Which Revolver do you enjoy Shooting the Most?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Which Revolver do you enjoy Shooting the Most?

As a wheel-gun guy, I'm just curious as to which revolver to you consider to be your favorite to shoot...target, hunt, whatever? (I hope I'm not repeating a thread here...)

I spent some time today shooting the Ruger SP101, 4" .22lr revolver that I just picked up via Gunbroker. What a fun gun to shoot...and accurate! I have a 6.5" Ruger Single-Six (.22lr/.22mag.) that is just as fun.

I think my favorite is my Ruger GP100, 4' fixed-sight revolver in .357mag. It's accurate, tough as nails, and the gun's weight handles Hornady's 158 grain JHP's just fine!

Let me know what you like...I know there's some revolver lovers out there! :rockwoot:

MerKWorK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Muncie
    S&W Airweight! Okay Okay, I've only shot that and and a .44 mag charter arms...Charter stopped working. But the Airweight was king. My wife Loved shooting that little J frame!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Tough question as I enjoy all of my revolvers. I have revolvers for carry, competition, hunting, even some just for fun. If I had to narrow it down to naming a single favorite I think the nod would go to my 5 inch S&W 625. It is capable of firing 5 different .45 cartridges tho it seems to get shot with 45 Super the most. Very accurate, very slick action, and it carries nicely in a Kramer crossdraw.

625coldsteel.jpg

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My S&W 500 magnum with 575 gr slugs out of a 2" barrel. When shooting steel plates, you only need to hit one and the rest drop down from the impact. Sometimes the hit is strong enough to knock the plate down and then the recoil from the impact re-sets the plate back in place. The X-frame S&W is so stable that you can shoot really nice groups even with a 2" barrel. I love the impact from the concussion when I shoot. It feels like someone is smacking you in the chest and face with a hot, wet blanket.

Someone asked why I bought a 500 S&W magnum and I explained that there hasn't been a Grizzly bear attack in Ft Wayne since I got it. Makes sense to me.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    My S&W 500 magnum with 575 gr slugs out of a 2" barrel. When shooting steel plates, you only need to hit one and the rest drop down from the impact. Sometimes the hit is strong enough to knock the plate down and then the recoil from the impact re-sets the plate back in place. The X-frame S&W is so stable that you can shoot really nice groups even with a 2" barrel. I love the impact from the concussion when I shoot. It feels like someone is smacking you in the chest and face with a hot, wet blanket.

Someone asked why I bought a 500 S&W magnum and I explained that there hasn't been a Grizzly bear attack in Ft Wayne since I got it. Makes sense to me.

:+1:

I shot Dave's snub nose 500 S&W and loved it (thanks, Dave, for the $15 worth of ammo in five shots!) My wife, who likes recoil, even shot it, but only two rounds. "It packs a wallop!" she said.

It was about equivalent to a double .44 mag. The thing I remember is my toes came up inside my shoes--rocked back on the heels every shot! Dave is right about accuracy: almost a ragged hole group from 5 yards. I laminated the target!

Last edited:

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Andy219's 500 smith.
    Gunbunnies' 357 Maximum

Mostly because when I shoot them it's with their ammo.

I like my 4 inch smith 64 and that's what I shoot most.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    My favorite revolver to shoot is my old S&W model 27, .357. I shoot pretty well with it up to 25 yards at paper plates. The fun revolvers to shoot are any of my 4 .44s, particularly the Ruger Redhawk and the Super Redhawk. My Ruger Super Redhawk in Ruger .480 is not so much fun to shoot due to its recoil. I have not shot a S&W .500 or .460, but do not feel like I have lived a deprived life and my wrists will probably thank me for it.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    The S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece I inherited from Dad. It reminds me of spending time with him and that old Kframe action is slicker than snot on a doorknob!

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Pretty much a toss-up between my old Dan Wesson 15-2 and my 5" S&W 625. Bonus with the 625 is that I can shoot up any handload experiments that my semiauto .45 ACP's don't like and have a ball doing it.

slars1327

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    SPEEDWAY AREA
    I have several that I love dearly......I shoot my old mdl 66 4" alot It was an original duty weapon and it is a joy to shoot. I also have a model 57 4" that is really fun it was magnaported and I found the most comfort feeling grips. the gun is a dream to shoot. Last but not least is an old hiway patrolman in 6" it is a very nice shooter. I have a mdl 25 in 45 colt 6" but it has been in my safe for years haven't shot it yet. No reason why.....just haven't gotten around to tinkering with it yet.

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    No contest it would be my grandfathers S&W Model 57 6" 41 mag. Not only does it remind me of him, but its beautiful. Its from back when S&W did the really deep blue finish... and no full underlug, huge wide trigger and hammer spur. It just looks right.

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    First revolver I ever had the joy of firing was Manans 686. I'd kill to find one just like his because it was accurate as all get out and buttery smooth :)

84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    I'm torn between between my Smith 629 and my GP100, both stainless 6" barrels. I love to shoot both of them but I tend to shoot the GP more often based on .357 and .38 being cheaper than .44 mag.

Top Bottom