• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thinking about the possible purchase of a new bolt rifle in either .300 win mag or .308, for long range shooting, probably go with a savage. Which would you prefer and why?

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Well, thats a tough question. You are looking in the right direction when you are looking at Savage. Don't let ANYBODY tell you otherwise. All the rest are overpriced. There is a member here seeing .25 MOA out of his 10 FLCP-K.
    For magnum rifle, I would recommend the Savage 110 FCP if they still make it. That is their long action police model with detachable box magazine, accu-trigger, and accu-stock. Do not buy a Savage unless it has the Accu-trigger and Accu-stock. The 10 FCP would be my .308 recommendation. Same as before, just short action, because .308 is shorter.

I am asking myself the same question, and am leaning towards 300 win mag or 7mm rem mag. You are talking about the same basic cost for the rifle, scope base, rings, optic, bipod, sling, and case, just more money for ammo, better range, and a flatter shooting cartridge. If you reload, which you should plan on doing to be as accurate as possible, ammo cost is still higher respectively, but not as much.

One thing you need to ask yourself is, what do you consider long range. Is it 600yd? Is it 1000? Are we talking 1500yd here? Anything .308 can do, .300 win mag can do better. 7mm rem mag is flatter shooting than both too. If you are never going to shoot past 1000, then really, .308 would be fine, and might save you money in the long run.

I am a lefty, so my .308 Savage of choice is the 10 FLCP-K. I am going to talk to them about a left handed long action fitted with a threaded bull barrel for .300 or 7mm very soon though, mainly because I want a detachable mag, not a hinged floor plate.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Well, thats a tough question. You are looking in the right direction when you are looking at Savage. Don't let ANYBODY tell you otherwise. All the rest are overpriced. There is a member here seeing .25 MOA out of his 10 FLCP-K.
    For magnum rifle, I would recommend the Savage 110 FCP if they still make it. That is their long action police model with detachable box magazine, accu-trigger, and accu-stock. Do not buy a Savage unless it has the Accu-trigger and Accu-stock. The 10 FCP would be my .308 recommendation. Same as before, just short action, because .308 is shorter.

I am asking myself the same question, and am leaning towards 300 win mag or 7mm rem mag. You are talking about the same basic cost for the rifle, scope base, rings, optic, bipod, sling, and case, just more money for ammo, better range, and a flatter shooting cartridge. If you reload, which you should plan on doing to be as accurate as possible, ammo cost is still higher respectively, but not as much.

One thing you need to ask yourself is, what do you consider long range. Is it 600yd? Is it 1000? Are we talking 1500yd here? Anything .308 can do, .300 win mag can do better. 7mm rem mag is flatter shooting than both too. If you are never going to shoot past 1000, then really, .308 would be fine, and might save you money in the long run.

I am a lefty, so my .308 Savage of choice is the 10 FLCP-K. I am going to talk to them about a left handed long action fitted with a threaded bull barrel for .300 or 7mm very soon though, mainly because I want a detachable mag, not a hinged floor plate.

Thanks for great info:yesway:, I guess I should consider 7mm rem mag also the? I do like the idea of a detach box mag, Im probably going to be under 1000yrds. I guess the main thing is I only want to buy this kind of rifle once, if ya know what I mean. Thanks

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Thanks for great info:yesway:, I guess I should consider 7mm rem mag also the? I do like the idea of a detach box mag, Im probably going to be under 1000yrds. I guess the main thing is I only want to buy this kind of rifle once, if ya know what I mean. Thanks

I know exactly what you mean.

It stirs a fire in my belly when I hear people say things like "there are better rifle choices out there" "why buy a Savage" "Why not get a Remington" and "Don't hamstring yourself with either one".

Let me tell you now that the Savage is going to be a better rifle than just about anything else. We're talking value here. You may find a better rifle, but not for the price. For the price, you are getting a great value. I am here to tell you, for the price ($700-800) you are getting about $1500 worth of rifle.

Yes, I would encourage you to do ballistic table comparisons of, and read about 7mm Rem Mag VS .300 Win Mag. I will NOT tell you which one to get, because I have yet to make that decision. Also, I know there is a temptation when buying a Savage to look towards their HS Precision and McMillian stock options. I don't think they are necessary, and are not bedded as well as the Savage Accu-stock.

If you are going to be 1000m on in, just go with the 10 FCP in .308. It will save you money on ammo. There is a ~$20 difference per box of 20 comercial match rounds between the magnums mentioned and .308, typically. Also, recoil is something to think about. Really, the 3 calibers we are talking about are 3 of the best commonly produced long range cartridges. Best as far as ballistics, availability, price, and capability. There are TONS of .30 and 7mm bullets out there.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thinking about the possible purchase of a new bolt rifle in either .300 win mag or .308, for long range shooting, probably go with a savage. Which would you prefer and why?

I started out at 1,00 yards with a .338 Lapua magnum and soon realized I didn't need anything close to that out to 1,000 yards. I ended up building a .308 bench gun that shoots just as accurately out to a 1,000. Ive seen guys shooting .243s and 6 mm all they way out to 1,000. I guess a 300 Win Mag would work, but it sure isn't necessary.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I started out at 1,00 yards with a .338 Lapua magnum and soon realized I didn't need anything close to that out to 1,000 yards. I ended up building a .308 bench gun that shoots just as accurately out to a 1,000. Ive seen guys shooting .243s and 6 mm all they way out to 1,000. I guess a 300 Win Mag would work, but it sure isn't necessary.

Thats kind of what I was wondering.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I know exactly what you mean.

