• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Okay, I just watched it. My next pick to go is Dustin. This show seemed like Mitchapalooza, which makes me think he will be going home sooner than later. But it could be that he was the only one to do anything interesting on camera. They didn't show much of the other contestants, I like them all, though Dustin was a bit whiny for me. Was Lucas the other guy? He's my dark horse, I hope he doesn't do anything stupid.
    If it's true that it's completely up to these guys what they do/don't film then there may be a logically explanation to why Mitch has a lot of footage. He has a youtube channel where he is accustomed to filming things, this is just another day for him in that regard.... just a thought, but there may be some truth to it.

I haven't watch the latest episode, I'll have to do that when I get a chance.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks to MCGrease08 now I have another show to watch... :rolleyes: ;)

I always appreciate watching the people who know more than me and I can learn a little bit from them, like trickle down economics.

I am currently rooting for Sam. He is young but always seems to be optimistic and of good cheer. He has skills and energy.

I don't get why the guy who took down some good sized trees stopped building? It may not have been the best without good clay, but it sure as hell would have kept him reasonably dry with a safe base of operations that the large predators couldn't get into. I would think that would really, really help with a good nights sleep. It would also give a strong sense of "home" that would help with the mental fatigue.

It is amazing how the largest enemy is our own mind. Fear of the animals, missing home, all add up to bigger burden than the easy, physical stuff.

It does appear that fire is hard to make there. Everyone seemed to struggle mightily to get a fire started and keep it going. So that would appear to me to be an environmental issue, not just a skills issue.

I am guessing that everyone was told by the producers what to focus on when they recorded so the audience could understand what they are going through. So I wouldn't say they are "whining" but rather doing what they were told to do. "Talk about your feelings, talk about what is going through your head. Share with the audience so they understand." That sort of stuff. We also don't know what calls they have received and talked about off camera. I would also venture a guess that they get a call at least once a day to make certain they are alive and kicking.

I am also surprised that only one (1) guy has used his net in all this time! When he did he could five (5) pounds of meat! To me, that would be the goto tool from then on. I would just make certain to check it every damn day so some bear doesn't come along and take my food while tearing the net.

I need to go camping and improve my skills, that is certain.

Regards,

Doug

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yes, I am a Sam fan as well. I do think a substantial shelter would help for the reasons you outlined. Thinking the producers are to blame for the whining, I think its a queue of what's to come. I would like to see this show go on for years thinking that survival experts could find their niche and prolong it indefinitely. I doubt that could happen with the state of television though.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

I don't get why the guy who took down some good sized trees stopped building? It may not have been the best without good clay, but it sure as hell would have kept him reasonably dry with a safe base of operations that the large predators couldn't get into. I would think that would really, really help with a good nights sleep. It would also give a strong sense of "home" that would help with the mental fatigue.

I was thinking the same...

Get a predator resistant "home" and it relieves a LOT of mental worry and should provide a MUCH more restful night of sleep. Sleep can mean a GREAT deal in confidence, making mistakes (or not making them), and physical bodily condition... it's vital to long-term survival.

Some random musings as to why he gave it up:
    He realized that it was going to be much more work than anticipated and gave up but provided the "clay" reasoning to save face.
    He really believes the clay was so poor that it would completely be a wasted effort.
    He decided being tied down to one area may be detrimental.
    Something in the area spooked him and he may wish to try another area.
    He decided that a more permanent shelter wasn't as high of priority as he initially put it.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I was thinking the same...

Get a predator resistant "home" and it relieves a LOT of mental worry and should provide a MUCH more restful night of sleep. Sleep can mean a GREAT deal in confidence, making mistakes (or not making them), and physical bodily condition... it's vital to long-term survival.

Some random musings as to why he gave it up:
    He realized that it was going to be much more work than anticipated and gave up but provided the "clay" reasoning to save face.
    He really believes the clay was so poor that it would completely be a wasted effort.
    Something in the area spooked him and he may wish to try another area.
    He decided that a more permanent shelter wasn't as high of priority as he initially put it.

