• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    1911's are like a hott ex-girlfriend; expensive, high maintainence, sexy, but fail to work when you need them to! They are sexy and nice to look at, but that's about it.

I have seen the "high maintenance" thing a lot about 1911s. I don't get it. What constitutes high maintenance? I also hear that 1911s require work and do not operate "out of the box". WTF? I couldn't mess up a GI issue 1911 if I tried. I guess for some people taking an oily rag and wiping down your gun once a week constitutes "high maintenance". A 1911 is a gun persons gun. They are for people who actually like guns and don't mind spending time with them. For all others plastic is fantastic.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I have seen the "high maintenance" thing a lot about 1911s. I don't get it. What constitutes high maintenance? I also hear that 1911s require work and do not operate "out of the box". WTF? I couldn't mess up a GI issue 1911 if I tried. I guess for some people taking an oily rag and wiping down your gun once a week constitutes "high maintenance". A 1911 is a gun persons gun. They are for people who actually like guns and don't mind spending time with them. For all others plastic is fantastic.

Heck, I dont even conduct maintenance on my 1911 that often and still runs like a top. But I think some people compare it to their idea of what a revolver does (which they still need to be cleaned, TRUST ME ON THAT) or based off of firearms that were made in the last decade. Even so, I have some of the new wonder pistols, and i conduct the same maintenance on them all, every time i shoot them. Its that easy, shoot, clean, get ready for the next shoot. Don't see how thats high maintenance either, guess most people want to put things away dirty and just hope that they still work better dirty then clean. Lets hope they never join the military, or they will find out a LOT about cleaning, haha

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you put the stories about the 1911 in perspective it would not be dissimilar from (again) the rep that Harley's had. The old ones leaked and had issues. Well, yes they did if you ran the crap out of them and did little or no maintenance. Same with the older 1911's. They had needs and if you did not attend to those needs you had issues.
    It took years for Harley to overcome the "Stories" and get back on track. Same with the 1911. My uncles had some of the same stories about Army issue Colts that were totally worn out being issued to the troops. This is where a lot of this came from and it is now "Urban" legend. As stated, I have the 1911 my uncle carried through Korea and the Nam.
    He taught me to shoot with this same piece. It has a lot of miles on it, literally. It is loose and clunky compared to my "New" pieces but I can pull it out, load it and go shoot it with no worry's. I have not done anything to it but clean and oil it. Not sure if the springs have ever been replaced. You can not top that....ever.

CCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    I'm new here but thought I would share yet another opinion. As someone who owns a business that builds custom 1911s/2011s for competition/carry, and someone that sees about every make and model of 1911 come across the bench for upgrades and or problems. I can say that the success of the platform goes beyond cosmetics or the venerable history (although I'm sure those attributes are responsible for a ton of sales every year).

IMO, another big reason for it's success is largely the interface. It is simply easier to shoot a 1911 faster with more accuracy than others. Yes, you can do trigger jobs on the plastic guns, but what those trigger jobs are trying to achieve is something that the 1911 already does. It is not a coincidence that the 1911/2011 dominates in action pistol sports. When built right they run like scalded dogs, and not only is the trigger great but it can be tuned to the shooter. That's a huge deal among top shooters.

As to the reliability issue - You simply cannot blame a platform for being unreliable because they are built wrong and released to the public with problems. I have NEVER had a factory gun come across my bench with a problem that didn't stem from something being out of spec or just plan wrong. If you had dozens of companies building glocks (or whatever) and many of them ignoring the specs or "improving the design", or just not putting in the work to make sure they were right, many would have the same perception of that platform.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    As to the reliability issue - You simply cannot blame a platform for being unreliable because they are built wrong and released to the public with problems. I have NEVER had a factory gun come across my bench with a problem that didn't stem from something being out of spec or just plan wrong. If you had dozens of companies building glocks (or whatever) and many of them ignoring the specs or "improving the design", or just not putting in the work to make sure they were right, many would have the same perception of that platform.

I agree.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm new here but thought I would share yet another opinion. As someone who owns a business that builds custom 1911s/2011s for competition/carry, and someone that sees about every make and model of 1911 come across the bench for upgrades and or problems. I can say that the success of the platform goes beyond cosmetics or the venerable history (although I'm sure those attributes are responsible for a ton of sales every year).

IMO, another big reason for it's success is largely the interface. It is simply easier to shoot a 1911 faster with more accuracy than others. Yes, you can do trigger jobs on the plastic guns, but what those trigger jobs are trying to achieve is something that the 1911 already does. It is not a coincidence that the 1911/2011 dominates in action pistol sports. When built right they run like scalded dogs, and not only is the trigger great but it can be tuned to the shooter. That's a huge deal among top shooters.

Well stated. There is the whole story in your post.
    This platform just fits me and my style of shooting....Rock Ape Rapid Fire...:rockwoot:

Edit....welcome to ingo

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

Nice post. Welcome to INGO!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am going to pick up Churchmouse's thought and run with it. I once worked with a man who had been in the army shortly before the adoption of the Beretta who told me about having been issued a 1911 that lived up to the horror stories, particularly about accuracy. Funny thing, he managed to get a new barrel and bushing, and all of a sudden it got really accurate. Strange how having a barrel so worn that you can chamber a round, point it approximately down, smack the back of the gun, and then watch the entire cartridge come out the end of the barrel will adversely affect accuracy and contribute to a most pernicious myth about a truly excellent weapon.

I would also like to extend my welcome to CCF. Having that much EARNED rep (silver already with no visits to the rep/cheat pyramid!) in 19 posts speaks volumes!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Why does everyone love 1911s so much?

1911mags-1.jpg

neverenough83

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    For me the looks of a 1911 are just outstanding something to show off and be proud. There is also the American heritage and over 100 years that really has something to say.

Top Bottom