• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Judging by the car in the picture (MOPAR with energy absorbing back bumper) , and the girl's fashion, I would say mid 1970's. If it was a color print we could be more accurate by seeing if she was wearing Blue or Green eyeshade (green was popular later). My Philips 66 station in the mid 1970's was 52 to 59 cents a gallon for regular leaded, we still wore the white shirts with red pinstripes. If the sign in the picture was 13.0, that was probably for a liter, the way it was sold in Canada, which would have been about right. If the sign meant $1.30, that would have been California price about 1979. either way.

The last car that I owned with a gas filler in the bumper was my 1971 Skylark GS. It got pretty bad mileage in stock form, until I gave King Speedshop in Torrance ave about a dozen weeks of paychecks to modify it. The mileage went from bad to obscene, but it was REALLY fun to drive.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Judging by the car in the picture (MOPAR with energy absorbing back bumper) , and the girl's fashion, I would say mid 1970's. If it was a color print we could be more accurate by seeing if she was wearing Blue or Green eyeshade (green was popular later). My Philips 66 station in the mid 1970's was 52 to 59 cents a gallon for regular leaded, we still wore the white shirts with red pinstripes. If the sign in the picture was 13.0, that was probably for a liter, the way it was sold in Canada, which would have been about right. If the sign meant $1.30, that would have been California price about 1979. either way.

The last car that I owned with a gas filler in the bumper was my 1971 Skylark GS. It got pretty bad mileage in stock form, until I gave King Speedshop in Torrance ave about a dozen weeks of paychecks to modify it. The mileage went from bad to obscene, but it was REALLY fun to drive.

The GS was an all time favorite street sleeper. Just as my 1970 442 W-30 was.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

I had a 71 cutlass with a 350 Rocket and Muncie four speed. That was a fun car to drive.
    I bought it off an elderly gentleman for $800, that bought it from his son. His son was getting in trouble with the law so the Dad bought it to keep his son out of trouble.

I like those old Buick's, Pontiac's and Oldsmobiles's.

Hey CM, did the 442 have a dual gate shifter in the automatic? I think some called it His and Hers.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

W-30 package, that was "not your fathers Oldsmobile". They had a way of maximizing the torque, even if the posted HP ratings were a little lower. Hard to believe the whole brand is gone. Even the Olds 98 Brougham 455 car I had would really roll ( as long as there were no corners and you didn't have to stop). A gallon of gas would not take that one very far either. Car ownership used to be a lot more fun back then.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I remember, as a kid, trying to get one of those little bottles of Coke out of that funky slide-rack in the Coke machine without taking all the skin off my fingers.

And, you had to pay an extra nickel if you weren't gonna drink it there and leave the empty.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    W-30 package, that was "not your fathers Oldsmobile". They had a way of maximizing the torque, even if the posted HP ratings were a little lower. Hard to believe the whole brand is gone. Even the Olds 98 Brougham 455 car I had would really roll ( as long as there were no corners and you didn't have to stop). A gallon of gas would not take that one very far either. Car ownership used to be a lot more fun back then.

No it was not the everyday Oldsmobile and yes, it had the "His and Hers" hurst in it.
    It had a micro switch the engaged when you selected the "His" side of the gate and seemed to hold the trans in the selected gear longer.

I did the standard set of Hookers, larger exhaust, Did some carb work, Changed out the distributor for a re-curved unit and that car was a rocket. There was a chassis dyno at a good friends "Service station" in Speedway. My cars were a regular on it. I did some work there to cover the cost. Once in proper tune I may have been beat out once on the street by my buddys LS-6 powered 68 Nova 4 speed but that may only be a rumor.....:)
    My 64 Polara Hemi 4 speed would get it in a stop light war as well but not much else.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No it was not the everyday Oldsmobile and yes, it had the "His and Hers" hurst in it.
    It had a micro switch the engaged when you selected the "His" side of the gate and seemed to hold the trans in the selected gear longer.

I did the standard set of Hookers, larger exhaust, Did some carb work, Changed out the distributor for a re-curved unit and that car was a rocket. There was a chassis dyno at a good friends "Service station" in Speedway. My cars were a regular on it. I did some work there to cover the cost. Once in proper tune I may have been beat out once on the street by my buddys LS-6 powered 68 Nova 4 speed but that may only be a rumor.....:)
    My 64 Polara Hemi 4 speed would get it in a stop light war as well but not much else.

You are talking about the headers, right?? :):

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Does anybody remember these? The antenna ball.

I see your old memorabilia and raise you:
    IMG_20140420_185435_zpscutl3oo4.jpg

The top of the torch isn't picture but I do have it.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yep I remember. My last car had it behind the plate, well actually most of my cars have. Hopefully my next one will to. I loved that car. A 93 Buick Roadmaster, although my next will be a 94 or 95.
    what's free air?

can't get that anywhere anymore

I still see a car now and then filling behind the license plate. memories

Family express has free air, and at least 2 other stations in my town do also. Heck the one will even fill your tires for you if you need it.

1984 Oldsmobile Delta 88, my first car's filler was behind the plate. Miss that big ol brown land yacht.

That's not a yacht, maybe a small cabin cruiser. My 71 Olds 98 was a yacht.

I had 1972 USS Delta 88 with a 455 Rocket and TH400 trans. That baby didn't start riding at its best until 70 mph.
    It just kind a floated like it was on a cloud of air. That was easily an eight passenger car.

Sounds like my 98 I had. 8 people minimum and heck with a van the backseat could dang near hold an orgy.

My dad had a 442 convertible, not sure of the exact year though. He sold it after getting pulled over too often. Not quite a mid life crises car but close to it.

Kokomo1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    I worked at a full service station in HS 77-79 and not only pumped gas but made change and had to figure sales tax on the fly since it wasn't included in the price. Also I loved washing the windshield of a pretty girl in a mini skirt. :)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    A friend in HS had some old about 1970 Chrysler aircraft carrier. I can't remember the model. Some sport was made of him driving on the sidewalk, but I think that was just his attempt to stay on his side of the stripe in the road. I swear there are cars out there that aren't as long as it was wide, and its length was proportionate. Back when they'd put a nice big gas tank in a car, so you could make it to the next station.

Top Bottom