• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    When asked why I carry at home, I've often replied "but I LIKE my guns, why wouldn't I want one with me? (and why wouldn't YOU want with you...hater?)"
    But preaching to the choir, violence is a "ready-or-not..." thing. "Wait a minute while I go get my gun" doesn't cut it.

Kudos, all, on the vigilance

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    OP described almost the exact situation I encountered a few years ago. My husband left to go to the hardware store and seconds later I heard tires on the gravel in the driveway. I could tell by the sound it was not his truck. I also could hear the driveway alarm going off so I was sure someone was coming up. Two guys in a beat up black Dodge truck with rusty freezers in the back (not plugged in) who wanted to sell me beef. I usually carry my .38 around the yard, but had my .45 on that day. I OC in the yard so when my hand was resting on the grip, the passenger became quite aware and urged his buddy to stop exiting the vehicle and get it going. The driver initially was trying to convince me to buy his product. I assured him I had no need for it and he should leave. He then started to get out of the truck...that's when his partner said, "Dude, she has a gun", and he got back in and they left.

I have two alarms in the driveway. Your yard/driveway sounds much like ours. Secluded in the woods. If one alarm sounds and the second does not, it is usually a critter crossing so I don't get too concerned. If both alarms go off one after the other, I know someone is coming up the drive. The two alarm system (cheap on Amazon and battery operated) eliminates me running every time a deer or turkey or cat triggers it.

I also have two trail cameras. One catches license plates as they come up the drive...the other as they are leaving. Sometimes one camera will not catch the vehicle if it is moving fast so the second camera is a good backup.

I'm not paranoid. I'm prepared. :):

Why didn't I think of 2? That's genius. I've got almost a quarter mile on my camp spot drive. Couldn't tell you how many times I've gotten up for a single non event alarm.
    *KICKS SELF IN ASS*

Off to amazon now for a 2nd.

308jake

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I always answer the door with the storm door locked and a pistol in my hand. We've had "salesmen" try to force their way in before. Now not so much.

Glad you and the pup were vigilant and that you're all safe.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Why didn't I think of 2? That's genius. I've got almost a quarter mile on my camp spot drive. Couldn't tell you how many times I've gotten up for a single non event alarm.
    *KICKS SELF IN ASS*

Off to amazon now for a 2nd.

We initially had one sensor on the driveway and it drove me nuts checking to see what was setting it off. Two in a row works great. I hear the two beeps and know it is the first one...when I hear the three beeps, I know the next one is also being triggered. It gives me time to look out the window or greet the person at the door, and they have no idea how I knew they were there. The cameras are not easily seen even to those who know we have them.

The two alarm system is also good if the batteries happen to go dead in one. We still have the second one to alert us.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Seems like a job well done. Been in those situations as well, which is why I really resent having to not have my guns on me at times.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The thin Blue Line is very thin indeed, and the more in the boonies you live the more on your own you are. Have the gun with you and know how to use it effectively.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I hope your wrong. The flip side is, there are 4 houses on my 3 mile road. My sister, my father, me, and our 80 year old considered family neighbor. If they decide to come to someones house on our road, Im thankful it was mine.

I personally dont think they will be back to my place. These dudes had that look on their face that said "this is where rednecks come from". I think they will find a softer target next round, I just hope its not in my area.

I think you handled it perfectly and so did your DOGS! On our country road there have been several break-ins over the years and accounts like yours are getting all too common. So far, we've been lucky and maybe that is because of our very visible large dogs; German Sheperds and very protective Labs. We've had no-marking vehicles appear in our driveway as well over the years. In the past year, I started carrying when at home as well and have even got my wife to carry more. You just never know when evil might appear on your doorstep. Good job, stay frosty, and hope you chased them away from your family members as well. Scary situation for sure!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    The thin Blue Line is very thin indeed, and the more in the boonies you live the more on your own you are. Have the gun with you and know how to use it effectively.

In Union county we have 1 LEO on duty at all times. I live on the far north east side of union county, and its a a 45 minute drive from north east side to south west side.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A lot of well intentioned folks think that just having the gun is all that is necessary. While seeing the gun may scare off some threats, we need to be prepared for that not to happen. Can we put effective rounds on multiple moving threats while under severe stress?

In Union county we have 1 LEO on duty at all times. I live on the far north east side of union county, and its a a 45 minute drive from north east side to south west side.
    Most rural counties in Indiana are the same. Even when there are more officers available from other agencies, all it takes is another policing event or two in the county at the same time for response time to turn to lethal.

Top Bottom