It stirs a fire in my belly when I hear people say things like "there are better rifle choices out there" "why buy a Savage" "Why not get a Remington" and "Don't hamstring yourself with either one".

Let me tell you now that the Savage is going to be a better rifle than just about anything else. We're talking value here. You may find a better rifle, but not for the price. For the price, you are getting a great value. I am here to tell you, for the price ($700-800) you are getting about $1500 worth of rifle.

Yes, I would encourage you to do ballistic table comparisons of, and read about 7mm Rem Mag VS .300 Win Mag. I will NOT tell you which one to get, because I have yet to make that decision. Also, I know there is a temptation when buying a Savage to look towards their HS Precision and McMillian stock options. I don't think they are necessary, and are not bedded as well as the Savage Accu-stock.

If you are going to be 1000m on in, just go with the 10 FCP in .308. It will save you money on ammo. There is a ~$20 difference per box of 20 comercial match rounds between the magnums mentioned and .308, typically. Also, recoil is something to think about. Really, the 3 calibers we are talking about are 3 of the best commonly produced long range cartridges. Best as far as ballistics, availability, price, and capability. There are TONS of .30 and 7mm bullets out there.

I guess seein as how im just going to be punching paper with this thing, I should probably look into the flatest shooting cartridge, would you think? This will be a strickly target rifle, but not looking to spend a months wages on one, I should be able to get something like this for the $500 range ya think? I just hate to buy a smaller caliber and it end up not doing what I wanted, so thats why im trying to figure out the best option. Thanks again!

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I just called Savage to find out about getting what would essentially be a 110 FLCP-K ( left handed long action .300 Win Mag with Detachable box magazine, fluted heavy barrel, muzzle break). $1025. Not bad at all.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    I guess seein as how im just going to be punching paper with this thing, I should probably look into the flatest shooting cartridge, would you think? This will be a strickly target rifle, but not looking to spend a months wages on one, I should be able to get something like this for the $500 range ya think? I just hate to buy a smaller caliber and it end up not doing what I wanted, so thats why im trying to figure out the best option. Thanks again!

Uh, for the rifle, $500, maybe. Then you need to figure about $500 for optic, mount, rings, bipod, sling, case, etc. What you have to realize is, the faster the bullet, the flatter the trajectory. The lighter the bullet is, the more affected it will be by the wind. Just because you can punch paper at 1000yd with a 110gr .243 doesn't mean you won't get frustrated or run out of windage adjustment doing it.

For optic, I would recommend Millett Buck Gold 4-16x50 Mil Dot ~$250. Rings, Burris Extreme tactical rings ~$40-$50.

Oop, gotta go, be back later.

Last edited:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Uh, for the rifle, $500, maybe. Then you need to figure about $500 for optic, mount, rings, bipod, sling, case, etc. What you have to realize is, the faster the bullet, the flatter the trajectory. The lighter the bullet is, the more affected it will be by the wind. Just because you can punch paper at 1000yd with a 110gr .243 doesn't mean you won't get frustrated or run out of windage adjustment doing it.

For optic, I would recommend Millett Buck Gold 4-16x50 Mil Dot ~$250. Rings, Burris Extreme tactical rings ~$40-$50.

Oop, gotta go, be back later.

Ive got the scope takin care of, my brother hooked me up with a nice leupold scope, got to get rings and a base and bipod an sling. But good call on the lighter bullet, never thought of that but it is true! But on the same token no need in getting something that could take down an elephant either,lol

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Ive got the scope takin care of, my brother hooked me up with a nice leupold scope, got to get rings and a base and bipod an sling. But good call on the lighter bullet, never thought of that but it is true! But on the same token no need in getting something that could take down an elephant either,lol

What kind of reticle is the Leupold scope? It's not a 100% requirement to have a ranging reticle (Mil Dots are the most common) but it sure is helpful.

.308 you are probably going to find yourself shooting a 168 grain to 175 grain bullet. Those are the two most common match ammo weights for it.

.300 Win Mag you are looking at 180-200 grain being the most common.

7mm Rem Mag is typically around 140 grain, but its faster than the other two.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    for sale

I just called Savage to find out about getting what would essentially be a 110 FLCP-K ( left handed long action .300 Win Mag with Detachable box magazine, fluted heavy barrel, muzzle break). $1025. Not bad at all.

Check the classifieds. Mine is for sale. .308 short action.
    DSCN0999.jpg

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    If you are going .300 winchester magnum, don't go cheap on it!
    I think that goes without saying. Its one of those things, hows that saying go, buy cheap pay twice, buy quality, pay once.

Another thing to consider is break in procedure, and maintenance. I rarely, if ever buy a gun used. The reason for that is, you never know how somebody treated the before you got it. I mean, if a barrel didn't get broken in properly, or the throat is worn (which will cause a serious loss in accuracy), you can never tell. At least a Savage is decently easy to change the barrel on. There is always a reason somebody sells a gun. Maybe it wasn't accurate enough, maybe it was too much recoil, you just never know.

Last edited:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

I would buy a .308 WIN. & not look back, cause the ammo is cheaper to shoot, a larger selection, & it kicks less:twocents:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    What kind of reticle is the Leupold scope? It's not a 100% requirement to have a ranging reticle (Mil Dots are the most common) but it sure is helpful.

.308 you are probably going to find yourself shooting a 168 grain to 175 grain bullet. Those are the two most common match ammo weights for it.

.300 Win Mag you are looking at 180-200 grain being the most common.

7mm Rem Mag is typically around 140 grain, but its faster than the other two.

Its a mill dot reticle. It really looks like the 7mm might be the way to go, kind of on the light side, but has the speed to make up for it, that might be the way to go for punchin paper

Top Bottom