Any of those reasons are plausible. If the reason he gave is true, then he allowed "perfect" to get in the way of "pretty good." We all do this in our day to day lives, in business, in relationships. He may have been picturing a "great" cabin and gave up just because he would wind up with an "OK" cabin. REALLY??? An OK cabin would have been a helluva lot better than a great tarp...:rolleyes:

Doug

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Was that Lucas with the cabin?

This is what I was thinking, but I could have been any reason. They didn't show much of him, so who knows...?

Bonkers4Bacon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Fields of Green
    Probably also had to do with the fact it expends a lot of calories. Eating plants isn't going to gain back the calories burned from building a cabin. Its a good long term plan if you have the resources to recoup.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Only watched the first three episodes but did not understand why no one made a spear or several spears. A nice long spear is good defense and possible offense.

bonkers1919

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Columbus
    What do you think would happen to our effeminate; metrosexual; iPhone-addicted; lisping; limp-wristed; self-obsessed; Twitter-, texting-, video game-addled; La-Z-Boy-riding; overgrown-child culture in the event that another economic crisis even remotely similar were to occur? Yes, most of them would die, probably in a horrible fashion.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Finally watched the latest episode; the guy that drank non-boiled water, filtered through moss, gathered from a source that he just "assumed" was clean was a retard. I'm sorry but that just seems idiotic and could kill a person in a real survival situation. Why would you even think that was ok?

He stated sphagnum moss contains iodine, even if it does you have to use your brain a little. With iodine tablets you have to let the water sit for a period of time, he poured the water across the top of the moss and drank it right away...

I hate to stereotype but it seems like a very classic example of, "I saw this on the internet so it must be true" nevermind the fact that the 30 second youtube video didn't actually detail anything about the process and he more than likely never educated himself further than "I saw this once"....

Only watched the first three episodes but did not understand why no one made a spear or several spears. A nice long spear is good defense and possible offense.
    I wondered that as well. A few "spears" set strategically around camp could become a great barrier to curious bears... it's quite common for folks up north to deter bears from breaking into cabins by laying down boards of nails underneath windows/doors/etc.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Finally watched the latest episode; the guy that drank non-boiled water, filtered through moss, gathered from a source that he just "assumed" was clean was a retard. I'm sorry but that just seems idiotic and could kill a person in a real survival situation. Why would you even think that was ok?

He stated sphagnum moss contains iodine, even if it does you have to use your brain a little. With iodine tablets you have to let the water sit for a period of time, he poured the water across the top of the moss and drank it right away...

I hate to stereotype but it seems like a very classic example of, "I saw this on the internet so it must be true" nevermind the fact that the 30 second youtube video didn't actually detail anything about the process and he more than likely never educated himself further than "I saw this once"....

I wondered that as well. A few "spears" set strategically around camp could become a great barrier to curious bears... it's quite common for folks up north to deter bears from breaking into cabins by laying down boards of nails underneath windows/doors/etc.

Sphagnum is antibacterial as well as containing astringent properties. It very well works for filtering but IDK about 1pass with no boiling from unknown water source. I could see several passes from a questionable running water source, and then boiling but as much as I love plants and how awesome they can be, I wouldn't want to chance drinking water.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Called it!:banana:

Now we have a show. They had to start skipping days.
    Lucas is getting a bit ostentatious. It might bite him in the butt.
    Has everyone had their cry now?
    They are all contenders now.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    In thinking about what I would do to try to win the $500,000, the first thing NOW would be to smash the sat phone!

I believe that this would cause a significant paradigm shift in my thinking that would be positive. As long as they know in the back of their minds that they have a way out it creates a psychological weak link. People survive in a crisis because they have to! We are all far more capable than we realize, it is only when pushed to the brink that we find our strength is greater than we thought it was.

The sat phone becomes a crutch. It allowed them to always know they "didn't have to put up with this crap."

I believe that everyone who tapped out would have a very good chance of surviving on that island if they had to, say from a shipwreck or downed plane.

