• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    At first I didn't like ARs mainly because it seemed like everyone had one. Then I shot one and didn't like the stock , or the feel of the gun itself. At this time I didn't know there was literally a plethora of accessories to fix the issue. It wasn't really so much the plastic, but just the way the one I shot was set up that didn't feel right, and I thought there would be no reason for me to buy one. About a year ago though, I started looking at them, and held some that felt great in the hands and thought someday I will buy one, when money and need allows.

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Never had one, probably never will either. I'm just not a fan of the "me too" purchasing habit. This extends to all aspects of life, not just firearms. I don't own any Chevy 350's (or a Dodge Ram for those living in/around Kokomo), as I like to be a little different. I don't carry a Glock, I don't have credit cards, and I don't even pay for television!

I'm old school, as I prefer outdoor football stadiums, classic ballparks like Fenway & Wrigley, and ketchup only belongs on potatoes!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    You can show me all the ballistics you want, but I still don't like the idea of a rifle in 223 for defense. 300 blackout is an awesome alternative, and I will most likely go with this, but up til the point when I learned about 300 blackout (pretty recently) I just didn't feel like there were any great caliber options.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    this is a silly post that appears to be based in myth and lore and not fact
    Ohh boy. Do you really want the answer? I am an M14/M1 Carbine owner. So I could aford 3 or 4 M16/AR types (will just call it the M16 from here on out)

Because the M16 is a freaking Mattel toy!!!!!!!!!

Direct Impingement. Don't get me started on this. On every shot the rifle is barfing all over it's insides. Who wants this? On the M14 all the dirty stuff is kept in a easily cleanable stainless steel cylinder up front. Not in the internals of your rifle! The M1 Carbine is even better about this with it's short stroke system.

The original caliber 5.56x45 is a damn varmint round. I won't get the caliber argument going again, but I have little faith in this round. I like 30 carbine better then I do like 5.56. Yes I know there are 300s and 6.5/6.8s that fit the AR15 platform, but by the time you pay for them, you might as well moved up to 7.62x51

The M4 has another issue, the barrel is too damn short, even in civilian length at 16 or in mill form at 14.5. You loose too much. CQB, clearing buildings you say? RoE bull honk. Want to know how WWII guys cleared a building? They fired 30 cal THRU the building to "clear it".

After having the M14 and the M1 carbine, I just can't warm up to the M16.

Call me an old school crusty curmudgeon and your right. But I will stay with 30 cal wood and steel rifles. Large bore rifles are what made this country what it is today.
    I own rifles that were made to KILL communist heathens. Not wound them.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    You can show me all the ballistics you want, but I still don't like the idea of a rifle in 223 for defense. 300 blackout is an awesome alternative, and I will most likely go with this, but up til the point when I learned about 300 blackout (pretty recently) I just didn't feel like there were any great caliber options.

300 blackout is becoming popular because of suppressors. Truthfully the 5.56 shoots flatter and is faster.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

300 blk is the new 6.8 for now, it'll die out soon enough. Not sure why anyone would chamber their rifle for a round that a) can't find it, if you do then you'll pay at least $1/rd, b) it's not as easy of a round to reload for and c) 300 blk does absolutely nothing that 7.62X39 already does

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    300 blk is the new 6.8 for now, it'll die out soon enough. Not sure why anyone would chamber their rifle for a round that a) can't find it, if you do then you'll pay at least $1/rd, b) it's not as easy of a round to reload for and c) 300 blk does absolutely nothing that 7.62X39 already does

I have been considering 7.62x 39 as well...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    Never had one, probably never will either. I'm just not a fan of the "me too" purchasing habit. This extends to all aspects of life, not just firearms. I don't own any Chevy 350's (or a Dodge Ram for those living in/around Kokomo), as I like to be a little different. I don't carry a Glock, I don't have credit cards, and I don't even pay for television!

I'm old school, as I prefer outdoor football stadiums, classic ballparks like Fenway & Wrigley, and ketchup only belongs on potatoes!

haha, I can respect and relate to this!

jamesb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 5, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I currently do not have one. I did have a RRNM2 when I shot high power but I liked my M1A better so I went back to shooting that and sold the AR. Still have the mags and half a case of ammo. I was planning on getting one last year for 3gun but I made the choice to move to IN mid year so that put my shooting season on hold. If I am able to get into 3gun this year in IN I want to get one but until then I will just shoot the M1A in the heavy metal class. I guess it is more of an I do not need one as opposed to a disdain for the platform. I like the fact that is is cheaper to reload and has less recoil that the 30 calibers (M1A and M1).

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Not trying to stir an argument, but I don't understand why folks call the AR a plastic toy or a Mattel gun. The only parts on the gun that aren't metal are the stock and grip. I don't count the handguard cause hardly anyone keeps the factory one.

One may also print the lower receiver if one has the appropriate file and a 3D printer.

So stock, grip, and lower.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Yea, but people have been calling the AR platform a plastic rifle, since WAY before a 3d printer was a twinkle in nerds eye.

The simple fact is, some people are just old school, and that fine. The problem is, they think everyone around them should be as well, thus vocalize their disgust, in an attempt to brag about their old school-ness.

Live and let live, I say. I love the M1 Garand, the M14, the AK, and the AR platform.

Why cant we be friends? lol

Last edited:

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    I dont, for one, Im a broke college student and got my ak in high school, and the price of the gun and ammuntion is just too much for me(to get quality ammo at least)

2. The more affordable ARs have plastic lowers and uppers and dont feel very sturdy, and they either lack iron sights and on my budget are pretty much consigned to **** optics, or have plastic irons

3. When I was buying my semi auto rifle right after I graduated high school, I wanted this to be my primary HD gun, and the 5.56 round in a 16 inch barrel in a semi doesnt inspire confidence. (now if I had full auto or burst mode and a 20 inch barrel like the Marines use, thats another story, and .300 BLK is just to expensive or time consuming to reload). And also, unless you have military spec 5.56 ammo, essentially you have a scary looking varmit gun. While to me, 7.62x39 with 8m3 bullets is just a vastly superior round for "social work" and given the fact that Im a big guy(ex heavyweight wrestler, offensive linemen, and judo), recoil is not much of an issue so I can sling probably a good 4-5 .30 8m3 slugs into center of mass at HD range

4. For me, as a collector, and military and russian history buff, the AK just has a massive second kind of cool for me. I have a Polish AKMS(the folding stock variant) and to me, it is a physical manifestation of a massive advance in firearms and military technology, and post WW2 doctrine of massed Mechanized infantry, tanks, and artillery. And it just looks menacing and frickin cool to me. Also, I like the genius of the simplicity of the operating system and the fact that it will just ****ing work. I can load it up with the dirtiest cheapest steel cased surplus ammo and I pull the trigger, and it just goes bang. And finally, it is just reassuring to hold steel and wood in my hand over plastic and aluminum of an AR.

Another thing I forgot about my ak, Im polish myself and most of the parts where made in poland at the radom arsenal(which even if I wasnt polish has been pretty much the top non western firearms manufacture in the world, even during Russian Occupation)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    300 blackout is becoming popular because of suppressors. Truthfully the 5.56 shoots flatter and is faster.

Sure does. We have used this round on engine blocks in the family farm scrap heap. It could disable a vehicle easily enough. It will punch through a side or front glass.
    If you run green tip steel core it will kill about anything.
    .223 crap rounds not so much.

Top Bottom