• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Both the Ruger SR and the Smith Compact (80ish% size of full size) sell for the same price at Hoosier Armory: $330, but I use that for comparison only.
    The Smith seems to bring more in used sales, that is why pointer's $225 Ruger has an appeal (since I'm thrifty/cheap).

It is all about your purpose for the gun. If you want to just try a bunch of things, seems like the Ruger is the ticket (though I'm telling you for something completely different try the Ruger Mark x series). If your purpose is to train, then I'd get the M&P (since it mimics what you have, however it does have some differences I understand, such as a safety, etc. Now that I am exploring M&P's again, I wish there was an M&P 22 out there without the safety).

I personally like to keep things as much the same as I can so I don't have to worry about which gun I may be carrying on a given day, in what holster, and muscle memory and training for trigger and any safety mechanisms, etc. I go for depth, and redundancy where possible, with some size changes for specific needs, but keeping other things the same.

It sounds like that is not your path, so in that case get whatever is most interesting. One thing you might consider if you want to shoot a bunch of different guns rather than having to buy them all and try them is putting together some shooting meetups with folks who have guns that interest you, etc.

As slight thread jack, as I haven't really looked into these, but I see that S&W has an M&P 22 that is a compact/10 rounder (assuming Shield size?) and an M&P 22 (12 rounder) that is larger (assuming more in line with the more full sized or Compact 2.0 sized guns?). Is one much more prevalent than the other? I'll have to do some looking around on these. My concern is that neither of these seems to completely mimic the other M&P's for training purposes. For the guys that have the M&P 22's, which one do you have, and do you consider it a good trainer for carrying a centerfire M&P?

Finally, anyone tried one of these?
    https://www.umarexusa.com/collections/air-pistols/products/smith-wesson-m-p-40

Seems to have an operational slide, etc
    [video=youtube;6CALhWB0b8I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CALhWB0b8I[/video]

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Smith and Wesson 41 first choice but they're pricey ...

Smith and Wesson victory , add the tandomkross trigger, this little pistol comes alive, shoots SK standard volicity and runs perfect

Killed 2 small gray squirrels with my 7" model 41 this week. Great gun. Worth every penny i spent on it.
    Spend what you can afford. I'll save up for quality.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It is all about your purpose for the gun. If you want to just try a bunch of things, seems like the Ruger is the ticket (though I'm telling you for something completely different try the Ruger Mark x series). If your purpose is to train, then I'd get the M&P (since it mimics what you have, however it does have some differences I understand, such as a safety, etc. Now that I am exploring M&P's again, I wish there was an M&P 22 out there without the safety).

I personally like to keep things as much the same as I can so I don't have to worry about which gun I may be carrying on a given day, in what holster, and muscle memory and training for trigger and any safety mechanisms, etc. I go for depth, and redundancy where possible, with some size changes for specific needs, but keeping other things the same.

It sounds like that is not your path, so in that case get whatever is most interesting. One thing you might consider if you want to shoot a bunch of different guns rather than having to buy them all and try them is putting together some shooting meetups with folks who have guns that interest you, etc.

As slight thread jack, as I haven't really looked into these, but I see that S&W has an M&P 22 that is a compact/10 rounder (assuming Shield size?) and an M&P 22 (12 rounder) that is larger (assuming more in line with the more full sized or Compact 2.0 sized guns?). Is one much more prevalent than the other? I'll have to do some looking around on these. My concern is that neither of these seems to completely mimic the other M&P's for training purposes. For the guys that have the M&P 22's, which one do you have, and do you consider it a good trainer for carrying a centerfire M&P?

Finally, anyone tried one of these?
    https://www.umarexusa.com/collections/air-pistols/products/smith-wesson-m-p-40
    Seems to have an operational slide, etc
    [video=youtube;6CALhWB0b8I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CALhWB0b8I[/video]

1. The Mark X is that much different than the Smith Victory that didn't do anything for me?
    2. I didn't even catch that there was a Smith 22 Compact (10 rounder) and a regular Smith 22 (12 rounder): you've just complicated my search. :dunno:
    3. Since the Smiths aren't selling used around $200 like the Ruger here for $225, it still has my interest, but it might be gone by the time I make up my mind anyway.
    4. But, since I'm buying and selling a house and have to move out after 25 yrs. my life has been hectic and I appreciate the diversion that this site provides, I might not be able to pursue my "interests/hobby" at much the like few weeks. :dunno:

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    1. The Mark X is that much different than the Smith Victory that didn't do anything for me?

They appear somewhat similar. I've never shot a Victory. I have shot a Ruger Mark II (though not sure I'd buy a Mark II based on the frustrations I've seen many years ago early on before my brother got the knack of putting it back together, though it looks like the Mark IV have made for a much simplified take down. I believe there are aftermarket kits that can be purchased for the Mark II to make it easier as well).