All that said I believe this has been a very educational show. It shows that with even with good equipment, even with with good skills, people can still fail due to mental weakness. The mental strength is very hard to build. We like to think we're tough, but we each have our breaking points. Total isolation will lead quite quickly to that precipice. They showed this accurately in Tom Hanks movie Castaway, with his created friend Wilson. It showed how he needed someone, even a make believe friend, to interact with. These guys have shown the same problem.

Two (2) of them I do understand, partly. The guy who got sick and the guy who lost his fire stick. The guy who got sick might have died, but not likely. Even without help he was big and in good health, but I understand. It was also the fact that he was alone without someone there to encourage him or care for him psychologically. The guy who lost his fire stick had a fire at the time. He could have tried to keep it going, although it would have been hard, but he didn't even try. I will admit that seeing 100% of them gripe about how difficult a fire was to start he was probably reasonable and understood firsthand how hard the struggle was going to be, but he didn't even try. Why? My thought is: sat phone. Crutch. After all, which one of us would choose to suffer when we know we don't have to?

It does seem that we are down to the few who appear to have the mental fortitude to persevere and survive. Yet I am still amazed that not a single one of them has tried to make a semi-permanent home. What is with that? With a little cabin you could have protection from the elements, a constant fire, protection from predators, an organized place to put tools and things. I just don't get it. The one guy was off to a great start in the beginning then he crapped out, yet he was the only one...?

To me this would also help by mentally giving you a place called "home," if only for a month or two. It would create a place of comfort and less stress. Yet I must admit that I am not there enduring the world as they are, and my thinking in my warm, dry chair behind my computin' machine is a world away from their wet and dreary days.

Doug

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I'm not sure but I think they have the sat phone so the producers can check on them as well. They ARE responsible for their well being after all and having one of the participants die would make it difficult to get guys for the next show. I do see your point though as it could become a crutch.
    I'm really surprised at how MENTAL it has been. Its weird how you can see the guys talking themselves out of staying. It always stems from a recent mistake or a let down they've encountered. Then the rationalizing and the excuses then the tap out.
    I'd like to think I could do it but I sure do like my bed.

Wife said if it would have been smart for the participants to take week long solitary camping trips prior to the show just to get used to being alone in their own heads. I'm sure there are coping skills that once developed would prove invaluable , mentally , in that kinda situation.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm not sure but I think they have the sat phone so the producers can check on them as well. They ARE responsible for their well being after all and having one of the participants die would make it difficult to get guys for the next show. I do see your point though as it could become a crutch.
    I'm really surprised at how MENTAL it has been. Its weird how you can see the guys talking themselves out of staying. It always stems from a recent mistake or a let down they've encountered. Then the rationalizing and the excuses then the tap out.
    I'd like to think I could do it but I sure do like my bed.

Wife said if it would have been smart for the participants to take week long solitary camping trips prior to the show just to get used to being alone in their own heads. I'm sure there are coping skills that once developed would prove invaluable , mentally , in that kinda situation.

Cpt Caveman,

No doubt they probably get a call about once per day checking up on them AND reminding the participants to document their trials and difficulties, never leaving out how they feel and what they are going through. The problem is, as the participants talk they could work themselves into a mental depression by bringing thoughts to the surface and expressing them. The big example of that was the guy talking about missing his four (4) year old daughters birthday. Normally he would probably keep that suppressed, yet with the camera he was talking about it and dredging up a depressing thought. He wasn't keeping focused on the goal that $500,000 would help give his family a better life and practically guarantee his daughter a chance for college wherever she may want to go.

I absolutely LOVE your wifes idea! She is smart. Doing a dry run alone for mental preparation would be a great practice just to see how difficult the mental stress will be. I wonder on the next season (if there is one) whether or not any of the participants will have done this? I doubt it. I'll bet most of these gung-ho types will think the guys on there were weak, they weren't prepared, that I'm better than that! I'm tough. I'm going to focus on skills and physical strength. We all love to think we are special and unique, when in reality we share many of the traits of our fellow man.

As of now I will not be entirely surprised if one of the guys just ups and quits, missing his family too much. It wouldn't surprise me if he is doing good on the skills and material side of surviving but isn't able to endure being without family. We shall see.

Doug

Top Bottom