• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunFreak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    How does the digital fingerprints work?

It's pretty painless, I used to use one regularly at a job. The one I used looked kinda like a computer that was about 5-6ft tall... it had a screen and keyboard, you typed in relevant info on the print card.. Then it had a small area, maybe a little bigger than your average touchpad, and that was the scanner for the print. You roll the finger across there, just like you would in ink, and usually the machine suggests "accept" or "discard"... Doesn't really mean the print is good or bad, its just operator decision whether the print is good or bad....

Very easy really... If you have really dry skin, it will have trouble picking up your prints. Get a good, high quality lotion and lather your hands good to moisten them up a little bit before getting the prints. Dry them off, and get your prints. We always used cornhusker lotion. Little dab of that stuff, and their prints jumped right out.

ceads

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    West side
    I've searched everywhere and I can't find the answers to a couple of questions. I applied for my LTCH yesterday on line and I chose the L1 option. I have an appointment with L1 this afternoon for fingerprinting. After finishing with L1, will I need to take something to my city PD or to the county? Also, what form of payment will I need to take to the PD? Will they take check, cash, Visa, or will I need to get a money order? Thanks for any help.

Ol' Wiley

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Indiucky (Clark Co.)
    I haven't used the online application system, but it sounds like it's all digital and you don't need to take any paperwork (Edit: Take L1 receipt/any paperwork they give you).

Depending on which LTCH you're applying for, refer to Fee Schedule below for $ amounts:
    If you live in the city, take (2) money orders or certified checks to the city police dept.
    Example for Lifetime Personal Protection/No Current License:
    $50 money order for Local
    $75 money order for State

If you live in the county, take them to the sheriff's dept.

Once it's all done, they will either take your money orders/certified checks and send the packet themselves, or they will take your Local money order and give you the packet to send yourself. You'll include the money order for the state in the packet (if they didn't put it in there themselves).

ltchfees.jpg

Last edited:

ceads

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    West side
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I should have given more information. I paid the $75 plus the $10.95 that L1 charges yesterday online with my credit card. When I go to the local PD, do I have to take a money order or will they accept other forms of payment? And, I live in Avon, will I go to the Avon PD or to the Hendricks County Sherriff's department?

ceads

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    West side
    Well, I decided to call the L1 people and they were no help at all. The lady just kept saying "we only take your fingerprints, we can't advice you on anything else." So, since I live in Avon, I called the Avon PD. The lady there was very knowledgeable and pleasant and told me that the neighborhood that I live in actually came under Hendricks County so I would have to go there. I called the HC Sheriff's dept and she said that I just need to bring the receipt from L1 and a $50 money order OR cash before 3:30 p.m., and they would take care of me.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    When I applied a few weeks ago, I did the online app simply because it was more convenient. Unfortunately I did not do the L1 so I will be waiting a while. When I went to the police department to do my fingerprints, it went quite quickly, in and then out. There was another person there that was filling out the paperwork, and I finished with my prints before they were done doing paper work. They could have just been a bit slow though :D

Like others have said, do the L1 option, apparently its much faster.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Well, I decided to call the L1 people and they were no help at all. The lady just kept saying "we only take your fingerprints, we can't advice you on anything else." So, since I live in Avon, I called the Avon PD. The lady there was very knowledgeable and pleasant and told me that the neighborhood that I live in actually came under Hendricks County so I would have to go there. I called the HC Sheriff's dept and she said that I just need to bring the receipt from L1 and a $50 money order OR cash before 3:30 p.m., and they would take care of me.

i would say you will get it before this time next week....took right at 8 days for mine...

ceads

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    West side
    I went downtown this afternoon and did my fingerprints with L1 at the State Police Hq. then came straight out to the Hendricks Co. Sheriffs office. The girl behind the window said she needed my receipt from L1, my driver's license, and the $50. I signed the application and that was it, took about 2 mins. No interview. She said it's taking about 10 weeks to get the LTCH. I said even with the L1, and she said yes, it may take a day or two off but that was it. I don't think she knows what she is talking about. We'll see. I'll post back here when I get it.

vwoodrum11

Marksman
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    Indy
    I filled my app out on line and did the L1 and received my permit exactly 7 days from the time I did my prints at an L1 site. Got the LTCH this last wednesday. Ceads I'm sure you will see it in about a week as well.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I filled my app out on line and did the L1 and received my permit exactly 7 days from the time I did my prints at an L1 site. Got the LTCH this last wednesday. Ceads I'm sure you will see it in about a week as well.

Check the wait thread, L1 is fast. It sounds like she just didnt know what she is talking about.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    Check the wait thread, L1 is fast. It sounds like she just didnt know what she is talking about.

Exactly, I did my renewal(now my last one) using the online and L1 method. I got printed and dropped everything off at the Speedway PD on a Tuesday, my lifetime was in my mailbox on Saturday. For me, the new system worked perfectly.

ceads

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    West side
    WooHoo!! Filled out the application online last Thursday, June 17th. Chose the L1 option and went downtown last Friday, the 18th to get the electronic fingerprints. I went straight from there to the Hendricks County Sheriff's department and paid the $50. The lady there told me it was taking about 10 weeks. I came home from work today, June 25th, and it was in the mail box. Exactly 1 week!! :) ...:)....:).....:):

djjdnap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    the polis of indiana
    It might be faster but you miss the experience to go downtown and see all the crazy people who are applying for their ltch as well. Then you get to get printed right there and then they give you some orange pumice to clean your hands and it doesn't work very well lol..

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I was renewing the permit again this time. It took 2 months to get an appt. at the Hammond police dept.. I've been printed every time I appy (4 times) in Hammond, and once in Merrillville. On applying for the first permit, the police chief gave us a talk which included coming to an officers aid if necessary. What is L1?

Get your lifetime LTCH. Once and done.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    My situation was as follows:

Reside in Marion county.
    Applying for LTCH for 1st time online.
    Set appointment with L1.
    Fingerprinted at L1. Paid state fee.
    Went to City County Building where I was fingerprinted again, and paid local fee.
    Waited 7 days.
    1st carry to Fedex/Kinko for laminating.
    Total time was 2 weeks because I had to cover 2 weeks for money.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I just recently applied online. There is a huge advantage to applying online! The process goes as follows.
    1. Fill out your application online and pay you state fee of $75 for lifetime +$10.95 extra for online fee (definately worth the extra money).
    2. Schedule an appointment with an L1 fingerprint site.
    3. Go to your appointment and get fingerprinted.
    4. Take the confirmation sheet that L1 gives you to your local PD station to pay your local fee.
    -As for your question of what happens at the local PD. It seems like it depends on what your local PD makes you do. I myself didn't have to do fingerprints at Highland's Police Department. All I had to do was go over my online app to make sure all my info was correct and gave them their $50 for local fee.

Then they took me downstairs to take pictures for their records.

And then I had to have a quick 2minute interview with chief of police and all he asks is "Why do you want your LTCH". Thats it. I got my permit within a weeks time! It's definately worth applying online.

You can also pay your state fee at L1, I did this.

All I had to do was go over the info on my app to make sure it was correct.

WHAT???? Your local P.D. took your picture ?? I don't see any reason for this. There's no picture requirement on the LTCH

Top Bottom