• cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    45 million uninsured americans.

And how many of them weren't receiving health care but wanted it?

Now, what about all those Americans who can't afford a big-screen TV, or an iPhone, or a Lexus?

Or who don't have a job that pays the national median income?

Or who don't have something that someone else has?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    For me, I think the answer is work 24 hours/week and nothing more. Use my income to get free Medicaid and then not work a single minute more to cap my income, qualify for the AMT for more tax money, and enroll in a masters program in my field.

Just work under the table, illegals have been doing it for decades & they don't even speak ENGLISH

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    45 million uninsured americans.
    Mainly by their own choice. The vast majority of them were between jobs, 18-25 and didn't want to buy insurance, or already eligible for coverage and just didn't sign up.

if you believe you number, that equates to about 15% of Americans. New study says 25% plan to pay the fine and not buy a policy. This leaves MORE uninsured than before.

This has never been about getting help for those without insurance. This is about taking over a huge segment of the economy and forcing government dependency on people.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Mainly by their own choice. The vast majority of them were between jobs, 18-25 and didn't want to buy insurance, or already eligible for coverage and just didn't sign up.

if you believe you number, that equates to about 15% of Americans. New study says 25% plan to pay the fine and not buy a policy. This leaves MORE uninsured than before.

This has never been about getting help for those without insurance. This is about taking over a huge segment of the economy and forcing government dependency on people.
    :+1:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    My fines in 2014 will be $275, 2015 it would be $975, and in 2016 it would be $2,085....

Buy the expensive insurance or pay the expensive fines?

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    My fines in 2014 will be $275, 2015 it would be $975, and in 2016 it would be $2,085....

Buy the expensive insurance or pay the expensive fines?

You stated before that you make less then anyone. If this is true you qualify for government rebates, and pay very little for what you get, and very little in general. I believe it's $45 a mouth for health insurance thru the marketplace for those with rebates. I'm not saying it's right to force pepole to pay for something they don't want. Thats a whole other subject about societies costs, etc.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    ObamaCare is also anti-gun, folks... Big Brother will be able to use your medical data to disarm you if you are deemed "unfit". It happened to 150,000 American Veterans and it can happen to us. We need to fight this tooth and nail every step of the way.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    You stated before that you make less then anyone. If this is true you qualify for government rebates, and pay very little for what you get, and very little in general. I believe it's $45 a mouth for health insurance thru the marketplace for those with rebates. I'm not saying it's right to force pepole to pay for something they don't want. Thats a whole other subject about societies costs, etc.

Rebates don't do you much good if you can't afford to pay the initial outlay. Which kid should these people not feed?

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    Rebates don't do you much good if you can't afford to pay the initial outlay. Which kid should these people not feed?

Who pays for those now that get sick and don't have insurance? Those that do have insurance pay for them, taxpayers pay for them, society pays for them, you and I pay for them. This Obamacare might save money and lives, it might not. It might do a lot of things good or bad. The whole medical system is broke, and anyone that has ever got sick knows that. Something needs to change; Obamacare might not be the answer, I don't really know enough to know, most of us don't. Hell most in congress don't understand our system. And that is the biggest part of the problem (and middle men who leach money from the system); the whole system is to complicated. Most companies have employees who's whole job is to deal with insurance. Thats nuts.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Who pays for those now that get sick and don't have insurance? Those that do have insurance pay for them, taxpayers pay for them, society pays for them, you and I pay for them. This Obamacare might save money and lives, it might not. It might do a lot of things good or bad. The whole medical system is broke, and anyone that has ever got sick knows that. Something needs to change; Obamacare might not be the answer, I don't really know enough to know, most of us don't. Hell most in congress don't understand our system. And that is the biggest part of the problem (and middle men who leach money from the system); the whole system is to complicated. Most companies have employees who's whole job is to deal with insurance. Thats nuts.

It appears the ObamaCare has bent to overall cost curve UP, rather than down.

Further there are many who do not have insurance who ACTUALLY PAY THEIR BILLS and most doctors will reduce the price if you pay cash/check.

