• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Higginbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2014
    Columbus
    I enjoy shooting handguns and shotguns more than rifles, so I concentrate the limited amount of cash I have towards those. If I do get into rifle shooting more, I think I'd rather have a more traditional rifle anyway. Just personal preference.

mwingeier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I don't own an AR because I just don't like long guns, they aren't comfortable to me. However, as I will be getting my son a lever action rifle soon, maybe he can help me out in that department.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    the reason I don't own an AR is because of the price of ammo and the gun itself

I said that too.

I don't own one, but I want one. Don't have the funds at the moment to buy/build one...and if I did, I don't have the funds to feed it as often at I'd want to if I had one.

Now I have one...sold one toy to fund others. Circle of life kind of thing.

10621437_10100791475728414_1142642041_o.jpg

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I paid more for my glock on sale than I did for the basic AR I built for my dad. As far as guns go, AR's really aren't expensive. Of course, like all guns, AR's can be very expensive if your looking for one.

TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    If your an american rifleman I do not see a reason no to own one or multiple:ar15:I can build an ar cheaper than an ak. But if SHTF my wife has the ar and I will have the akm47

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I just bought another for a gift.
    PSA complete upper deal - $360
    PSA Blem Lower - $45
    PSA Rear sight - $35
    With another 20 in shipping & 20 in FFL transfer, thats $480 for en entry mid length ar. not too shabby.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Never have owned one, probably never will.
    No, I'm definitely not in the camp of the hoplophobes who want to ban guns that look scary.
    I just don't really cop to what I consider a bit of a fad with this particular longarm.
    About the only two scenarios I can foresee that the AR would provide an advantage for would be:
    1) hunting coyotes or other varmints in situations when multiple dogs or varmints make an appearance, making a low recoil semi-auto useful to pick off the second and third animals
    2) for certain home defense situations

Other than that, I'll almost certainly irritate lots of AR fans by saying I don't see what an AR can accomplish from a ballistics performance and raw accuracy standpoint that a high quality bolt action or single shot couldn't beat decisively.
    Generally speaking, a low end AR will cost nearly twice as much as a high quality turnbolt.
    And, to really make the AR aficianados mad (sorry, but I'm expressing my opinion here), I like my guns to have a certain esthetic appeal to go with their performance, and no AR can match the visual appeal of the likes of a Remington 700 BDL or 700 Classic, or (my own) Ruger M77 with a nice walnut stock.
    Regarding reloading, I'm unsure if the AR has similar limitations as the M1 Garand has, but I suspect that the manuals recommend against using certain slow burn rate powders that could damage the operating system due to sustained high pressures, as the Garand is.
    The bolt action or single shot has no such issues, as long as the powder is in the manual for a given caliber.
    The AR is also far more complicated, has a gas system to clean, and (in its most common form, although I've seen flat top variations) has a high sight plane that makes sighting in a bit more complex and troublesome.
    Regarding home defense, I'll stick to my third generation S&W auto pistol or Remington 870, although an AR with varmint bullets would certainly be formidable for that purpose, too, but I just can't see getting a gun that I would use for one purpose only when I can and often do carry my S&W and hunt with my 870.
    Okay, let the spitballs fly.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I just bought another for a gift.
    PSA complete upper deal - $360
    PSA Blem Lower - $45
    PSA Rear sight - $35
    With another 20 in shipping & 20 in FFL transfer, thats $480 for en entry mid length ar. not too shabby.

You're missing the LPK and stock, buffer assembly. Probably another $100

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    You dont always spend your money on a practical item. Sometimes you buy something just because you like it.

You can buy a much more practical gun for $450, but the AR is an American Icon, and that alone is reason enough for us all to own one. Just like an AK is an Icon, and a 1911 is an icon. They are not always the most practical choice, but if you truly love guns, your gonna want them...

Never have owned one, probably never will.
    No, I'm definitely not in the camp of the hoplophobes who want to ban guns that look scary.
    I just don't really cop to what I consider a bit of a fad with this particular longarm.
    About the only two scenarios I can foresee that the AR would provide an advantage for would be:
    1) hunting coyotes or other varmints in situations when multiple dogs or varmints make an appearance, making a low recoil semi-auto useful to pick off the second and third animals
    2) for certain home defense situations

Other than that, I'll almost certainly irritate lots of AR fans by saying I don't see what an AR can accomplish from a ballistics performance and raw accuracy standpoint that a high quality bolt action or single shot couldn't beat decisively.
    Generally speaking, a low end AR will cost nearly twice as much as a high quality turnbolt.
    And, to really make the AR aficianados mad (sorry, but I'm expressing my opinion here), I like my guns to have a certain esthetic appeal to go with their performance, and no AR can match the visual appeal of the likes of a Remington 700 BDL or 700 Classic, or (my own) Ruger M77 with a nice walnut stock.
    Regarding reloading, I'm unsure if the AR has similar limitations as the M1 Garand has, but I suspect that the manuals recommend against using certain slow burn rate powders that could damage the operating system due to sustained high pressures, as the Garand is.
    The bolt action or single shot has no such issues, as long as the powder is in the manual for a given caliber.
    The AR is also far more complicated, has a gas system to clean, and (in its most common form, although I've seen flat top variations) has a high sight plane that makes sighting in a bit more complex and troublesome.
    Regarding home defense, I'll stick to my third generation S&W auto pistol or Remington 870, although an AR with varmint bullets would certainly be formidable for that purpose, too, but I just can't see getting a gun that I would use for one purpose only when I can and often do carry my S&W and hunt with my 870.
    Okay, let the spitballs fly.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    You're missing the LPK and stock, buffer assembly. Probably another $100

I built 3 AR's from PSA. The cheapest one I built with a carry handle rear sight cost right at 460 total, including the PMAG.

It is totally possible to build an AR for under 500 bucks these days.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Top Bottom