• matt4shadow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Hobart
    I have gone to Willow Slough at least ten times and have:
    Calls:
    Used a lower end electric call using several factory loaded sounds (Jackrabbit, Cottontail, Hurt pup). I also have used my mp3 player hooked up to a speaker amp combo. Used 20 min sequence downloaded off the internet. Also a hand caller (Rabbit distress)
    Situation:
    I go early morning before the sun is up. Gives me plenty of time to get setup and wait 30 min before I call. I setup with the wind in my face.
    I spray all clothing with odor control scent free. I stay very still and only move my head from side to side very slowly.
    Area: Willow Slough Area 2 large open fields with water ditches surrounding it.

Still nothing. Never even seen one. What gives.. At least I get to see beautiful sunrises.:dunno:

HD_darla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    I'm not an expert but I've always had better luck as it gets closer to dark. No idea why, maybe most will have different stories but thats when I go. Might work for you.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Don't feel like the lone ranger. Sometimes they can be very hard to get. You may be calling too loud. You need to start out soft to begin with. They also may be coming in without you seeing them. They like to sneek in using every bit of cover, then circle around until they're down wind of the call just to be sure. The only critters that come running in are young and dumb.
    My son and I did call in two humans when we went last year.. They heard the dying rabbit call and wondered what poor creature was being tortured. It was funny but taught me to be carefull.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I only hunt them at night. Wabbit call, low volume, quality CD player, red lens Maglight flashlight on .222 rem 788, DOWN wind sight windows seems best to me. I don't worry about smells. Yotes have got comfortable around the human environment. Nasty critters so I use rope to haul them out

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Keep after it. It will happen. If you are calling in crows and hawks then you are doing something right.
    Its hit or miss for me. I usually like setting up in thick stuff in the daytime with a Mossy 835 with 3.5" #6 turkey loads.

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    they are not havin pups. breeding season isnt until late february. Dont take em long to get educated if you have others calling. Night time produces best. look for em to circle downwind. They respond best when the temps bottom out and food is scarce

matt4shadow

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Hobart
    Keep after it. It will happen. If you are calling in crows and hawks then you are doing something right.
    Its hit or miss for me. I usually like setting up in thick stuff in the daytime with a Mossy 835 with 3.5" #6 turkey loads.

I do hear crows more often than not, but their not in season.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    I think they might be laying their pups... I am no expert but I have been told this from family members who trap alot....

What?? are you for real? Why would you post if you have absolutely any idea what you are talking about?
    This is exactly how people get the wrong info :dunno::dunno:

NO THEY ARE NO HAVING PUPS AT THIS TIME:rolleyes:

Whackmaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Matt,
    I have hunted there the last couple years. We will be traveling there soon. We have had the best luck through out the night and this time of year the best luck has been with limited coyote vocals and using some distress calls. There seems to be alot of territorial yote's over there. at least last year there were. we had to stay pretty mobile to connect with them as they would hang up alot. Hope this helps!

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I have to agree that just before, during, and after sunset..... is better hunting for yotes. That's really when they start moving, to feed.

Also, forget calling when there is a stiff, cold westerly wind. Too many small mammals, like the rabbits, etc... stay snuggled up somewhere (immobile), and as a result the yotes seem to move along faster, attempting to find the smaller prey like mice and moles.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Just a suggestion, don't wait 30 min to start calling. Quietly slip into your stand and begin calling. Waiting just lets your scent flow all around you. Also, try calling from the edge's of woods with open field to your down wind. They are way too secure in the woods to come out in the field, not that they won't come to the field but they are much more secure in the woods. Hope this helps.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I dont feel so alone now. I have never had any luck calling coyotes. In fact the only time it seems I see them is bow season and of course I am always without a rifle. A lot of this info will help myself as well.

witdog2020

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Muncie
    they are not havin pups. breeding season isnt until late february. Dont take em long to get educated if you have others calling. Night time produces best. look for em to circle downwind. They respond best when the temps bottom out and food is scarce

I'm in agreement on the educated yotes! You ever heard of the 20 hunters that cried Wabbits on public ground? Its tough to call Yotes on Public ground. Try some private ground in the evening. I see a lot of Yotes deer hunting, and they seem to bed a lot near fence rows and in the middle of fields in the morning after running all nite.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I thought they had pups in April May? Where exactly do they spend there time then? Where do they have there pups? I went out with a friend last year for them, all it turned out to be was a midnight toga party. He really had my hopes up too.

Top Bottom