You have to realize that there are (or were) many people who can afford to pay for doctors who do not have insurance because its cheaper to pay for routine services. Typically these same upper income people also have (had) 'catastrophic' insurance policies that kick in if the bill is $10,000 or more and that covers things like surgery, etc.

Why should I, as an upper income person, buy insurance if I can afford to pay my bills and have a simple major medical policy to cover catastrophic bills? Insurance costs more than simply paying for the service at the time of the service.

So many of us who were "uninsured" did so because we could afford not to be insured. Now we are paying thousands more to have insurance that we don't need. But the cost of the infrastructure to support the insurance raises the cost of not just my service but the services for everyone.

FWIW, my sister lives in England, they have "free healthcare" there. She flies to New York to go to the doctor when she has any serious issues because the "free healthcare" in the UK sucks so badly that its worth just what it costs!!!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    It appears the ObamaCare has bent to overall cost curve UP, rather than down.

Further there are many who do not have insurance who ACTUALLY PAY THEIR BILLS and most doctors will reduce the price if you pay cash/check.

You have to realize that there are (or were) many people who can afford to pay for doctors who do not have insurance because its cheaper to pay for routine services. Typically these same upper income people also have (had) 'catastrophic' insurance policies that kick in if the bill is $10,000 or more and that covers things like surgery, etc.

Why should I, as an upper income person, buy insurance if I can afford to pay my bills and have a simple major medical policy to cover catastrophic bills? Insurance costs more than simply paying for the service at the time of the service.

So many of us who were "uninsured" did so because we could afford not to be insured. Now we are paying thousands more to have insurance that we don't need. But the cost of the infrastructure to support the insurance raises the cost of not just my service but the services for everyone.

FWIW, my sister lives in England, they have "free healthcare" there. She flies to New York to go to the doctor when she has any serious issues because the "free healthcare" in the UK sucks so badly that its worth just what it costs!!!

The reason you will have to pay is because it has nothing to do with what insurance you need. It is all about getting as many people paying into the sytem as possible.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

Ihttp://www.healthinsurance.org/learn/obamacare-penalty-calculator/ do not want Obamacare, nor do I want medicaid on my little girls but have to have medicaid to keep CPS away. Do you realize how much personal information I have to provide to the government so we can just take them to the required doc visits and shots? It really does kill your dignity and pride when you have to go through that.

Getting off medicaid when I can bring enough to afford insurance for at least the girls. That's a big uphill battle for me at the moment, my options are limited.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    I just threw in a quick "guesstimate" of my part-time income for 2013 into TurboTax. I entered in base pay with paying "0" taxes and I'd be able to get $6k in EIC for "free". Comes out to getting "paid" an extra 20 hours/month for doing nothing.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    I just threw in a quick "guesstimate" of my part-time income for 2013 into TurboTax. I entered in base pay with paying "0" taxes and I'd be able to get $6k in EIC for "free". Comes out to getting "paid" an extra 20 hours/month for doing nothing.

We can thank Ronald Reagan for that welfare. Since he signed it into law and was a strong supporter of it.

Ronald Reagan and the 47 Percent - Businessweek

Reagan strongly supported the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), which sends checks to Americans who work but earn less than around $46,000 a year, depending on family size. Recipients of the credit are among those who don’t pay income tax, but Reagan never regarded that as a problem. His administration estimated that the 1986 reform of the tax code would remove 6 million working poor from the tax rolls. Reagan called the reform a “sweeping victory for fairness” and “perhaps the biggest antipoverty program in our history.”

Some may be able to use there Reagan welfare to pay for there Obamacare..... BTW love the Bush/Obama avatar.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    FTFY. Actually it's the entire subject. One more massive infringement. Soon we will all belong to the government.

Hurray!:noway:

This 100%. I am sick of the government telling me what type of light bulb to buy, how much water our toilets use, what type of television we can watch, and now a mandate that we must belong to a health care system whether we want one or not?

I am one of those who pays cash for doctor visits, has an account set up strictly for medical use, and don't want the government telling me that I must pay an additional monthly fee for something that will still have an out of pocket way in excess of what I spend! I don't want the government forcing me into something that I do not want, nor need. We the people tell the federal government what to do, not the other way around. Somewhere we the people lost control, and look where it got us.

Top Bottom