• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I hate 40 because the internet told me to...
    Wait what? LOL

Who drug this thread up.

Well let me say again 40S&W sucks!

9mm bullet development has taken any performance benefit away from it.
    It costs more.
    And if its going to cost more, you might as well go 10MM... Hi point now has 10MM pistols and carbines.

1710182337358.jpeg

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    9mm bullet development has taken it from inadequate to good enough. That same development has taken .40 from good enough to great and .45 from great to still great.

It's funny to hear the 9mm guys keep reassuring themselves about their life's choices. Yes, yes, your little 9mm is a good caliber. After all, it's not the size but what you do with it, right?

All said in good fun.

There's room for all calibers in the world.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm thinking the 10mm will be my next purchase. lol
    10mm is awesome. It is the only automatic commonly available pistol caliber I would trust to take a lot of North American big game with.

That is where 10mm shines. Because there are other things then two legged weasels that need shootin sometimes. it does things on bigger animals that I would never trust 9,45, or 40 to do.

Yes you will actually have to track down 10mm truly loaded to the high end of 10mm spec. I just saw two texas boars slammed down hard last weekend with Underwood 10mm loads from a Hi Point carbine.

The Caliber war was over as soon as 10mm came out.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    10mm is awesome. It is the only automatic commonly available pistol caliber I would trust to take a lot of North American big game with.

That is where 10mm shines. Because there are other things then two legged weasels that need shootin sometimes. it does things on bigger animals that I would never trust 9,45, or 40 to do.

Yes you will actually have to track down 10mm truly loaded to the high end of 10mm spec. I just saw two texas boars slammed down hard last weekend with Underwood 10mm loads from a Hi Point carbine.

The Caliber war was over as soon as 10mm came out.
    I'm seriously looking at the Springfield 10MM XDME 3.8 COMPACT.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    You could argue that the shorter barrel benefits from 10mm power to achieve velocity faster.
    357mag in a snubnose does improve the velocity over a 38 special.
    It's usually around 200-300fps more velocity depending on weight of bullet used.
    That could be the difference between a hollow point expanding properly or acting like a fmj.

If it's for bear defense it will definitely give you deeper penetration with a Hardcast bullet.

So even if it's a shorter barrel the benefits of running full power 10mm loads in it will definitely make a difference vs 40S&W. You can run a 40S&W at +p or +p+ to achieve that velocity. But that might not be to good on your 40S&W handgun.
    Still going to be hard to beat handloaded 10mm or Underwood/Buffalo Bore ammunition with a 40S&W in a 3.8" barrel.

Ghostface

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2017
    Grant Co
    You could argue that the shorter barrel benefits from 10mm power to achieve velocity faster.
    A 10mm is always going to have at least a 200 fps (full power ammo) advantage over a .40 regardless of barrel length. I just ordered a P320 XTen Comp and it has a 3.8 inch a barrel, it’ll be my first 10mm. I wanted one since I first fired a friends delta elite in 1990…:)

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    A 10mm is always going to have at least a 200 fps (full power ammo) advantage over a .40 regardless of barrel length. I just ordered a P320 XTen Comp and it has a 3.8 inch a barrel, it’ll be my first 10mm. I wanted one since I first fired a friends delta elite in 1990…:)
    My thinking is. The right tool for the job. If CC is the job, you need a compact. If carrying around in bear country is the job. You need a full frame. If both are the job, buy both. lol Most compacts seem to fit my hands better than full frame. That is if the grips are long enough. I must say though, I haven't held a 1911 in .45 that I didn't like. But over all my G3c in .40 not only fits my hands better than most of what I own, I really enjoy shooting it also.

Top Bottom