Who Cleans Their Magazines When They Clean Their Firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I usually clean the inside of the tops of my magazines, but I have never fully disassembled a magazine. I normally lightly lubricate them when finished cleaning them.

bcsd372

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Columbus
    My magazines that just go to the range and back stay pretty clean unless dropped in the dirt. Carry mags and spares that have been in the glove box or console seem to get a little funky over time. I always clean any mags that are bought "used" too. Most LEO's I know carry their spares in all sorts of weather and take them out of the pouches only when they qualify. Then they get loaded up and stuffed back in the pouches again.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    You can easily clean a mag by wiping the top inside of it out with a rag then spray a bit of oil into the count holes.

Oil in the mags will only trap dirt and other debris. Dry lube is best, but mags will function just fine without any lube at all and I've see it recommended that way more than not.

The spring will wear out from compression/decompression long before they will wear out from physical contact between itself and the mag body. :twocents:

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    I use a lube that sprays wet but dries. I feel that cleaning the mags every time the firearm is cleaned is redundant. I believe in inspection and maintenance to ensure operation such as swabbing the barrel, lubrication and checking for spring tension. I suggest that the firearm and mags be disassembled and inspected when bought used or when exposed to dirt etc.

If the mags and firearm cycle fine and puts bullets on target, it is good to go! Just remember that preventative maintenance is important; incidentally, the magazine spring, follower, floor plate and case should be inspected every so often to ensure that no gunk has built up inside or indications of spring damage.

Last edited:

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    Not every time. I did shoot some questionable reloads through a 380 one time that had unburnt power in the mag when I cleaned them after that session.

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    Just refer to your owners manual for inspection and cleaning of the magazines. P.36 of the Glock service manual for the Glock model 20 states that magazines do not need to be cleaned every time you clean your firearm. They do however, suggest inspection/cleaning every 3-4 months on a duty firearm unless exposed to excess dirt etc.

So the answer is no. You do not need to clean your mags every time you clean your firearm (P.36 Glock owners manual).
    Well there ya have it :ingo:

Last edited:

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Got back in from a USPSA shoot today and ran a brush and cloth through each of the five mags I used. One of them had a small rock drop out on the table - undoubtedly from a reload somewhere along the way. I was happy to have cleaned them today...which is why they ALWAYS get cleaned if I am shooting in a way that involves dropping them on the ground multiple times.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I've shot almost 1K rounds through my Baby Eagle and I've only cleaned one of my five mags once. Never had a feed issue due to a dirty mag. The only feed issues I've EVER had was with 124gr 9mm fmj and hp. :dunno:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I usually wipe down the outside of the mags and then brush off the follower if it needs it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    No, not every time but I will about 1 a yr. depending.

They get pretty dirty from powder residue blowing back and ammo
    is kind of dirty. Clean and light oil.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Carefull! Watch out for flying springs......:draw:

Do you think storring ammo in the mag at all times can effect the long term function of the mag?

Does anyone remember the thread where we discussed this very issue at length. Again, today, my search-fu is weak.

Top Bottom