cough ATI cough). Yes I would rather a gi recoil system, but I personally have rarely seen these guns choke, and they are a @##$ ton less money compared to a Springer Pro, WC, NH, LB, insert your favorite 1911 custom smith here.

Hope this helps, and at least gives you some other important factors to think about. my long winded :twocents:

Last edited:

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    ..... he said the 9-Axis machine is a million dollar baby. Not sure if he means that literally or not, but I guess it wouldn't surprise me.
    I would imagine he meant that literally, Colt has several that cost that, I doubt he's exaggerating much if any.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Another two you might think about:

Colt XSE, good feature set, forged, lifetime warranty, probably find one under the Kimber price tag. Has the REAL DEAL Colt thing going for it.

Sig Sauer 1911, good feature set, forged, lifetime warranty, less than Kimber depending on model. Newer to the 1911 world but the ones I have played with were nice, solid and accurate. Funky sig slide makes holsters harder, but they now make a "classic" normal profile slide on many models.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Another two you might think about:

Colt XSE, good feature set, forged, lifetime warranty, probably find one under the Kimber price tag. Has the REAL DEAL Colt thing going for it.

Sig Sauer 1911, good feature set, forged, lifetime warranty, less than Kimber depending on model. Newer to the 1911 world but the ones I have played with were nice, solid and accurate. Funky sig slide makes holsters harder, but they now make a "classic" normal profile slide on many models.
    A couple more good suggestions there, and Colt does have some experience with aluminium frames, since 1949. ;)

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    One other suggestion I will put out is to get a good used colt or springfeild, purchase parts you wish to replace, beavertail , extended slide catch, extended safety, sights, grips, internals, etc and go to a 1911 build class (lav, cylinder and slide, as well as other put those one) great learning experience and in the end you have what you want, and someone with a decent qualification set can help you tune it.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I'm heading up to beech grove firearm store with my daughter, I'll be up there in about an hour and probably spent a while looking. If anybody want to meet up there, shoot me a text at 812-929-9396.

...today's mission is to look, touch, and feel...

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The Ruger might be worth considering. It's full size, but looks to be a good quality gun. A friend just picked one up, but has not been able to shoot it yet to provide a range report.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    The Ruger might be worth considering. It's full size, but looks to be a good quality gun. A friend just picked one up, but has not been able to shoot it yet to provide a range report.

I'm staying away from Ruger, my last Ruger pistol never shot right.

So far the kimber CDP pro 2, kimber tactical pro 2, or the pro carry tle/rl 2 is getting my vote unless a nice paraordanence reveals itself.

BountyHunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Gibson County
    WartHog

I really, really like my Para Ordnance WartHog, it's my edc gun, never had any issues with it. It is a double stack, it holds 10+1 great for a 3 inch barrel, just my :twocents:.
    And by the way I got mine on Gunbroker for $550 with 3 mags and that included shipping too.

Something else to consider is a Para P12-45 or a P13-45, unless you just want the full sized 1911, anyway be sure to let us know what you wind up with.:popcorn:

Top Bottom