• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bullfrog80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    Terre Haute
    .308 all the way... The others are fantastic rounds but unless you reload they are very expensive. You can pick up nato .308 to plink a lot inexpensively and get good.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Im leaning twords either the .308 or the 7mm rem mag. I do like the fact that the .308 is redily available any were you go an is a cheaper round(Also seems that the match grade rounds are a little cheaper) but the 7mm is a little flatter shooting.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    .308 all the way... The others are fantastic rounds but unless you reload they are very expensive. You can pick up nato .308 to plink a lot inexpensively and get good.
    Uhh, no. Not in a precision rifle you don't. Its pointless. You set your scope and rifle for a specific lot of ammo, or a specific load if you reload. You make a log of every single round you fire, your scope settings, all your environmentals, the range, your impact, etc. Shooting some random surplus **** out of your gun is going to be #1 inaccurate (comparatively speaking) #2 will force unnecessary wear on the barrel (in general, for no gain in accuracy) and # 3 each time you change ammo, you will have to re-zero for it, wasting time just "shooting" when you are working backwards because you have hindered accuracy with a lesser quality round. The idea is to become as accurate as possible with that rifle, optic, cartridge combo, not just go out shooting.

In an FAL, G3, Saiga .308 or even a $400 wal-mart special, go ahead and shoot that surplus ammo. In a precision rifle, you want to shoot match, match, and only match. Or hand loaded equivalent. The surplus has less quality control as far as bullet weight, cartridge overall length (COAL), case thickness, crimp pressure, bullet seat depth, and powder charge. Match ammo is FAR MORE CONSISTENT than surplus, or commercially produced "hunting ammo".

When you reload, you can control EVERY SINGLE ASPECT of that cartridge, right down to how the bullet engages the rifling (which is very important). Some guys will also tell you if you use the same brass in the same bolt gun, you don't have to resize the brass. That means you get a lot more shots out of one case.
    I don't want to seem like an A-Hole, but there is a lot of misinformation out there on the internet, and it's up to you to sift through it.
    What is the recoil difference between the .308 vs the 7mm rem mag?
    In my opinion, .308 is considerably softer recoil.

Last edited:

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Very much this.

If I was serious about 1000m shooting, I'd be looking at 6mmBR.

AFAIK 6mmBR is not found in a whole lot of rifles, is expensive to shoot, and pretty much HAS to be reloaded. It is not for the guy just getting into LR shooting for several reasons. There is a ton more ballistic and reloading data out there for the .308, and the .300 Win Mag. This guy is on a slight budget from what I've been reading. It is important for a new guy to be able to open a reloading manual, Google page, or manufacture general ballistics table to determine what your load should be doing. Not try to develop your own table. IMHO, 6mmBR is pretty frickin' exotic for a new to long range shooter, and would cost him more in accessories to support the cartridge than it will the others mentioned. Not to mention the cost of a rifle chambered in that round. 6mm BR is more of a "dream world cartridge".

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Savage chambers four rifles for 6mm Norma BR, which is 6mmBR with a longer throat. As I happen to be downstairs, I checked, and three of my reloading manuals have 6mmBR sections, and Midway has dies from five different makers.

There are entire websites devoted to the 6mmBR family of cartridges. Since it's the cartridge that wins, people tend to use it.

Sounds like frickin' exotic black magic to me. :n00b:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    It seems that the .308 is the best place to start. A relitivley cheaper round, and you can find them anywere. I dont really need anything to exotic. Like was stated, wanting something to get into the LR shooting sport. Maybe in 5 yrs or so after I get better an a more specialized rilfe is needed, i can get one then. But as of right now up to 1000yrds is going to be prolly the limit and if a .308 will consistantly get me there, that may be the way to go.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    I have a R700 SPS Police in .308 and its more gun than i need. Now i know the military is going to the 300 Mag for their sniper rifles but you are talking about shooting targets at over 1000 m range. Im going the other direction with it...i want to trade my .308 for a .223.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I honestly considered the .223 but I think that would be to light a bullet to get out that far accuratly( i may be wrong). Got the GF talked into going to the gun shop next week to check out some rifles. hope to have a better descion then

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    ive thought about the 30-06, but seems like all the shops around me never have anything chambered in that round. Told buy one shop owner a while back, that he never really sells them, so he dont keep them in stock any more.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Well I have finally made up my mind,lol. I have decided I want a .308 chambering, but I have been going back an forth on whitch rifle to get. I know I want a detachable box mag, and would like to have a muzzle break, but the only savage that has those things starts out a over 900 bucks, so im tore again. I guess you dont always get what you want. Although Mossberg has a nice rifle with everything I want and a good price but no one has it available always sold out. So stressfull gettin trying to get a new rifle

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Welp goin to go place my rifle order after work looks like Im goint to get one of the savage AXIS models in .308. Now just to wait for it to come in!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Sweet, I don't think you can go wrong with a .308. I like the 30-06 quite well myself but you're right about ammo being easier to find in .308. Can't wait to see the rifle and good luck!

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Sweet, I don't think you can go wrong with a .308. I like the 30-06 quite well myself but you're right about ammo being easier to find in .308. Can't wait to see the rifle and good luck!

Yea i wanted something i could afford to shoot,lol. i think this rifle is a perfect blend of quality and value. I think With practice and quality glass I can get it out to my 500yd mark.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I shoot a lot of large calibers but they are all World War 2 era rifles, and I use iron sights so it's not the same as what you are setting up for. Sounds like you picked a good choice! I have shot Savage rifles before and they were quite nice.

Top Bottom