Why do CZs seem to rule USPSA Production matches?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You get a P01 or a PCR. you get the reach reduction kit, a short reset trigger, 11.5# mainspring with extended firing pin and ultra light trigger return spring. Add a race hammer and 85 combat adjustable trigger. Do a little polishing and you would have a peach. With the extra bit of weight in the nose the short reset trigger make that thing like a hose. I've seen you shoot. After a week you would be sleeping with it. ;)

Or, another 9mm 1911. HAH!

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I have just recently started playing with cz products and now I have 2 rifles and two pistols. The pistols are an sp01 converted to Sao and a 75 shadow SA. I have always been a defender of my 1911 type guns because I shot them better than glock a sigs and Beretta but after some training on a wet nasty day this past weekend with some witnesses and gopro footage it appears that I do shoot my cz pistols as well as if not better than my beloved 1911. So I can see why they are consistently in the hands of winning shooters.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The CZ's and Tanfo's are awesome production guns. I have had the pleasure of holding and dry firing Rob377's Tanfo Stock 2 Unicorn. They are as heavy as a 1911. Chambered in 9mm. There is a reason they are becoming so popular. I shoot a CZ 75 Tactical Sport in 40cal in Limited Division. Took a while to get used to the trigger since I only own 1911's but I couldn't be more happier with my CZ.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    All kidding aside, it's simple:

Heavy steel guns with good triggers are easier to shoot quickly and accurately than light plastic guns with crappy triggers.

Yepper, the CZ has the fortunate position of currently being the closest reasonably-priced gun you can get to a 9mm 1911 in Prod. division, and because so many folks have practically grown up with Glock, the mysterious high-cap Czech import with its steel frame and non-Tupperware trigger seems like magic to them, in any situation where your marksmanship actually gets measured.

In a parallel universe where Single Stack Division had never been invented, and the 9mm 1911 were Production legal...I suspect this CZ fuss would scarcely exist.

But boy - do I wish I could fire up the DeLorean and go get back the $360 one that I bought in 1991 or so...:ugh:

Last edited:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    The CZ's and Tanfo's are awesome production guns. I have had the pleasure of holding and dry firing Rob377's Tanfo Stock 2 Unicorn. They are as heavy as a 1911. Chambered in 9mm. There is a reason they are becoming so popular. I shoot a CZ 75 Tactical Sport in 40cal in Limited Division. Took a while to get used to the trigger since I only own 1911's but I couldn't be more happier with my CZ.

Heavier. The unicorn weighs in at 45 ounces. :D

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I wonder if it will become the carry gun of choice. It the CZ can kick Glock out of its place in competition will it soon displace Glock in carry and Law Enforcement circles. If it can shoot fast and accurately why wouldn't it? It is better that a 9mm 1911 because of magazine capacity. Sounds to me like then need a marketing blitz.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I wonder if it will become the carry gun of choice. It the CZ can kick Glock out of its place in competition will it soon displace Glock in carry and Law Enforcement circles. If it can shoot fast and accurately why wouldn't it? It is better that a 9mm 1911 because of magazine capacity. Sounds to me like then need a marketing blitz.

Because 9x.x% of CCW holders don't give a hoot about how easy the gun is to shoot quickly and accurately (the things you need a carry gun to do more than anything), but rather how light it is because their dainty frames couldn't possibly stand to carry a few more ounces.

"Combat" accurate minute of static target man at 20ft slow fire and they're happy.

Won't win over cop shops because $$$. Glock gives the purchasing agents a good time that may or may not have included hookers and blow at some point, and guns that are damn near free. Even with cheap former comm bloc labor, a steel gun can't compete with that.

not only that, but both of these constituencies are not exactly likely to put in the work to master a DA/SA gun, on average. Competition guys will. And that's OK, nothing wrong with that. For those folks a Glock may be a better choice.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Because 9x.x% of CCW holders don't give a hoot about how easy the gun is to shoot quickly and accurately (the things you need a carry gun to do more than anything), but rather how light it is because their dainty frames couldn't possibly stand to carry a few more ounces.

"Combat" accurate minute of static target man at 20ft slow fire and they're happy.

Won't win over cop shops because $$$. Glock gives the purchasing agents a good time that may or may not have included hookers and blow at some point, and guns that are damn near free. Even with cheap former comm bloc labor, a steel gun can't compete with that.

not only that, but both of these constituencies are not exactly likely to put in the work to master a DA/SA gun, on average. Competition guys will. And that's OK, nothing wrong with that. For those folks a Glock may be a better choice.

10 years ago it seemed like Glock owned Production and always would. Now that is changing because a better product is being offered. Glock has the LE market right now, but that may also change.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Because 9x.x% of CCW holders don't give a hoot about how easy the gun is to shoot quickly and accurately (the things you need a carry gun to do more than anything), but rather how light it is because their dainty frames couldn't possibly stand to carry a few more ounces...

"But that's wrong 'cuz you can't shoot a gun that you left at home..."...lol.

Last edited:

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I asked this originally because I have been craving an M&P9L Pro to go with my FS and Compact. I don't see myself becoming uber competitive in the next few years, but I don't want to buy a gun only to find I won't even be on the same playing field as others. With this being something I can see myself doing for years (I'm only 23 now), I don't want to become accustomed to something that will limit how I perform, only to have to "relearn" everything if I decide to get the high dollar gun. Sounds like I will make all the difference in how I shoot, not the gun.
    Used Smith & Wesson M&P 9L 9mm 3 mags NS $429.00 SHIPS FREE

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay, I just decided admit that this Glock thing isn't working for me. Looks like I need to go shopping.

Aw, I just got a holster I really like. Changed my mind again.

Friction

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Terre Haute
    Keep in mind there are firing pin block and non firing pin block versions of the CZ. The firing pin block models, that most closely match the Glock WRT function and safety, are NOT the gun the majority of people are using to compete with.

This is a very solid tutorial on tuning a CZ. This thread and some of the links contained within it explain the procedures required to clean up a factory gun.
    CZ Tuning 101 with Professor Atlas - CZ - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yes the CZ of choice is the CZ SP01 Shadow without firing pin block.
    Besides the trigger you can get out of them you also have an up swept beavertail compared to the beavertail on the CZ 75, you have a full length dust cover for added weight and the competition model has extended thumb safeties and mag release

Comparing a CZ SP01 Shadow to a store bought CZ 75 is a huge difference
    The guns coming out of the custom shop are just that custom shop guns.

Top Bottom