• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Alan (A&A Optics) said a few weeks back that he thought they'd be on shelves by March sometime. I'm sure the time frame will be more accurate after SHOT Show. Here's a brief overview from SHOT Show. I really want to look through one of these, if the glass is anything like the Viper PST I may be switching my optic.

Based on watching the video I don't think I'd be interested in it. I take it that the erectors in the Strike Eagle are plastic? He also said the quality of the glass is less. I know it's a lot less money and I can't afford to put the PST 1-6 on, but I just don't want a low quality item just to meet my price point. And I'll bet this one is made in China. Though my 2-7 Rimfire is made in China, it will be fine for a plinking .22, but honestly, if I had known it was made there, I would not have purchased it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Look at the Burris LRS 1-4. It has an illuminated reticle at a push of the button and is an awesome scope. You'll enjoy the magnification especially bc you mentioned your eyes aren't the best

Do you think I would be better off with a magnified optic since my eyes are getting older vs. a holographic like the Eotech? My regular distance vision is 20/20, 20/15. But I have to wear readers for anything up close. I even wear readers to shoot pistol to make the front sight blade clear and sharp.

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Is it out yet? I saw that the other day and was wondering how they got it "budget".

Probably made in China vs. made in Japan like the Razor. Also won't have the HD glass. The new scope is a lot lighter.

I splurged and bought a Razor 1-6 midway through the 2013 season. If this new 1-6x would have been out I probably would have gone that route instead, but now that I have the Razor there is no going back.

Vortex has the best warranty in the business backing up some very good optics. Their less expensive stuff is a good value and I don't see reports of anything breaking or being sub-par. Their high end stuff is competitive with Leupold and Swaro.

I think a big competitive advantage Vortex has is their reticles. Mil reticles are wasted on 1-4x or 1-6x scopes, IMHO. A good BDC calibrated properly is faster and more intuitive for 3-gunning and for most short-medium range shooting. Some of the scopes on the market use absurdly large dots that will obscure most, if not all, of the target that you are trying to hit at 300-400 yards. I'm not sure who ever thought that was a good idea. The JM-1 reticle is superb and while not an exact copy, the new Strike Eagle reticle is nearly a copy and with all the important features.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So after you guys gave me all this good advice and stuff to think about, today I went and looked through some red dots. And I have decided I would rather have a 1-4X scope after all.:)

My eyes will benefit from having some magnification. I am also thinking about blurring the left lens of my shooting glasses so I can relax my eyes and make my right eye the dominant eye. I have cellophane tape on my shotgun shooting glasses and it works well in getting my right eye to look straight down the barrel instead of coming in from the left at an angle.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don't know how you could shoot 3-gun with one eye closed and taking the time to line up a magnifier.

Yeah, I probably just need to concede that I won't be able to shoot those types of events. It looks like fun, but I think my time has past.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    BS. go shoot. Figure out what works best for you.
    -rvb

:+1: Don't know if you can't do it till ya try. At least show up to a match and watch, if you need a better feel for what you'll be doing.

Yeah, I just posted that for a comment made about not being able to do something. I have supported Special Olympics since 1993 and have seen people with severe handicaps having a better time in life than most of us do. I won't let some vision problems stop me from trying. If I lose some peripheral vision, I'm not really worried about the cardboard or steel returning fire.:) I have loved guns all my life, but for 20+ years didn't shoot. Now that I am deciding to get back into it, I have aged and I am not as sharp as the younger guys. But I don't play the age card. After all at age 55 I feel pretty good for a 35 year old.:) I have never done action type shooting other than Trap, but is looks like a lot more fun than shooting off a bench into a paper target. Though I even like doing that.

When I took up Trap, I was hitting 8-10 out of 25. I was listening to all the advice about both eyes open, switching to left, etc. When I finally just put a piece of tape over my left lens like an old shotgunner told me to do, my scores instantly went up to 17-19 avg. I was not competitive with the avid gunners who were missing 0-2 per round, but I still had a lot of fun!

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I am also thinking about blurring the left lens of my shooting glasses so I can relax my eyes and make my right eye the dominant eye. I have cellophane tape on my shotgun shooting glasses and it works well in getting my right eye to look straight down the barrel instead of coming in from the left at an angle.

When I took up Trap, I was hitting 8-10 out of 25. I was listening to all the advice about both eyes open, switching to left, etc. When I finally just put a piece of tape over my left lens like an old shotgunner told me to do, my scores instantly went up to 17-19 avg. I was not competitive with the avid gunners who were missing 0-2 per round, but I still had a lot of fun!

Lots of guys run tape on their weak-side eye, especially if they have a dominance issue vs an actual vision problem... which sounds like what you're describing for your situation.

the biggest benefit of a 1-4 or 1-6 over a dot isn't necessarily the magnification, but the hold-over... it's nice to put a hash on at distance vs guessing at how high to hold the dot.

-rvb

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Lots of guys run tape on their weak-side eye, especially if they have a dominance issue vs an actual vision problem... which sounds like what you're describing for your situation.

the biggest benefit of a 1-4 or 1-6 over a dot isn't necessarily the magnification, but the hold-over... it's nice to put a hash on at distance vs guessing at how high to hold the dot.

-rvb

Correct. I am cross dominant.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

I played with the Leupold D-EVO last weekend. Its the first time in years they have produced a great product. It would definitely take some getting accustom to, but once you did I think it would be a great system.

Back to the moral of the story, some folks just cant do 1-4's. Its kind of rare, but it does happen. If you cant do a 1-4, you cant do the 1-6 either. The 1-6 will be priced at 329, they lowered the price vs the PST -1-4 by lowering the glass quality, and it spending less time in glass etching (not nearly as much info as the PST 1-4). That is how they lowered the price for the most part, but Im still blown away they got it down to 329. This scope would sell just as fast at 500 as it would at 329. They do not have a plastic errector, and I am hopfull shipments will start trickling in early April. That date is just a estimate.

If I were doing a Eotech, I would probably go with the 557 ar 223. I would not plan on the holdovers lining up, but I would find out what the holdovers mean with my load, and go from there.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom