• Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    dennyd75
    Spitfire.jpg

No, the sexiest aircraft of that era was by far the British Spitfire. Yowzas!
    dennyd75

bobby bobolink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Paradise Bay
    Great video. I whiffed on a chance to take a half hour flight in a restored B-17 at the EAA airshow and fly-in at OshKosh several years ago:( I could have afforded the fee years ago, but not now. Just hearing the rumble of those engines was thrilling. That year was some sort of anniversary and they organized a simulated bombing formation with a ton of different aircraft, it was awesome:rockwoot:I think i need to hit an airshow this year.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    I absolutely LOVE the old warbirds. They give me a peculiar feeling in my underpants!

The sounds are incredible. The Rolls-Royce Merlin is a symphony to me, with the wumpitty-wump of the big radials a close second.

I can't imagine what it must have been like back in the day when the sky was full of them as far as the eye could see.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    so at an airshow can you pay to fly in one of these bad boys?

It's been a while since I've been to an airshow, but some planes were taking paying passengers for a short hop. They used to let some also take the left seat as pilot too. My dad got to fly a B-17 one afternoon but I don't know how much he paid for that privilege. The co-pilot seat was the one doing the landing and take-offs though.

If you get the opportunity to go in a fighter equipped with an extra seat, find a way to do it! You'll never forget it. I had the opportunity to take a 20-30 minute flight in a P-47 many moons ago. God was that fun!!!!:rockwoot:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Most flights will run anywhere from $100 to $300. That's usually for a half hour, but it is well worth it. There is a guy in Louisville that has a Stearman bipe that gives rides, I think it's around $125.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My GF and I went out to the mt comfort show a couple of years ago. We were standing right next to the taxiway they were using to move from the parking apron to the runway for takeoff. It was time for the warbirds to takeoff and I was standing there watching them taxi by listening to those AWESOME radial engines when she poked me on the arm and started laughing at me. Seems my arms were all covered in goosebumps. She wanted to know if she should try to go and find me a cigarette, I told her not yet because this was only the seventh inning stretch!!!:rockwoot:

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    The plane was a P47 that flew overhead yesterday. Talked to my old retired neighbor about it today. He is Air Force retired from WW2 and Korea. He just smiled and laughed a little at me explaining what happened.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I like old warbirds. Flown on a B17 and a T6 Texan. I even got to do the controls on the T6 for barrel rolls, loopty loops, etc.

B-17PurdueAirportLafSept07200809-1.jpg

B-17PurdueAirportLafSept07200809-2.jpg

318817-R1-02-3A.jpg

318817-R1-03-4A.jpg

My wife, daughter and I flew on this biplane in Key West.

ea04fd34.jpg

41fdfee5.jpg

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    :yesway:

Too bad your daughter didn't enjoy the ride.

My wife and daughter went up first for an island/shipwreck tour then my daughter and I went up for an island tour. I took that pic right after I got in the plane. She didn't want to go up at first because she doesn't like the loud noise but you can tell she managed. I love that pic of her.

historybuff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Shelby County
    I too love the war birds.

Dad was in the Army Air Corps and learned to fly in an AT-6. He flew B-29's over Japan.

Mom worked at the Allison plant in Indy during the war. I'm blessed to have several framed prints of some of the planes powered by Allison engines.

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Finally got around to posting these vids from my ride on a C47(DC-3) at the 2008 Mt. Comfort Air Show. Best $100 I've spent. Would love to go up in a B17 or other vintage bomber, but just haven't had the spare $$$ yet. Anyway here you go...First up is the takeoff roll...love the sound of those old radial engines :)

http://youtu.be/5t5ghv2L8oI

Next is a short vid on the flight deck, including a view out a side window. This plane is sponsored by the Great Lakes wing of the Commemorative Air Force...History on this aircrafts namesake through the link...The Great Lakes Wing Sponsors the Douglas C-47

http://youtu.be/RQTCRUh93RU

Top Bottom