• ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Zenmaster, if you don't like the peaty islay taste, don't give up on scotch. Try a nice speyside like Cragganmore. There are several distinct types of scotch, but islay and speyside seem to cover most of us. It's sort of Ford/Chevy.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm a Maker's Mark Ambassador, and at one of their tasting events their master distiller said that in fact that is how most of the bourbon distilleries dispose of their once-used barrels. The bourbon distilleries will only use a charred oak barrel once for aging, and then they sell/give them to the scotch distilleries, who might use them several times. That's why bourbon is always darker than Scotch.

The other reason is that it's the temperature swings in bourbon-producing areas drive the spirits into and out of the wood as the temperature swings (expansion and contraction). In Scotch-producing areas the temperature swings between summer and winter are much more moderate, which leads to less expansion/contraction, and, therefore, less movement of the spirits into and out of the wood.

Which is also why you're WAY more likely to find 7, 10, 12, 15, 20 -year aged Scotch than you are Bourbon and Whiskey produced here in the USA. Domestic spirits just don't need as long in the barrel to achieve required color and taste.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    The other reason is that it's the temperature swings in bourbon-producing areas drive the spirits into and out of the wood as the temperature swings (expansion and contraction)...

Try some Jefferson's Aged at Sea.

They use the motion of the ocean to slosh it around forcing more in-n-out with the wood and touching more surface area of the inside of the barrel. I thought it sounded gimmicky, but it really is better than the stuff they age on dry land.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Im a bourbon drinker who's ready to expand into Scotch/Irish. From all that Ive read Islay is likely where Ill begin.

Recommend anything in particular?

Zenmaster, if you don't like the peaty islay taste, don't give up on scotch. Try a nice speyside like Cragganmore. There are several distinct types of scotch, but islay and speyside seem to cover most of us. It's sort of Ford/Chevy.

For Islay, the two standards by which all others are judged: Laphroig 10 and Lagavulin 16. Both have some unique, subtle and not-so-subtle flavors. If you find the flavors too intense, but you like some aspects of them, then try Bowmore 12 as it is a nice all-around Islay representative that is a bit milder. Honestly, you might want to try Bowmore 12 first and then, if you like it, try the other two.

For a completely different flavor of scotch, try Macallan 12 Sherry Cask. No peat smoke flavor, but very rich.

Some of the other scotch regions make products that are very mildly flavored, sort of like an Irish whiskey but a little different. There is nothing wrong with them, but I tend not to go for those kinds of scotch. Tullamore Dew Irish whiskey serves that purpose for me at a lower price point.

Last edited:

RoGrrr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    BEER. I drink to get filled up.
    And not that LITE, watered down diet beer, either.
    PORTER, with either a splash of VANILLA or a splash of WALNUT.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I do my own version of Old Fashioned. Almost all others are too sweet for me.

Here is my version:

cocktail glass filled with ice.
    two or three dashes Blood Orange Bitters (or other orange bitters)
    Fill with whisky/whiskey/bourbon/rye
    Add one teaspoon Luxardo cherry syrup with one/two cherries.
    Stir. (I will drink with rocks or up depending on how I feel)
    Garnish with expressed Orange peel

Repeat.

I just discovered the old fashioned this week. (been drinking bourbon for years on the rocks) I like it.
    Though you mentioned other syrups, I thought an old fashioned was just whiskey/bourbon, bitters, and water? (and an orange garnish maybe)

I'm really digging Angostura orange bitters.

I bought some Horse Soldier Premium (the cheapest bottle) and was not that impressed. Its good, but not up to the hype Ive heard. I still prefer Knob Creek. But the HS bottle is really cool. I like the concept. (american made 100%, including the bottle and metal label, which is stamped using a mold made from twin towers steel. ) the only other beef I have with Horse Soldier is they have a top shelf limited edition bottle that is just under $600/bottle. (only 1,000 per run (year)) They want to charge me almost $600, but dont waive the $9.95 shipping. Really? I shell out 6 bills for a single bottle of liquor and you cant send it to me for free? Not enough margin to cover the shipping?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I just discovered the old fashioned this week. (been drinking bourbon for years on the rocks) I like it.
    Though you mentioned other syrups, I thought an old fashioned was just whiskey/bourbon, bitters, and water? (and an orange garnish maybe)

I'm really digging Angostura orange bitters.

Ain't an Old Fashioned unless there's a bit of sugar in it. And might as well flavor the syrup, too, while at it.

I've used both a vanilla and a roasted apple syrup in my homemade poor man's Old Fashioned. The roasted apple + a nice vanilla-noted bourbon is fantastic.

Another whiskey cocktail you may like is the mint julep. If you like mint, that is. You can make a "poor man" with just ice cubes if you don't have a way to crush it. Just need a peppermint syrup. (But I've found that a spearmint syrup is OK, too!)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I just discovered the old fashioned this week. (been drinking bourbon for years on the rocks) I like it...

I started to like whiskey after drinking Gentleman Jack and Pepsi. I always hated regular Jack and I hate Coke.

Then I got into the old fashioned. Drank a bunch of those before moving to just bourbon. What can I say, I'm lazy. It's just less work.

Now when I buy a bottle of bourbon/whiskey that I don't particularly enjoy, it gets relegated to being used for old fashioneds. If it's really bad, I'll break out the Pepsi. Or in the case of the crap Conor McGregor has his name on, Sprite is the only thing that makes it drinkable.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I was just gifted a bottle of Makers 46 a month before Christmas.
    It was for a "job well done".

I installed a couple of raised flower beds for a vegetable garden.
    Wasn't hard work, and I was NOT expecteing a bonus like that!

Tasty stuff.

46 is my favorite. Got a bottle of Old Forester last year for Christmas and it’s pretty good as well, but Makers Mark 46 is one that’s always on hand.

jkmonte07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2013
    I always have a bottle of the Woodford in my cabinet. If you get a chance try Booker's. It's pricier but a great one.

MnemonicMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    I always have a bottle of the Woodford in my cabinet.

Same here. The double oaked is even better.

I got a bottle of the Old Forester prohibition style. Was good, but my stomach didn't like the higher proof.

Got a bottle of the local Hotel Tango. Not bad, but not worth the price IMHO.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

utahskies

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    NWI
    How to Make a Sazerac
    Use Sagamore spirit rye. Blended in Baltimore from Indiana rye.

2 1/2 oz. rye whisky*
    1 sugar cube
    2 dashes Peychaud's bitters
    1 dash Angostura bitters
    Absinthe**
    Lemon peel

Directions

In an Old-Fashioned glass, muddle a sugar cube with a few drops of water.
    Add several small ice cubes, then rye whiskey, Peychaud's bitters, and Angostura bitters. Stir well.
    Roll a few drops of absinthe around a second, chilled Old-Fashioned glass until its inside is thoroughly coated. Pour off the excess.
    Strain the contents of the first glass into the second. Garnish with a twist of lemon peel.

Top Bottom