Who Cleans Their Magazines When They Clean Their Firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I've got a pile of Wilson 47D's for a 1911 with somewhere between 50,000 and 60,000 rounds through them. I've never cleaned them other than wiping off the outside.

But I only clean the gun about every 3k when it's time to change out the recoil spring.

I've got a girlfriend for when I get bored enough to clean a clean gun or disassemble 25 mags.

Then there is always booze. I'll find something to do.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    wipe off the outside and go about my merry day.i might think about it if it starts to malfunction but not till then.guns i sell on here are clean and wiped down.have had no -1s so i guess im doing something right

dmpxd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    I have approx. 14 hand guns, and clean them after each 500 round lot, and clean the weapons within 12 hours of firing. No, matter how many rounds went down the pipe. I look at it this way why not take the extra 10min. and clean everything right. ONE misfeed is all it takes, I don't think my families life is worth saving 10 mins. also if you don't have time to clean properly you don't have time to shoot. That is just my 0.02cents.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    I find that as a general rule, folks that are anal about cleaning don't shoot that much.

I would say that extra 200 rounds at the range will be more important to your being able to stop a threat to your family than if your equipment is spotless or not.

dmpxd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    It is definately interesting the point of views some people have based on assumptions that they make. I guess that is the internets for ya.

BTW no, one said spotless. A quick blast with solvent, a firm wipe down, and lube does not constitute spotless in my book. Oops sorry forgot that was... a general assumption.

Last edited:

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    Carefull! Watch out for flying springs......:draw:

Do you think storring ammo in the mag at all times can effect the long term function of the mag?

Yes and no, depending on what part of the magazine assembly failes to function.

Storing mags loaded too long may force the feed lips outward and cause failure to feed issues while springs benefit from being loaded all the time rather than being loaded then unloaded, then loaded then unloaded. It's the repeated compressing/decompressing of the springs that wear them out.

So if someone were really anal about it, they could have multiple magazines they rotate between every so often instead of having 1 or 2 mags fully loaded at all times. The feed lips would benefit as would the springs. Instead of being loaded then unloaded daily, they would be once a week/2 weeks/month/whathaveyou.

Just the way I see it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom