• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    This may or may not be a :tinfoil: thread. With the recent rash of home invasions I am wondering if people have taken to stashing guns around the house. It seems that at least some of these assaults happen in the morning when many people are preparing for work. I have recently considered how I would feel facing an intruder when I was completely unprepared and not really in a situation to respond as I would like to. How would you feel if you were faced with said bad guy when all you have to defend yourself is maybe a roll of tp or a can of shaving cream. Knowing that you have considerable firepower in other parts of the house would be little consolation. I don't usually carry a gun around with me all the time when I am at home. There are other times when I would not have one readily available. Such as showering, doing the dishes, etc. I have recently been thinking of getting a couple of lower cost handguns to stash in appropriate places around the house. I know you can pick up CZ 83 .380s for under $200. They may not be beauty queens but they are reliable. It would be truly ironic to invest as much as I have in customized guns and end up defending my life with a milsurp .380 but, hey, better than the toilet paper.
    So is this paranoia or being prudent?

To paraphrase our friend Kirk; It's not the likelihood, it's the potential price you would have to pay.

What say you :ingo:?
    Well, I didn't read all the other posts but hi points are cheap and super reliable. My hi point 9m has never jammed but my P95 Ruger? Well that's a different story.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    A couple of years ago, here in town, a young guy kicked in the door of an elderly woman and beat her to death. He wanted money to buy meth. She didn't have any. So he killed her. At least that's the story I heard. It happened around 6am. It gave me a lot to think about. I am no longer a young man and would probably be hard pressed to win, hand to hand, against a 20 something intent on getting what he needs.

Okay, first things first: HOLY CRAP BEWARE THE ZOMBIE THREADS!!

Phew, now that that's out of the way I might as well join in on the conversation. The scenario you described above is exactly why I carry at home. I don't have enough SD guns to even think about "stashes" not that I would want to be thinking about where my stash gun is in the critical beginning seconds of a break-in.

My "stash" gun is on my hip, right where it belongs.

PMPORTER

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Keep a Bersa in the kitchen drawer for my Girlfriend and kids. They all have all been raised with fire arms and they are good to stop a threat if need be. 357 next to the bed along with a flashlight and cell phone.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Handguns are just what one carries to get to their primary arm.

Have two 12 gauges one north and one south in the house.

I do not rely on sideArms if a better choice is available. If there were a major disturbance "in the force" the Ak with 75 round drum would go on the kitchen table.

Handguns are for carry. Long arms are for home land or castle protection.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Handguns are just what one carries to get to their primary arm.

Have two 12 gauges one north and one south in the house.

I do not rely on sideArms if a better choice is available. If there were a major disturbance "in the force" the Ak with 75 round drum would go on the kitchen table.

Handguns are for carry. Long arms are for home land or castle protection.

We are very proficient with our sidearms. I can not envision any threat we will face that can not be dealt with using them. If threats escalate we have access to more "BOOM" But in the reality of currant situations we are fairly confident in our side arms.

I agree with your statement we just feel over penetration would be a serious issue.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Country living so other houses would be out of range from over penetration. Brick walls outside so nothing shotgun wise should get out the walls. I am not saying there are no side arms available but for home defense the long arm is my choice. Inside the house the family retreats to one specific location only. It could happen I guess but we are careful with the plans and actions.

I might have over stated the case here but 7 pages and all handgun related for the most part. The Ak would be in the center of the house and only when "a major disturbance in the force" was detected.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Yes. My EDC, which I either carry at home or keep nearby, plus my wife's piece is accessible. In my vehicle I use an under the steering wheel holster. That piece comes inside with me when I come home.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Country living so other houses would be out of range from over penetration. Brick walls outside so nothing shotgun wise should get out the walls. I am not saying there are no side arms available but for home defense the long arm is my choice. Inside the house the family retreats to one specific location only. It could happen I guess but we are careful with the plans and actions.

I might have over stated the case here but 7 pages and all handgun related for the most part. The Ak would be in the center of the house and only when "a major disturbance in the force" was detected.

In your situation I can see having heavier fire power at the ready. We have all of that as well just not a 1st response for us. Living in the city I fear to much damage beyond our property.

FreeFAL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    My uncle prides himself on "never being more than 3 steps" away from a loaded gun anywhere in his home. Freakin' guns everywhere. That would confuse me to no end. He has no children. For the rest of us, I think it's reasonable to keep a handgun safe in the bedroom, and a handgun in the car, and everything else in a safe except maybe a shotgun for HD if you don't have kids.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Add me to the list of those that carry at home. At times, I'll switch out a larger carry gun for a smaller one when I get home if I've been carrying a full size 1911 all day, but I also switch the smaller gun for a larger one if it has been a pocket carry day. Either way, I tend to carry a mid-size gun with me at almost all times when at home. One area I need to improve on is when I'm in the shower, I often leave the carry gun on the nightstand instead of bringing it into the bathroom with me. I need to get better about that.

The only time I'll take it out of the holster when at home for any length of time is when watching a movie. I've sometimes put the gun on the coffee table to protect the couch from scratches.

Having said that, I do still have a couple stashed in places that would be easy to access if I were to come home unarmed and find someone in the house.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Add me to the list of those that carry at home. At times, I'll switch out a larger carry gun for a smaller one when I get home if I've been carrying a full size 1911 all day, but I also switch the smaller gun for a larger one if it has been a pocket carry day. Either way, I tend to carry a mid-size gun with me at almost all times when at home. One area I need to improve on is when I'm in the shower, I often leave the carry gun on the nightstand instead of bringing it into the bathroom with me. I need to get better about that.

The only time I'll take it out of the holster when at home for any length of time is when watching a movie. I've sometimes put the gun on the coffee table to protect the couch from scratches.

Having said that, I do still have a couple stashed in places that would be easy to access if I were to come home unarmed and find someone in the house.

I, my son and SIL all live on the compound. We all carry or are close to "Something" at all times.
    Compound is not Ruby Ridge just 2 adjoining property's that we are trying to expand to 3.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    My gun of choice is always within reach no matter where I'm at in the house. Now that the kids live in Noblesville it is a lot easier to have a gun laying nearby at all times.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    We USED to have stash guns stored on a boat. Unfortunately during a storm the boat came untied, drifted out to the deepest part of the lake and sank. It was epic.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I, my son and SIL all live on the compound. We all carry or are close to "Something" at all times.
    Compound is not Ruby Ridge just 2 adjoining property's that we are trying to expand to 3.

I wish I could get others in my house into the fold. Even with all that's going on now days, there is still an unhealthy level of denial floating around my family. My brother rarely carries at all and both he and my sister still insist on carrying on an empty chamber because a loaded chamber makes them uncomfortable.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Be prepared. Think about the layout of your home (house, apartment, whatever), and prepare so you can fight from any room in it.

One of my favorite questions posed to students / trainees is: "BAM! Bad guy just came through the door. You are in the shower. Now what?" :dunno:

Contrary to 'popular opinion', not ALL BG's are stupid.

Top Bottom