Just curious, what about the Victory put you off? Doesn't matter to me, I don't have a dog in that fight, just curious.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    They appear somewhat similar. I've never shot a Victory. I have shot a Ruger Mark II (though not sure I'd buy a Mark II based on the frustrations I've seen many years ago early on before my brother got the knack of putting it back together, though it looks like the Mark IV have made for a much simplified take down. I believe there are aftermarket kits that can be purchased for the Mark II to make it easier as well).
    Just curious, what about the Victory put you off? Doesn't matter to me, I don't have a dog in that fight, just curious.

1. A simple but tough question to qualify: don't know how to explain it.
    2. Someone recommended it so when the opportunity presented itself with the right "profile" I was looking for, I got one off a guy for $300.
    3. Took it to the range and shot it, and it did not bring any joy.
    4. I knew after that 1 time that I was going to sell it, and immediately did so for $300.
    5. Why does the Sig 1911-22 bring me joy? I like the "big boy" feel of it? For one thing, I thought I was getting a $350 gun (one on Armslist for that) that had never been shot, for $200. I had to repair the "not fitting/not machined correctly parts CW Accessories sold the guy I bought it from and put the correct fitting parts in it from ZR Tactical Solutions: $100 (the guide rod had to be cut out it lodged in their so tightly). If I would have sold a gun that did that I would have paid at least 1/2 the bill if not all, I'm funny about that sort of thing

6. I am a revolver guy (can't explain that either). I love shooting my Ruger GP100 SS, 10 shot, 36 oz (or so), and I even enjoy shooting my little Heritage Arms single action 6 shooter (only $110)

zartslogo.png

Call Us: (317) 721-ZRTS | info@zrtacticalsolutions.com

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Odds are if you didn’t enjoy the Victory, the Ruger Mark series and the Browning Buckmark will have similar results.

If you can find one, the S&W 422. I quite enjoy my 6” 422. It’s an alloy frame around 25oz but built very similar to the Model 41. There is also the 622 & the 2206. If I recall correctly, the 2206 is all steel. Not 100% on the difference between the 422 & the 622.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Odds are if you didn’t enjoy the Victory, the Ruger Mark series and the Browning Buckmark will have similar results.

If you can find one, the S&W 422. I quite enjoy my 6” 422. It’s an alloy frame around 25oz but built very similar to the Model 41. There is also the 622 & the 2206. If I recall correctly, the 2206 is all steel. Not 100% on the difference between the 422 & the 622.

1. I looked it up and read about it: interesting and well-rated gun.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    1. Never going to put $1000 into 1 gun: I'm not that discerning. :(
    It's only money. Like manure, it does no good unless you spread it around. It won't go with you when you leave the planet. Might as well enjoy the experiences it can provide while you're here. Never thought I'd spend over 3 grand on a rimfire either. . . .til I shot one like that.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    One of my most accurate 22's is an older High Standard Sport King. I picked it up at a gun show for under $500 in the box with an extra barrel and mag. I like it a lot better than the Ruger mark II and the 22/45 that I had.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It's only money. Like manure, it does no good unless you spread it around. It won't go with you when you leave the planet. Might as well enjoy the experiences it can provide while you're here. Never thought I'd spend over 3 grand on a rimfire either. . . .til I shot one like that.

1. I am in the process of buying a house, appliances, and furniture and both of my cars are 13 and 14 yrs. old.
    2. And, since I have recently invested a few thousand in guns, I don't think I qualify for that logic: doing it already. :lmfao: :laugh:

Hotrod29

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2016
    NWI
    I have a Ruger SR22 and my only complaint is the backwards operating safety. Just doesn't seem right to pick the safety up for the fire position otherwise it's been extremely reliable

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a Ruger SR22 and my only complaint is the backwards operating safety. Just doesn't seem right to pick the safety up for the fire position otherwise it's been extremely reliable

Yeah, that would be a deal killer for me given my use of a 22. For the OP doesn't seem like it would be an issue though.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I just got through reading this whole thread and so appreciated the input: priceless!
    Since I'm not going to spend $1000 for a gun at this point, just like my next car will not be a Lexus (which the salesman says I can afford,
    but I know it wouldn't bring me enough joy to pay that much more).
    I went to buy the S/W M/P .22 Compact at RK in Greenwood ($300) and couldn't b/c my license had my old address :wallbash: (forgot to update it),
    but I got my license updated the next day (lovely date at the BMV with the wife, and we are so boring, I mean that :laugh: ;
    OK, mostly the trip there and back, but great conversation with the love of my life while there:popcorn:),
    but I haven't made it back to RK to pick it up b/c of business and other.

Some of the "other" is that I tried to negotiate to buy 4 different tilt-up barrel Beretta/Taurus 1-2 days ago,
    but between them being sold and/or sellers not responding after I leave an email grilling them
    on the "profile" of the gun (a good way for me to see if it is what I want and not waste my time or theirs):
    I have bought nothing.

The kicker is that I met someone (Flatsixshooter) here yesterday,
    who knows 1000% more about Baretta tilt-ups and guns in general,
    and we have talked privately, via cell,
    and he will be a great reference for guiding me on what to buy,
    or more importantly, what not to buy (based on what I already have).
    He has sold off his Beretta tilt-ups but has many parts left over,
    so I might be able to upgrade what I have with a shiny new slide or the like,
    and have some fun that way,
    since his prices will reflect just getting rid of leftover parts from his hobby days,
    instead of someone trying to make a living from it (my kind of guy :laugh: ).
    He also has a bevy of Beretta and S/W handguns he will be "thining out"
    so that could be of interest in picking up a gun here or there.
    And, he has European 22LR rifles, of which I know nothing about,
    but the word ".22" got my attention.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    With 22 LR I always think semi auto. I always think target models. These used to be what I would say all newer shooter should get as a first pistol. Cheap to shoot. The 22 shortage made that a little harder to say but it seems that the shortage is over. Nothing against a nice 22 revolver but I like the pop pop pop of an auto pistol and the hit hit hit of a target gun even shooting cans and dirt clods or clay’s.

The normal suspects are the mark 2 rugers (I like them best) the buckmark brownings (they shoot above the price of the pistol) and the smith model 41’s (have never got the right deal on one) hammeralli and Olympic style pistols. Raised shooting bullseye with others I saw what those who shot well used. I always reached over the standard models and paid up for the targets of silly wet versions. My browning silly wet 22 pistol will shoot to 50 yards with many a rifle off the bench. An accurate 22 is the only way to go.

European 22 rifles? Annie? Or cz? Sporters or bench-rest? Talking right up my alley here. Even the cz’s shoot very well. Can’t go wrong.

Now when it comes to purchasing them take your time. They come along when you are least expecting them to show up. I attempt to stash 20-50 off every paycheck into the kitty for something new. Current cash flow in the kitty was smashed with late expenses around Xmas but is setting at a nominal 225 right now so it needs some time to expand again.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    With 22 LR I always think semi auto. I always think target models. These used to be what I would say all newer shooter should get as a first pistol. Cheap to shoot. The 22 shortage made that a little harder to say but it seems that the shortage is over. Nothing against a nice 22 revolver but I like the pop pop pop of an auto pistol and the hit hit hit of a target gun even shooting cans and dirt clods or clay’s.

The normal suspects are the mark 2 rugers (I like them best) the buckmark brownings (they shoot above the price of the pistol) and the smith model 41’s (have never got the right deal on one) hammeralli and Olympic style pistols. Raised shooting bullseye with others I saw what those who shot well used. I always reached over the standard models and paid up for the targets of silly wet versions. My browning silly wet 22 pistol will shoot to 50 yards with many a rifle off the bench. An accurate 22 is the only way to go.

European 22 rifles? Annie? Or cz? Sporters or bench-rest? Talking right up my alley here. Even the cz’s shoot very well. Can’t go wrong.

Now when it comes to purchasing them take your time. They come along when you are least expecting them to show up. I attempt to stash 20-50 off every paycheck into the kitty for something new. Current cash flow in the kitty was smashed with late expenses around Xmas but is setting at a nominal 225 right now so it needs some time to expand again.[/QUOTE

1. I hear you: "the kitty was smashed with late expense,"
    with our having to use nearly all our savings to sell our old and buy our new house,
    with all the expenses of getting a house up to standard.
    2. We came close to updating a vehicle,
    and that would have been another blow, we have put that off for a spell,
    which gives me some breathing room if there is something I find to buy (my opinion not the wife's :laugh:).
    3. I really need to sell a few guns, but I'm not ready since I haven't been to the range
    since Oct. and want to play with anything I would sell a little more,
    even if I know I won't keep it in the long run.
    The big decision is between my Smith 9mm (with 6 mags) or 45mm,
    and when/whether to cut the Smith SD9VE (with 5 mags) after some range time for my "education."
    4. I'm always open to .22 revolvers (especially the Smith 617 that I didn't buy b/c I bought the Ruger GP100), but people want too high a price for them to suit me.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had a Smith 648 6" (.22 magnum) that was crazy good.
    Used it for chucks and IHMSA Field Pistol.

A good rig, but too $ to shoot for just casual stuff.

Fair chunk o metal, weight and size. Sold it for way more than I paid for it (LNIB).
    Figured I'd get a 651 (j frame 4") for a "trail rig".
    Oops. Those went up more than the K frames.

Had a High Standard "Sharpshooter". It was a dandy. But..........my eyes have degraded so I ditched it and went with a Ruger that was D&T from the factory for optics.
    It needs help as the trigger sucks compared to the HS I had.

I really really like the small frame of the old Colt .22 autos. But prefer the balance of the 6" Match Target Woodsman best of all (all Colts anyway). They are stupid priced these days. I'd like one, just to have..........but irons and me are a fight. Dunno if I can get eye surgery to win the battle.

Best bang for the buck, have to be a Ruger MK or Buckmark.
    Dunno what used prices are these days.
    Mine is a Great 8 (distributor special)..........and I got it used. Used scope..........whole package assembled for $500.
    YMMV

gG17Q0G.jpg

Top Bottom