• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I'm looking at getting a 1911 for my new carry gun. I know they are single action. That makes me a little nervous carrying with the hammer back. But I feel safer with one in the chamber. So do some people just ride the hammer forward then pull it back when the time comes? Also what kind of holster should I get. Also what's the middle size called? Also I don't want this to turn into a gun bashing thread. Last time I asked about which gun to carry and I got told to " leave the nickel plated pimp bunnies and unicorns at home and buy a glock". I have already carried a Glock I wanna try something new. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I carry one, round in the chamber, hammer back, safety clicked on.

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you drop the hammer on a live round in a 1911. NEVER ride the hammer down with your thumb, sooner or later your thumb will slip and you will fire a round.

The 'middle size' gun is called a Commander size.

For IWB, I strongly recommend the CrossBreed Super Tuck.

For OWB, I have several. A simple Don Hume "JIT" is my most used holster for OWB. I do NOT like paddle holsters for daily carry. They are fine for range use, but I don't think they carry well, I've got 3 or 4 of them, rarely do I use them for daily carry and always do I regret it by the end of the day.

Last edited:

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    the mid size is a 4" and it is called a commander , the 5" is a government model.
    There is no need to ride the hammer forward , the gun was designed to be carried "cocked and locked" and is perfectly safe to do so.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    All I have to say is " forget about that single action sissy pistol and get yourself a KAHR":D

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Don't carry it often but if/when I do: chambered, hammer back, safety on.

opplanet-bianchi-19-thumbsnap-plain-tan-right-hand-17630.png

Holster is similar to this. Thumb break strap is a requirement IMO.

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Thanks guys I guess I will have to trust the safeties. But I guess that's why tere is two of them. It will be around mid october when I get one so it should be pretty chilly outside. Do they carry well in shoulder holsters for an all day carry?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Thumb break strap is a requirement IMO.
    Just curious, but why?

Do you have a thumb break for retention of the gun when you open carry?

Thanks guys I guess I will have to trust the safeties. But I guess that's why tere is two of them. It will be around mid october when I get one so it should be pretty chilly outside. Do they carry well in shoulder holsters for an all day carry?
    There are actually 3 safeties on a modern 1911 because there is a firing pin safety in the slide in addition to the thumb safety and the grip safety.

I don't know anyone who thinks a shoulder holster is either particularly safe or very comfortable.

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Out of curiosity why wouldnt a shoulder holster be safe if it has a retention strap to keep it from falling off. I can kinda see why it wouldn't be comfortable to wear all day.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Just curious, but why?

Do you have a thumb break for retention of the gun when you open carry?

Just personal preference more than anything really. But all things mechanical can fail and I'm slightly OCD about things. I don't need to add worrying about whether or not the hammer is going to stay back and/or the safety isn't going to be disengaged to the list of things I chew on. :D So I guess the "requirement" is really just a personal one for my own sanity.

If someone's comfort level allows them to carry it without the strap, I don't have a problem with it. I don't understand the choice given the pros outweigh the cons in most comparisons, but I don't lose sleep over it or run home to hubby and declare, "OMG, you'll never guess how some lunatic was carrying his 1911 today."

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Galco SOB holster for OWB, Summer Special for IWB. Yeah, yeah, I know what they say about the SOB, but if I fall sideways, I'll crack my hip if I fall on the gun, so it comes to the same. Leather holsters; cocked, locked, and ready to rock.

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    i carry my 1911 daily, I use an uncle mikes close body holster, very comfortable, i hardly notice its there. One downside is you have to have a separate mag pouch for extra mags. ive carried mine both ways cocked and locked with hammer down and hammer back. to me its safer to carry with it back most of the time, id say 98% of the time, however the only time ill ride the hammer forward is if im hiking and thats mainly because im worried it may get bumped if i slip or something and fire one off even though its very unlikely, just my personal preference. if you ride it forward, be very very careful how you do it so you dont fire off a round by mistake and injury or kill someone

gunman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Jasper Co.
    i carry a full size springfield with one in the tube, hammer back & safety on. holster is tagua, cheap but comfortable(belt permitting). Serpa's are excellent holsters, i love the retention system. if you end up getting a commander i've got a serpa for it that i'm looking to get rid of

MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    i carry a full size springfield with one in the tube, hammer back & safety on. holster is tagua, cheap but comfortable(belt permitting). Serpa's are excellent holsters, i love the retention system. if you end up getting a commander i've got a serpa for it that i'm looking to get rid of

Well if you still have it mid october ill be in the market for a holster for a 1911. But I'd rather have leather. For some reason when I think 1911 I think leather holster. They seem like classier guns. So I'd like a classy look with it. That's just me though.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I carry one and its carried "cocked and locked". A 1911 is extremly safe to be carried this way.

As far as holsters go there are a ton of good holster out there to chose from. I mostly carry mine in a leather lined kydex holster that I got from
    Tucker Gunleather. Here is a review I posted on it awhile back,

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...tucker_gunleather_silent_thunder_stx_owb.html

I also carry sometimes will carry in a Tucker Gun leather HF1 holster when I want to go "fancy" :D

RobarKimber004.jpg

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    primarily use one of two holsters for OWB carry...

this one from Kirkpatrick Leather
    Kirkpatrick Concealment Leather Holsters - The Under Cover

or this one also from Kirkpatrick
    Kirkpatrick Leather Concealment Holsters - The Texas Strong Side

Retention was mentioned in an earlier post.... a couple of years ago, I was carrying my 1911 in the TSS holster, and visiting a friend with my grandson along. My grandson and I were horsing around in the front yard.... downhill.... I tripped and rolled several times, about 20 feet, and skidded to a stop. The gun didn't even move...... took me a few seconds to take inventory before I moved........

Top Bottom