• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    This will be my first purchase, so I don't have anything to compare to, or anything to try and get close to my carry weapon. I'm thinking ill go cheap this time, then check out the m&p at the 1500, see if that interests me

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Mark III is the highest quality gun you listed. If your training for carry/shooting a 1911 get the 22/45. For a polymer gun I'd go with the SR22. And no, I'm not a huge Ruger fanboy at all but I think they make some solid 22's. the M&P22 is about the only one I haven't fired a whole lot but I can't imagine its not put together pretty decent too.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    My apologies, I did not realize the others were so much less expensive.
    By all means go for your budget, but you are more than welcome to try mine out if you ever desire.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I have a M&P 22 and it comes to the range with me all the time. It is one of my favorite pistols and deserves a look.

Last edited:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I love my P22. Lots of friends and family members have shot it and everyone loves it.

I was originally worried because of the way Walther drops the mags, but it is easy to get used to and is truly ambidextrous for left handed shooters. It gets my vote.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Does anyone have any opinion of the SIG Sauer Mosquito in .22LR? That was another one that caught my eye while looking, the purple was very unique. This also had some great reviews, and is at my LGS, although I have heard that SIG Sauer can lack accuracy.

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I had a Mosquito and while it looks good and feels nice in your hand it was not reliable at all. I feed my M&P 22 any type of 22lr ammo without any issues.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Most would say the mk II is better than the mk III, because Ruger lawyered up and put a bunch of unneeded safety features on the mk III. MK II for 150 is a NO BRAINER. Take care of it... or don't, either way it will outlast you.

Buy that mk ii. Most would agree that it's one of (if not the) best production .22 semi-autos ever made. And yes, the mkII is a better firearm than the mkIII due to the extra lawyer junk they put on the mkIII.

if you don't buy it, pm me your dads info. I'd love to buy such a low round count mkII for $150.

vanguard2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Fairmount
    I have experience with the Ruger Mk1, Mk2, and Mk3. Any of those are excellent choices. My old Mk1 has had thousands of rounds through it and no issues at all. When it comes to new versions, the Mk3 is very hard to beat.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Either the Mark 2 or 3 will serve you fine. There are two significant safety features added to the Mark 3 and one (the magazine disconnect) is easily and commonly disabled because people don't like it. Since you can get a good price on the Mark 2 and it is in good shape, go for it and be happy. It is built like a tank and will last you a lifetime.

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    The Mark II isn't really for sale, my father just doesn't use it so I'm just going to ask if I can buy it. Even if I don't buy it, it is going to be staying in family. My grandfather gave it to my dad, my dad will hopefully give it to me, and hopefully I will be giving it to my son when the time comes.

Seems like everyone is in agreement on the Mark II or III, so I will be asking about the II tonight. If anyone has any more recommendations, feel free to keep replying. I'm always wanting to learn from people who know more than I do!

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I'm just gonna pile on here with the mkII if you can get it from your dad on the cheap. I have a 22/45 lite threaded and its awesome. The P22 is is nice but if you limp wrist it at all, you can get fte's. my wife was able to practice lots of malfunction drills due to limp wristing.

I have not fired the SR22 but I'm sure it's gtg being a ruger. I'd stay away from the Sig mosquito. IIRC, sig doesn't even make them, they outsource the mfg and label them as sig.

Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    I have the Walther p22, Ruger 22/45 Lite, and a MKII. All three are great guns. I would start out with trying to get your dads MKII, then upgrade later. Any one you choose, you will like. I tend to use the Rugers more, and my MKII is a 10" target model and will shoot anything, holding the tightest group.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I love my SR22. Like others have said, I have not had any problems shooting any kind of .22lr ammo and I've even had a mixture of cartridges/brands in the mags just to see how it would operate. Nothing fazes it. Now that I've shot up all of my old ammo, I use exclusively CCI Stingers for it and my 10/22. Bought tons of it before the scare on ammo, but I see some bulk target loads being available now.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Also, my father has a Ruger Mark II that he rarely uses. The only time it gets used is when we go to my grandparents house, which is becoming less and less often. I could probably buy it off of him, for much cheaper than the other guns. Should I consider this as well, or would I be happier with the others?

Thanks.

I'd go for the Mark II.... If I had a choice between a Mark II or III and both were of equal condition/configuration and also were equally priced, I'd go for the Mark II in a heartbeat.....

The Walther and the SR22 are both good pistols... I have the Walther and really like it... But for a first pistol, IMHO, the Mark series has the edge... The P22 or SR22 would be a great choice when you want to add another...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I'd go for the Mark II.... If I had a choice between a Mark II or III and both were of equal condition/configuration and also were equally priced, I'd go for the Mark II in a heartbeat.....

The Walther and the SR22 are both good pistols... I have the Walther and really like it... But for a first pistol, IMHO, the Mark series has the edge... The P22 or SR22 would be a great choice when you want to add another...

I would go for your grandfather's pistol, because as you said, you would probably get it for a great price. As a matter of "edge", I would suppose that would be dependent upon your utilization.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    When I had a similar decision to make, the Ruger SR22 had recently come out. I went with the SR22 over the Walther P22 because I liked the SR22's more standard magazine release and I found the thumb safety to be easier to manipulate over the P22's. I also contemplated a Ruger Mark II/III, but I've heard stories about the difficulties of disassembly and cleaning for the Mark II/III pistols.

The SR22 has been a great gun for me. It'll shoot anything it's fed, it's easy to use, and easy to clean.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I don't think you could go wrong with of the Ruger guns you're looking at. I went through the P22 vs SR22 decision myself about 6 months back. I read all kinds of reviews and talked to a lot of folks. In the end, I picked the SR22. It just works with anything you shove through it. And It is pretty darned accurate too. As for the Mark II or III, I just find them cool looking. Trying to pick between the Mark II or III and the SR22 would be a tough call. I would expect the same reliability and accuracy either way. In fact I am looking to buy a Mark III myself as soon as I come across one I like.

Top Bottom