• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    My carry gun is never further than arms reach. At night it is on the nightstand and when I get up it is in my holster till I go to bed. It's just part of getting dressed for the day.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    But I'm NOT paranoid. I just don't trust anyone.

and a thought - which I've seen in a meme once or twice: (paraphrased as best as I recall)

If you go through life thinking nothing bad could ever happen to you - you are naive
    If you go through life expecting something bad will happen to you - you are paranoid
    If you go through life aware of the fact something bad could happen to you - and have a plan for it - you are prepared.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Alan I'm happy you were prepared and everyone is okay. I've been to your place a couple of times and I agree with what has been said above, you don't stumble up on it.

We live in a similar set up. Can't see any neighbors they can't see us. Last year my wife had a similar experience. I was already at work and she was still asleep. She thought she heard a knocking from our walkout basement door( which can't be seen from the road). She dismissed it until our Shepard starting going crazy, she checked the window to see a truck we don't know and two men with breaker bars breaking the locks off my garage doors and still hears something happening at the basement. She followed our plan perfectly. Retrieved our home defense glock, Locked our son in his room, called 911 on speaker and set the phone down, let the Shepard down the basement steps and set up in the house at a spot where no matter where the come in from they have to step in the same place to get to her or our son. She repeated a simple warning until she heard them leave. They never got in the house, and couldn't find anything missing in the garage. I drive 30 minutes to work but beat the cops there, which is why I make her rehearse this set by by on regular bases. She use to roll her eyes when I would throw a senario at her, but not anymore.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I feel its important to make this post. Dont agree with how I handled it thats fine, and I dont care.

Im 37 years old. Almost without exception I have open carried something (for the last few years a Glock 30 in a kydex) every day from wake up until bed for 19 of those years. In all my time doing this today is the first time Ive ever been extremely happy it was on my hip.

Today around 4pm I was working in my back yard. A white van pulls up the drive with no markings what so ever. I had a couple guys working on a pool, and I ask if the van was with them, and they said no.

Some of you have been to my place, most have not. I live in the boonies to say the least. You really don't come here unless you mean to. I walk around the corner, and there is a late 20's mexican (not being a racist bastard here) getting out of the van from the passengers side. He had full sleeve tattoo's (not being judgmental, I have some to) as well as a neck covered in tats. Driver never gets out, but has neck tats as well. My wife has the good sense to let the rottweiler, and German Shepard out of the house (the pit was hiding under the bed). The Shepard stands at the front door growling, and the Rot is pretty well pissed and ready to go to war. I think she could sense I was a little on edge, and did exactly what I wanted her to do. I walk up and say "can I help you boys?" and the guy who got out started getting real jittery, and stuttering his words, looking at his buddy, etc. My rot is standing on my left growling. He starts saying thy are lost, and looking for x address (which is not even fiscally possible the way we do our addressing system in Indiana). I inform them thats not possible, and his buddy starts fidgeting in the van. I open carry, so there is no "uncover your gun" I just pulled my hand to my grip and kind of leaned on the gun. Eventually they left, I got some licence plate, and description, and called to report it.

I will say this, I practice with a gun more than most. I can tell you for a fact that I did not regret 1 round of that practice walking towards the van. I actually regretted I had not shot my gun in the last 5 days.

The moral of the story is, you may think its overkill to carry while cutting the grass, watching TV, ETC. But from personal experience as of today, Im glad I am vigilant about carrying every where I go.

Yours is a story that illustrates the evil that stalks the innocent, and why we ought to be armed, and prepared at all times, to defend ourselves, and those we love. God bless and keep you and yours.

Minifire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2017
    USA
    I think every person should just evaluate risks and figure out the optimal situations and time when it's better to wear a gun. Always - is too much for me. It depends on your lifestyle and many other factors.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have not read these 5 pages...but Because I Can. Stay the F out D Bags.

I don't necessarily carry at home so much as stage at home...right here...within reach. Bring it.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Yes, we carry at home, or car, or wherever. (Wifey has a LTCH, as well as me). For all the above scenarios, you do need to prep. Hers is a 442 S&W, mine is a G19, or a G21. Even keep a 1911A1 handy, all with spare mags. Cell phones, Tactical Flashlights, are normal on hand too. Can't be over prepped IMHO. Its your life on the line when it happens. Be ahead of the curve, stand ready, and deploy if needed. Good luck.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I think you did the right thing. I'm not sure I would have done anything different. Hopefully they won't come back. I do like the idea of driveway alarms and cameras, especially cameras that have good clarity. Which I think most of them do these days.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    It doesn't matter if you live in the city or the boonies when the time comes that you need lethal force you don't want it in the next room under the mattress. Carry everywhere you breathe, or you may not breathe anymore.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Same here. We live on an off-set road, not a main country road. If someone is on our road its usually a neighbor, local farmer or folks going to the church down the road. OWB kydex on the weekends. Long driveway so if someone pulls in they should be legit. Cams watching driveway and all doors will email me on motion.

Top Bottom