• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Check out this GORGEOUS HD video of a B-17 and B-25 flying over Arizona's Superstition Mountains and Saguaro Lake. It was evidently shot on Memorial Day 2010, but I hadn't seen it until a friend forwarded it to me the other day. Enjoy!

H5

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I had to plug the laptop into my HDTV to watch that!

I still say that the B17 is the most beautiful and graceful aircraft of the era.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    thats awesome!! my great uncle (i think thats the right term) was a pilot in WWII, some of the stories of the old planes .... just amazing! That would have been awesome to fly on one of those birds (during peace time)

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    My next door neighbor (age 90 now) was a P-51 Mustang pilot during WWII! Some of the things he's shared from personal experience are increadible! Boy do I like hanging out along side the fence chatting with him! He's a hero in my book!

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    What is wrong with people these days?

The P-38 is clearly the sexiest airplane of the war.

P38.jpg

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Season starts early this year; the Indy Air Show is coming up in four weeks! :rockwoot:

15th Annual Indianapolis Air Show

Go to Thunder Over Louisville this Saturday - Awesome Air Show plus the World's Largest Regular Fireworks Show. If you haven't been - it's a HUGE fireworks gig.. It's going to be a little rough weather wise - but the crowds should be lower than normal as well...

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I was in the backyard working yesterday and I heard this low rumble. I thought man tha chevy sure doesn't sound right. It kept getting louder. I looked up and saw this plane coming my way. It had fixed landing gear. Looked like a WWII plane with USAF painted under the left side wing. I sounded really good. The guy was just cruising on along low and slow. I'll try to find a picture of one later.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    My uncle was a tailgunner on a B-17 named "Hell's Angels". For one mission he changed planes and during the mission over france his plane was blown in half by a flak explosion. Luckily he parachuted safely and nearly made it across the border until he was handed to the SS by the French just 5 miles from safety. He spent over 2 years in a German prison camp until the end of the war.

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    Very cool video! They took off from Falcon Field which is in Mesa, AZ near Higgley & the 202. The B25 is based there and sits out in front of Anzio's Landing, a nice italian resturant all the time. It's a cool place with all kinds of memorabilia mostly from the Italian air war.

I've got a soft spot for the old iron, worked for a company that restored warbirds for 6 or 7 years while completing my bs & ms degrees in Wichita. Usually got a hop around the patch in most of them including P-40, 51, T-28, T-6, B-24, B-25, F4U, beech18's, Jap zero (actually a T-6 converted for the movie ToraToraTora), wacos, stearmans, etc etc etc....
    A guy who I helped build a home-built last summer just bought a T-28 and can't wait to get a ride in it as well:rockwoot:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    There's nothing quite like the sound of those big radials rumbling. A few years back I was in on an after hours tour of the USAF museum, and got to get in the cockpit of the Bockscar! They were in the process of refurbishing her, but man, that was one of the coolest things I've ever got to do. Anybody who loves aircraft should visit that place.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    There's nothing quite like the sound of those big radials rumbling. A few years back I was in on an after hours tour of the USAF museum,

Anybody who loves aircraft should visit that place.

The boy and I just went a couple weeks ago! :yesway: We try to make it over there at least every couple years.

Go to Thunder Over Louisville this Saturday

My Dad and I have talked about doing "Thunder" for years, but have yet to actually go. Something about a crowd that size all jammed along the waterfront kinda gives me the willies, to say nothing of the logistics of getting in and out. Maybe someday. In the meantime, the Indy show and/or Dayton give us our fix every summer. :)

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    I love the P-38's :rockwoot:

I can't remember it's designation but they came up with twin P-51 that was similar , it was pretty cool also but I don't think it seen any action .

F82 I believe.

We still use the test cells that were used for the engines of the P-38, P-39, P-40 and early P-51s. You can still see places where the original bricks were replaced when a prop came apart and hit the wall.

Top Bottom