• ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Thanks for asking a great question. NO. Moral and Civil Obligation First followed by health Risk and then the POTUS and Governor Mandates . Flatten the curve.

Agreed although I will go to a private outdoor range as long as it is sparsely populated when I get there.

If a "coach" felt compelled to put on anything, beginner classes for all the new 1st time gun owners might be of enough importance to take a bit more risk.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE
    I understand but if the concern is coming into contact with the virus you are 10x more likely to do so at a grocery store, gas station, etc that sees 1000s in a day than you are at a local shooting match with 50 people.
    Ok so in the 10 x you mention which is also arbitrary. That 1/10 is a friend and you just killed them.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    ive missed 2 idpa matches, we've already called off the next steel challenge match, I was really looking forward to the steel challenge match, we were planning on 6 stages, all official and letting people run 2 guns, and that was 3 weeks before the state match so it would have been a great "tune up" for the state match.

and I fully expect the state steel match to be canceled also (I said expect! I have no knowledge that its canceled!!!!)

when red brush rifle range was closed (by the government/state, not by the board!) we received so much grief from the members it's not even funny!, and now that ranges have been given permission to reopen, guess what...we took damage to the range from the storms Saturday night and we can't open (we should be open by this weekend) and im getting messages from club members volunteering to help clean up...well guess what...no groups of 10 or more is still a recommendation!

as much as I want and need to practice for the state steel challenge match...i'd rather have a poor performance and not pick up this virus and pass it along to another (im a 51 yo diabetic), I should be able to fight it off...but i'd hate to pass it along to someone who couldn't!, and I don't know about other clubs, but our club has over 1100 members, and a lot are over 60!!! (one member who's given us so much s**t is 81 and his facebook page is littered with "stay home" and "stop the spread")

so I guess to answer the question...no I wouldn't go to a match!, in fact, I most likely wont head to the range for at least another month!

peterock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    25   1   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ok so in the 10 x you mention which is also arbitrary. That 1/10 is a friend and you just killed them.

Thats fair, my point was transmission of this virus is happening even with a quarantine in place. Question was asked and answered, I feel much more exposed in other venues that are essential but I’m also not in the at risk category. I know it’s a sensitive subject right now but that’s why I like to come on here and discuss opinions.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    No.. Po-Po come, take you to jail for breaking the rulez. At this time group shooting event is not an essential function. 2 weeks from now group shooting may become a necessity.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    when red brush rifle range was closed (by the government/state, not by the board!) we received so much grief from the members it's not even funny!, and now that ranges have been given permission to reopen,
    Our club also shut down(and getting greif) but curious as what permission to reopen has been granted?
    Did the Governor make a statement saying so?
    Just curious as so much misinformation out there don't know what to believe.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Our club also shut down(and getting greif) but curious as what permission to reopen has been granted?
    Did the Governor make a statement saying so?
    Just curious as so much misinformation out there don't know what to believe.

per gun owners of america

https://gunowners.org/breaking-goa-...medium=email&utm_campaign=na-alert-2020-03-28

a quote from the article regarding ranges

The guidance specifically includes “[w]orkers supporting the operation of firearm or ammunition product manufacturers, retailers, importers, distributors, and shooting ranges” as part of the Essential Critical Infrastructure.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    I am not as smart as the experts around the globe who say to stay home and I do not have their medical knowledge and experience, easy call.

I always thought you were smarter that most. Then I saw you shooting a revolver! :): Staying home myself although I'm wanting to shoot of course. Hope you're doing good and will see you on the range when things clear up. :ingo:

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    I would stay home, why be out with the knuckleheads and chance a visit by the Sheriff? If they will arrest a pastor of a mega church in Florida, they'll have no problem busting up a group at a gun range. You think some nearby neighbor would not call police once the shooting started?

Better to go out in the back yard (if you can) and shoot some targets (and video) and post your results.

Fuzz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    LaFONTAINE

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    per gun owners of america

https://gunowners.org/breaking-goa-...medium=email&utm_campaign=na-alert-2020-03-28

a quote from the article regarding ranges

The guidance specifically includes “[w]orkers supporting the operation of firearm or ammunition product manufacturers, retailers, importers, distributors, and shooting ranges” as part of the Essential Critical Infrastructure.

What you quoted was something signed by POTUS it is advisory only and does not carry the force of the law.
    Did the Governor change his list of essential venues?
    The way I read it we are still on lock down.
    Hope I'm wrong.
    The no gathering of 10 or more is still in effect also.

I want to shoot as much as anyone and miss it and seeing everyone. My doctor said I'm not a high risk(but I can still get it I'm sure) but this isn't about me it is about friends, family, and neighbors that I could carry it in on and the ones that they could pass it on too.

Sorry a shooting match is way down the list of things I consider essential IMO.

JJM7288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Zionsville
    I would not at this point. We are invested in social distancing at this point to jeopardize the effort. That said, I sure look forward shooting steel challenge soon!

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    (I want to shoot as much as anyone and miss it and seeing everyone. My doctor said I'm not a high risk(but I can still get it I'm sure) but this isn't about me it is about friends, family, and neighbors that I could carry it in on and the ones that they could pass it on too.

Sorry a shooting match is way down the list of things I consider essential IMO.)

Well said. Life is short no need to make it shorter and dragging other people with you is just plain selfish.

longbeard

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    United States
    I hate being told what to do, but I am going to do my part. I'd like to see people get back to work. I don't think that is going to happen until people actually give what is requested a fair shot.

I'm getting my first wave of "2 degrees removed" reports. In my circle, I have two friends who came down with a nasty illness fitting the symptoms and recovered swiftly (awesome to know). I also have two friends/co-workers with dead elderly from the virus, and one friend of a friend on a ventilator. Fishers resident. My age and healthy. So, I think I'll just chill with family.

I stocked up on components and will continue to shoot/practice as I usually do. The time alone and working on things is what I enjoy anyway. No offense, but you guys aren't that great of company anyway.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    What you quoted was something signed by POTUS it is advisory only and does not carry the force of the law.
    Did the Governor change his list of essential venues?
    The way I read it we are still on lock down.
    Hope I'm wrong.
    The no gathering of 10 or more is still in effect also.

I want to shoot as much as anyone and miss it and seeing everyone. My doctor said I'm not a high risk(but I can still get it I'm sure) but this isn't about me it is about friends, family, and neighbors that I could carry it in on and the ones that they could pass it on too.

Sorry a shooting match is way down the list of things I consider essential IMO.

the way I read it is, "if the federal government says its essential, Indiana considers it essential" since the government added gun ranges to the list, that would mean Indiana would consider it essential (paragraph 1 on this link)
    https://coronavirus.in.gov/2496.htm

I know we're interpreting that way, and that west side sportmans club is also, we (red brush) would be open already except for the tornado damage, were waiting on the insurance adjuster (supposed to inspect tomorrow) after that, we'll have some electrical repair, and clean up, and we should (finger crossed) be open Friday or Saturday (but I agree with you...it might be open...but I aint goin!!!)

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Do I need to shoot a match to survive, do I need food to survive? Easy choice on which venue I choose to risk. Stay Safe. Sucks I downsized, had a 10 meter air rifle range in the old house basement.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    No.. Po-Po come, take you to jail for breaking the rulez. At this time group shooting event is not an essential function. 2 weeks from now group shooting may become a necessity.

What world are you from? The po-po is not coming.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Agreed although I will go to a private outdoor range as long as it is sparsely populated when I get there.

If a "coach" felt compelled to put on anything, beginner classes for all the new 1st time gun owners might be of enough importance to take a bit more risk.

The Governor said stay at home?

Top Bottom