• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Well, now that I'm reminiscing, I'll gonna post a few pics too. First a couple from the Gathering of Mustangs and Legends show back in 2007. Great show, featuring virtually all of the surviving Tuskegee Airmen, plus about 40 P-51's from all over. First, just a pic of the parking area, next is the finale. 20 Mustangs in a "51" formation flyover...you wanna talk about goosbumps!

These next 4 are from the EAA event in Oshkosh last year. First are a couple different Heritage flights they did. First is an F-86, A-10, and a pair of P-38's. The next Day the P-38's returned, this time with an F-4 and F-15.

One of the P-38's was Glacier Girl, an aircraft recovered from an ice cap in Greenland 50 years after it was ditched there on the way to England. Glacier Girl - The Lost Squadron (Recovery of a P-38 from beneath a Greenland ice cap)

Finally a pic of John Mohr and his Stearman doing what he does...also a bonus shot of a Fokker D1 Tri Wing...

A5guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Steuben County
    I've been obsessed with the old WW2 birds since I was 4 years old. I have an uncle who was a B-24 tailgunner, and flew in the ball a few times to get his 50. Said he came home with holes in his flak suit 'scary' often, and he knew a lot of guys that didn't make it.

Last time I was at the museum of science and industry in Chicago- there it was! A JU87 Stuka hanging by wires with a Spitfire behind it. I must have stood there for an hour looking at that magnificient creepy machine. I read it was captured in North Africa, and you could see quite a few holes in its underside. Those things had automatic dive brakes that would level the plane out after it released it's bombs, because the pilot was often knocked unconscious from the Gs. Just a far out spooky airplane.

Every once in a while I'll hear those old lumbering radial engines overhead and stop whatever I'm doing outside, hoping to see an old Thunderbolt or Corsair. It's usually a DC3 (C47), but even those are awesome to me. Still a lot of them flying too.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I've been obsessed with the old WW2 birds since I was 4 years old. I have an uncle who was a B-24 tailgunner, and flew in the ball a few times to get his 50. Said he came home with holes in his flak suit 'scary' often, and he knew a lot of guys that didn't make it.

Last time I was at the museum of science and industry in Chicago- there it was! A JU87 Stuka hanging by wires with a Spitfire behind it. I must have stood there for an hour looking at that magnificient creepy machine. I read it was captured in North Africa, and you could see quite a few holes in its underside. Those things had automatic dive brakes that would level the plane out after it released it's bombs, because the pilot was often knocked unconscious from the Gs. Just a far out spooky airplane.

Every once in a while I'll hear those old lumbering radial engines overhead and stop whatever I'm doing outside, hoping to see an old Thunderbolt or Corsair. It's usually a DC3 (C47), but even those are awesome to me. Still a lot of them flying too.

That Stuka and Spitfire were hanging at the museum when I was a kid in the fifties. Many years ago the Stuka actually fell and was sent to Hales Corners, WI where the EAA restored it. This was before the EAA moved to OshKosh. At Hales Corners, the EAA folks let me go right up to the plane and check it out.

Though I'm not yet an expert in model building, I have a collection of model planes from WWII. Its a relaxing winter hobby.

For anyone who has never been to the Osh Kosh show, put it on your bucket list.

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

Amen to that! Digital_Photog, I rode on that Tri Motor several years ago at the Vectren air show over in Dayton. Before I had a digital video camera, but it was a great trip. There's a guy at the Greenwood airport who offers rides in his Stearman, one of these days I need to contact him to find out how much they are. Talking about all this has me craving a hop in something with a propeller :):

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Here's a link to the Collings Foundation: The Collings Foundation - Preserving Living Aviation History for Future Generations
    They own and operate the B-17 Nine 'o Nine that I got to take a ride on. They also fly a B-24 and several other warbirds.
    DSC00084.jpg

DSC00082.jpg

DSC00109.jpg

DSC00129.jpg

DSC00067.jpg

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Some of my earliest memories were of standing in amazement of vintage Warbirds! Product of being the grandson of an Army Air Corps pilot, a man that will always be my hero, and the best damn pilot I have ever known.

Despite having flown some of the coolest high tech products our nation can build, there is still something magical about the cough and crackle as a big Radial cranks.

As for personal favorite...so many works of engineering art to choose from, but still toping my list....The "Ensign Killer" aka Chance Vought's masterpiece, the Corsair. Big, Overpowered, no where near as easy to fly as some of her worthy peers, the Stang, Spit, or Hellcat...but in the hands of a gifted aviator absolutely deadly! I have flown Texans, Wacos and was lucky enough to get up in a two seat modded 51, but this girl is High on my "bucket list"!

1788457.jpg

Last edited:

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    That Stuka and Spitfire were hanging at the museum when I was a kid in the fifties. Many years ago the Stuka actually fell and was sent to Hales Corners, WI where the EAA restored it. This was before the EAA moved to OshKosh. At Hales Corners, the EAA folks let me go right up to the plane and check it out.

Though I'm not yet an expert in model building, I have a collection of model planes from WWII. Its a relaxing winter hobby.

Been there, Done that. Have flown in and driven to Oshkosh many times. I spent some time working on the restoration of the Ford Trimotor. Have worked as a volunteer at AirVenture. Been an EAA member since the 1970's

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    As for personal favorite...so many works of engineering art to choose from, but still toping my list....The "Ensign Killer" aka Chance Vought's masterpiece, the Corsair. Big, Overpowered, no where near as easy to fly as some of her worthy peers, the Stang, Spit, or Hellcat...but in the hands of a gifted aviator absolutely deadly! I have flown Texans, Wacos and was lucky enough to get up in a two seat modded 51, but this girl is High on my "bucket list"!

1788457.jpg

That's THE plane as far as I'm concerned. One of my favorite shows as a kid was Baa Baa Blacksheep. Got Pappy Boyington's autograph stashed away somewhere from an airshow as a kid.

Stubbleducker

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Indy
    Last night (thursday) was treated to a sight... My friend's T28 was getting the engine reinstalled after an overhaul, so went over to see it. Just so happened that Tom Wood's (deceased car dealership owner) planes were being checked out for the upcoming airshow season. An old boy from Cincinatti came up and was putting the P51D mustang and F8F Bearcat through their paces in the skies of Hamilton County. The 'stang was awesome, but the sound of that radial bearcat at full power was simply staggering!!!:rockwoot:

Top Bottom