• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I thought I remember them saying they could bring a gun, but it counted as one item along with each bullet as another. Also, I thought somebody had a bow.

They did show someone with a bow, but it was to tease ahead to future episodes. I'm not sure if he made it. I don't think anyone brought one in.

If you look at the bios on the History Channel website you can see everyone's 10 items. I looked at them all and don't recall a bow on anyone's list.

A lot of people chose the same items. That makes me think the producers gave them a list of 15-20 items and they had to pick 10 from that list.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    A lot of people chose the same items. That makes me think the producers gave them a list of 15-20 items and they had to pick 10 from that list.
    It certainly appears that way...

Chris went home didn't he?
    Mitch Mitchell (curly red pony-tail guy) & Brant McGee also brought a bow & 6 arrows on their list and the stature of the guy shown shooting the bow matches theirs much closer than it matched Chris...

I'm also confused why bullets in a gun would count as an item but arrows for the bow wouldn't.

The only thing I can piece together from "circumstantial evidence" is that they were permitted to take X number of things from home in addition to 10 things off the producer's gear list. Mitch doesn't have any tarps, packs, etc on his list yet I've seen him using 2 tarp-like objects and I believe just about all of them have some sort of a pack.

Going with that thought, the bow & 6 arrows on the producer's gear list would be a single line-item to be chosen, but if you were to go off list and bring a gun, then each individual bullet would be an item. Interesting way to look at it and confusing from the outside looking in, but I'm sure it all made sense in the producer's mind...

Last edited:

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Just watch the 3rd one. It's getting kind of lame. Non-stop, I miss my family, blah, blah. It's less than a week into it. Newsflash, your wife and kids can sure use a half-million dollars!

I'm gonna watch youtube videos of someone building a shelter.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Just watch the 3rd one. It's getting kind of lame. Non-stop, I miss my family, blah, blah. It's less than a week into it. Newsflash, your wife and kids can sure use a half-million dollars!

To be fair though, this isn't scripted, they can film whatever they way and they are in that phase shortly after they're separated but it's still near enough that they miss the comforts of home and their families. Give it some time and they will come around and stop whining about it... After a couple deployments myself I know what it's like. The first couple weeks and the last couple weeks apart are always the hardest.

Regarding the whining, they aren't all whining, some of them are pretty focused on surviving and sticking it out for the long-haul. I suspect that in very short order we will see the whiners give-in and go home or they will get over it and tough it out... After watching the 3rd episode I'm really starting to like Mitch Mitchell, he seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders. He can improvise, he can make something from nothing, he creates goals and focuses on them until completion. Mitch knows what HAS to be done and what can wait to be done; he doesn't seem to be terrified of the wild-life and he knows how to utilize the resources around him effectively and efficiently.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yeah, I was not being fair. I don't have those skills, but I would have made it that far out of shear stubbornness. I think the anger in my rant is directed more towards the editing and the producers.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    To be fair though, this isn't scripted, they can film whatever they way and they are in that phase shortly after they're separated but it's still near enough that they miss the comforts of home and their families. Give it some time and they will come around and stop whining about it... After a couple deployments myself I know what it's like. The first couple weeks and the last couple weeks apart are always the hardest.

Regarding the whining, they aren't all whining, some of them are pretty focused on surviving and sticking it out for the long-haul. I suspect that in very short order we will see the whiners give-in and go home or they will get over it and tough it out... After watching the 3rd episode I'm really starting to like Mitch Mitchell, he seems to have a pretty good head on his shoulders. He can improvise, he can make something from nothing, he creates goals and focuses on them until completion. Mitch knows what HAS to be done and what can wait to be done; he doesn't seem to be terrified of the wild-life and he knows how to utilize the resources around him effectively and efficiently.

I watch Mitch on YouTube all the time and he really knows what he's doing. He always thinks and plans, i m glad to hear he's doing well on the show so far.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I haven't seen this one yet. I have to decide if I will be staying up tonight to watch it, or watching it on the internet at a later date.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Nice to see some guys finally getting to work and trying to get some systems going.

But... now Mitch is literally :crying:

That didn't take long, kinda sucks to hear but at least the other guys are starting to pick it up. So far it doesn't sound any different than other survival shows in the mix of skills and the cast talking about how bad it sucks.

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    I looked at all the packing lists and noticed several guys had a bow and arrows. I'm curious why we haven't seen an attempt at bow fishing or hunting.

Also, Lucas is crazy for wanting to build a cabin, but other than that he seems to know what he's doing

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side

If I washed out that soon with a half a mil at stake I would end up missing my wife and kids for the rest of my life. I probably wouldn't be allowed to come home unless I won.

dibdee83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    indiana
    I watched the first episode it didn't seem to be much different than other survival type shows. Ill watch again if I have nothing else to do and its on.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Brant figured out why you are not supposed to drink un-treated water. Kinda surprised he couldn't get a fire going.
    Mitch may be crying but he is the only one that's actually doing intelligent stuff to better his situation. He made some char outta cedar bark and an altoids tin. Pretty good idea.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I'm warming up to the show, I think it'll get more interesting as more tap out. And I don't think Mitch was crying because of simply being there, but being there and missing his kids birthday. I'll give him a pass on that one, been there, done that, and it made me wanna cry. And yes, the char in the altoids can was pretty cool!

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Okay, I just watched it. My next pick to go is Dustin. This show seemed like Mitchapalooza, which makes me think he will be going home sooner than later. But it could be that he was the only one to do anything interesting on camera. They didn't show much of the other contestants, I like them all, though Dustin was a bit whiny for me. Was Lucas the other guy? He's my dark horse, I hope he doesn't do anything stupid.

Top Bottom