• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    High West's limited fall release: A Midwinter Night's Dram is among the best blended rye whiskies on the market but very difficult to acquire.

High West also make several other rye whiskies and if I can't find a Midwinter then the make another limited rye that it easier to find and modest in price called Yippee Ki-Yay
    Have had the regular High West, and it was OK, have not tried the others you mentioned?

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    So I bought a bottle of WhipperSnapper Oregon Spirit. It was about $28@750ml. Heavy alcohol nose with the first sip being kinda sweet. The backend just tastes kind of young to me. Consumed neat. Poured the wife a drink mixed with cola and she seems to like it.

rkwhyte2

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Add me to the Red Breast list. I've often found it at Vine and Table, in Carmel. I haven't been in a few months now, but they have an extensive selection of quality whiskies.

Found it today at Crown Liqueurs in Carmel. They had 3 types of Red Breast on the shelves. I wanted to try it but for the moment the price stopped me.

rkwhyte2

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Told you it weren't cheap!

Not too bad just more than I was ready to spend at that time. Well that and I know that the wife will want some and she will mix it just she has done with scotch I have brought home. I could feel my ancestors spinning when she did that. :nono:

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    If price isn’t an object, Midleton’s Irish Whiskey is the best I have ever tasted, bar none. I do not like peat so scotch is out for me unless it is Dalwhinnie or Glenkinchie.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm a fan of Old Pulteney 12, a nice briny single malt highland whisky. For more smoky, peaty goodness, my favorites are Ardbeg Ten and Lagavulin 16. For Irish whiskies I like Redbreast 12, and Redbreast 12 Cask Strength. My standard go-to however for a good daily drinking Irish is plain old Jameson.

I never got into rye all that much, or Canadian whiskies in general. But Lot 40 is pretty darn good.

OH.. Michter's American isn't bourbon, and it's outstanding.

rkwhyte2

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Give Yellow Rose Rye a try if you can find it. A very nice rye whiskey coming out of Texas. One of the better rye whiskeys I have tried.

rkwhyte2

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Another good Irish whiskey would be Porter. Fairly easy to find and well worth what they are charging.

Last edited:

CharlieZulu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Fort Worth
    So I'm sure we have all seen the best bourbon for under $50 thread. I have found a good number of great bourbons to try after reading that thread but felt like we need a thread for all of the other whiskeys that aren't bourbon. So to start it off I'm currently drinking a Canadian Club 100% Rye whiskey. It has a very nice spicy mouth with no burn in the belly. I drink it neat and enjoy it. $20@750ml.

Ryes huh? As melensdad mentioned... High West Yipee Ki-Yay. Vermouth & Syrah finished Rye. A little something different then your standard rye. ~$60-70. A fantastic pour. If you want to throw down some extra bling, WhistlePig 10 yr Private Barrel Select. ~$100. For the money, however, I've found it hard to beat Russell's Reserve 6 year rye as an every day go-to. ~$36.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ryes huh? As melensdad mentioned... High West Yipee Ki-Yay. Vermouth & Syrah finished Rye. A little something different then your standard rye. ~$60-70. A fantastic pour. If you want to throw down some extra bling, WhistlePig 10 yr Private Barrel Select. ~$100. For the money, however, I've found it hard to beat Russell's Reserve 6 year rye as an every day go-to. ~$36.

$36 for an everyday rye? Either you pour less, or have more money than I.

CharlieZulu

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Fort Worth
    $36 for an everyday rye? Either you pour less, or have more money than I.

Standard pour... 1.5-2 oz.

Since I predominately drink bourbon... and don't drink every day... allow me to rephrase: For the money, however, I've found it hard to beat Russell's Reserve 6 year rye as a go-to. ~$36. ;)

If I had to choose a rye to drink daily I would more than likely go with WT101 Rye. ~$33/liter

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Not much of a straight whiskey drinker. And I never liked Jack Daniels or anything that had it in it.

But an old fashioned with Gentleman Jack is something I drink way too much of.:yesway:

Top Bottom