• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I'm thinking about getting a tablet for those times sitting at the computer isn't convenient. I've never had one so this will be a first. Anyone have advice for a newbie?

I'm thinking about the 10" screen, will be for internet browsing, email, apps etc. I would classify it as "light use"

Probably not concerned about cell connection, don't want to pay another monthly bill, and my phone will do most things I need. Will most likely just be using it on Wi fi at home or the occasional vacation.

I'm not ruling out the Ipad but probably leaning more towards an Android tablet since thats what my phone is.

I don't even know all the questions to ask, but any input is appreciated.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    My brother and I both have Acers. I've got the ICONIA a200 and I believe he has the ICONIA a500. His has a few more goodies (better camera and an additional camera) but mine was cheaper and was a great replacement for college textbooks. I'm not a huge fan of typing on a tablet but you can get cases with usb or bluetooth keyboards. I decided that inexpensive was better than being able to connect if there wasn't wifi signal. There are so many public places with free wifi that it doesn't really make much sense to me to add another monthly bill just so I can use it anywhere.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    None are better than the iPad, but I use my laptop mostly.

Can you give some actual reasons none are better than an iPad? Maybe some side by side benchtop tests? From my research when I was buying, you could spend less money for very, very similar specs on a handful of different android tablets.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I think I'm picking up a Windows 8 RT Tablet this week. I know there is a kiosk with them at the Keystone mall. Not sure if they have them in Plainfield or anywhere else :dunno:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Ignore the Apple koolaid BS, I've got a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 wifi only,not only do I love it, but I've had far fewer problems than my firefighter housemates and their ipads. Apple makes a good product but their superior elitist crap has to go.

I ignored the otterbox and bought a gumdrop case... also a superior product.

2 points: I can't go online while driving (I chose not to have the 4g)- no biggie
    The male charging cable has a design flaw and wears out over time, but is easily replaced by Samsung.

Using the galaxy is easier than ipad and less expensive. Plus if you are already in the android cult, you can skip the heart eating blood drinking first week of hazing.

Multi-app interface
    Tactile buttons
    Reliable apps
    Taskbar interface
    Don't have to go into apple store to buy
    Front & user facing cameras
    If you are already on gmail/android you sync 100% in about 1min

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I have an iPad 3 and while I do love it I have found I can get more done with my laptop. I bought it to do school work on and I have found my school makes heavy use of Flash presentations so I can't use it for that. I'm thinking the iPad may find itself up for sale pretty soon. It is a very neat device and I doubt you would be unhappy with one. I am far from an Apple fan boy, but I do think they make nice products.

I played with the Note tablet at Fry's and it seemed nice. Shrug. The Google Nexus 10 coming out shortly sounds like it has some pretty solid hardware and it may put Apple on notice.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Toshiba thrive. A love mine. Quick, beautiful screen, android, and I didn't have to sort to being a hooker to afford it

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I think I'm picking up a Windows 8 RT Tablet this week. I know there is a kiosk with them at the Keystone mall. Not sure if they have them in Plainfield or anywhere else :dunno:

Do yourself a favor and wait for the PRO model. THe RT model will only run software downloaded from the windows store, but the PRO will be a full blown version of windows and all your existing software will work as well.

I will take a serious look at dumping my IPad3 for the Surface PRO.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Do yourself a favor and wait for the PRO model. THe RT model will only run software downloaded from the windows store, but the PRO will be a full blown version of windows and all your existing software will work as well.

I will take a serious look at dumping my IPad3 for the Surface PRO.

Yeah, I know. But I want a tablet to be a tablet. I don't want it to be a laptop replacement.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    My main problem with the iPad is having to pay a ridiculous sum to get more memory, vs expanding the memory yourself with an sdCard on an Android tablet for MUCH less.

My son has an iPad, it is well built, runs great, etc, but IMO you can get that in a high end Android tablet as well, but at a lower price without the proprietary nature of the Apple product..

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    My main problem with the iPad is having to pay a ridiculous sum to get more memory, vs expanding the memory yourself with an sdCard on an Android tablet for MUCH less.

My son has an iPad, it is well built, runs great, etc, but IMO you can get that in a high end Android tablet as well, but at a lower price without the proprietary nature of the Apple product..

What is proprietary about Apple products?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Perhaps I should have said "non user upgrade-able, modifiable and/or replaceable" in regards to batteries, memory, connectors, software/apps etc. Although, you must admit that the Android OS is much more "open" and iOS much more "proprietary" ..

Last edited:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Are you serious? What isn't. Their new connector is so proprietary they're trying to keep others from using it by controlling the supply of pins for it. They want to be the only source and certify everything that plugs into their devices. Charge with a $2 cable? Forget it, you have to pay $10. Want to connect it to your TV? Oh that'll be $150 for what amounts to not much more than an HDMI cable.

@OP, if you've never seriously used a tablet, see if you can borrow one from a friend for a week or so. Tablets are great gadgets, but in the end that's about all they are. You can browse INGO, but as soon as you want to reply to a post, the tablet's biggest shortcoming will show itself. :) As for which one to get, I'd still go for an Android tablet before Windows RT. RT may catch up, but I don't think they have the developer base that apple and android do. If you really want a windows tablet, I'd seriously look at the Surface Pro or one of the convertible ultrabooks coming out. I myself always find myself in need of a keyboard.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    @OP, if you've never seriously used a tablet, see if you can borrow one from a friend for a week or so. Tablets are great gadgets, but in the end that's about all they are. You can browse INGO, but as soon as you want to reply to a post, the tablet's biggest shortcoming will show itself. :) As for which one to get, I'd still go for an Android tablet before Windows RT. RT may catch up, but I don't think they have the developer base that apple and android do. If you really want a windows tablet, I'd seriously look at the Surface Pro or one of the convertible ultrabooks coming out. I myself always find myself in need of a keyboard.

You do realize that the covers on the Surface tablets are also keyboards, right?

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I really like all the new tablets they are coming out with that have optional attachable keyboards or keyboard docks available. May not need a laptop replacement but the tablets with the option of a keyboard look to be a lot more powerful than the rest

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Are you serious? What isn't. Their new connector is so proprietary they're trying to keep others from using it by controlling the supply of pins for it. They want to be the only source and certify everything that plugs into their devices. Charge with a $2 cable? Forget it, you have to pay $10. Want to connect it to your TV? Oh that'll be $150 for what amounts to not much more than an HDMI cable.

Very true.. If you forget your cable with an iPhone, and ask your co-workers if anyone has one it goes like this..

"No, I have a USB"
    "No, I have a USB"
    "No, I have a USB"
    "Yes, I do.."
    *Great, is it for the iPhone 5?*
    "No, mine is a 4, sorry, different cable"

If you any Android phone, and forget your cable..

"Sure, my USB cable from my Pantech will fit your Droid X just fine!"

:D

Top Bottom