• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You do realize that the covers on the Surface tablets are also keyboards, right?
    Yep, and I think it's a huge plus, but as a touch typist, I'd have to feel it before I could determine its usefulness. Would it work on a lap? Would it work on a desk? I also find myself asking what the point of a tablet is once you attach a keyboard to it. There are plenty of light weight laptops available now with as much battery life as a tablet. Finally, I'm not a fan of carrying multiple devices around so I usually end up with the one that serves the most purposes, my laptop. Note that the above is strictly my experience and thoughts not an attempt to persuade for or against a purchase.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I have a Google/Asus Nexus 7, love it. Bare android, they don't give you all that bloatware. 7" screen though (hence the name)

They make a Nexus 10(guess how big the screen is!) but, supposedly it's not as good.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have just decieded to get one of these......

Amazon.com: blackberry playbook 64 gb

I have/had/have/had a blackberry bold 9310 for work off and on. So then my 3g phone connection will provide me with free cell service (at least I don't have to pay)with the blackberry bridge.

People knock the blackberry stuff but they are solid preformers and at just over 200 should do me fine as a tablet. All andriod software now works on the playbook. It will also do flash.

Basicly i wanted a mp3 player to begin with so for half the price of an IPOD touch 64 I am getting a tablet that is not tied to apple or amazon that still has dual core precessor and goodies plus works as a large screen for the bold phone.

Last edited:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have just decieded to get one of these......

Amazon.com: blackberry playbook 64 gb

I have/had/have/had a blackberry bold 9310 for work off and on. So then my 3g phone connection will provide me with free cell service (at least I don't have to pay)with the blackberry bridge.

People knock the blackberry stuff but they are solid preformers and at just over 200 should do me fine as a tablet. All andriod software now works on the playbook. It will also do flash.

Basicly i wanted a mp3 player to begin with so for half the price of an IPOD touch 64 I am getting a tablet that is not tied to apple or amazon that still has dual core precessor and goodies plus works as a large screen for the bold phone.

Nexus 7 is $199, has expandable memory, and is straight Android without the Blackberry front end over top of it..

Nexus 7 vs. BlackBerry PlayBook (QNX 2.0) | The Verge

williamsjr22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Do yourself a favor and wait for the PRO model. THe RT model will only run software downloaded from the windows store, but the PRO will be a full blown version of windows and all your existing software will work as well.

I will take a serious look at dumping my IPad3 for the Surface PRO.

What he said! The pro will have a better processor and will run the full windows 8 version. More money but should be a superior product

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    While I agree with a lot of what he said, I don't see a lot of value in attempting to point out dropped frames while moving windows around rapidly or seeing how many fish can be drawn on a screen. Seeing how it behaves when browsing facebook would have been a better example of how it will actually be used.

I still say get a convertable ultrabook. More expensive, but you won't be looking to get a new one when the next version is released and will have the ability to run all current and future windows software.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I have the Acer a500. I love it.

With a little practice you can learn to type on a tablet. It won't be as good as a keyboard but it will get the job done.

Whichever you get, get your geek on and root it and install some awesome new ROM's. My tablet is now a year old and it is so well tweaked that it can perform just as well as the newest hardware out there. It's worth learning how to do, in my opinion.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Did anyone mention the Google Nexus 7? (TL:DR)

I got one because:
    1. A smartphone is too small
    2. A 10" tablet won't fit into ANY pocket.
    3. A Google device gets updates first and always - with Samsung et al, you might get an update sometime.
    4. It was only $200!
    5. The display is great and the speed is fast

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Did anyone mention the Google Nexus 7? (TL:DR)

I got one because:
    1. A smartphone is too small
    2. A 10" tablet won't fit into ANY pocket.
    3. A Google device gets updates first and always - with Samsung et al, you might get an update sometime.
    4. It was only $200!
    5. The display is great and the speed is fast

Great specs and price, but watch out for durability on this one...I've read tons of reports of cracked screens on it.

Otherwise, I'm a fan. Especially if you get into the flashing game, the options are limitless for Google devices.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    1/2 the portability..

You must be kidding. Mine is 2 pounds, the battery lasts 12 hours, and it has a 10" screen and is about 3/4" thick.

A tablet offers nothing that my netbook doesn't have, besides a touch screen, which I don't want.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    You must be kidding. Mine is 2 pounds, the battery lasts 12 hours, and it has a 10" screen and is about 3/4" thick.

A tablet offers nothing that my netbook doesn't have, besides a touch screen, which I don't want.

Not kidding, owned both, tablet is still more portable..

Oh, and YOU don't want a touchscreen, however, the OP asked "Which Tablet"... just sayin..

:D

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Great specs and price, but watch out for durability on this one...I've read tons of reports of cracked screens on it.

Otherwise, I'm a fan. Especially if you get into the flashing game, the options are limitless for Google devices.

Really? My seems tough enough. I wouldn't try and sit on it though...

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Not kidding, owned both, tablet is still more portable..

Oh, and YOU don't want a touchscreen, however, the OP asked "Which Tablet"... just sayin..

:D

Nothing wrong with that. I think the 7" tablets are still worth it, IF you don't want a keyboard. They are smaller and slightly more portable than a netbook.

The 10" ones serve no purpose, at least as I see it. I use this netbook every single day, in class and in my office. At home, I use a desktop. It is a REAL computer and it's no larger than a 10" tablet.

There are netbooks with touch screens as well, but they cost a lot more. If I hadn't paid $170 for this computer, I might not think it was that great of a bargain.

Top Bottom