• ...and so much more!
  • GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Glocks dont need safety levers?
    Just what is that Dingus on the bottom of the trigger for?
    I don't consider that a safety. It's certainly not a safety lever. I could remove the dingus and have no fear of accidentally shooting my gun because I don't touch the trigger until ready to fire. I meant thumb safety, magazine safety, etc.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I don't consider that a safety. It's certainly not a safety lever. I could remove the dingus and have no fear of accidentally shooting my gun because I don't touch the trigger until ready to fire. I meant thumb safety, magazine safety, etc.
    You glock lovers are too much, seems old Gaston himself doesn't agree with Skip and you.
    Your glock has three mechanical safety's.
    You remove the Dingus like you posted, and you just locked the firing pin safety in the safe mode.
    Not much fear of it firing after you've done that.

https://us.glock.com/en/learn/glock-pistols/safe-action-system

SafeAction-famousfour-Sketch4.jpg

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    It is A safety, Glock even says it is BUT, you can disable it and the pistol will still fire. The other two parts of the safe action still work fine. I wouldn’t disable it, but, that’s just me. You do as you want.:cool::cool:

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    This video shows how the action works. You can see the ONLY thing the lever on the trigger safety really does is keep the trigger from moving back when dropped.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Over the past 20 or so years, I've had 3 different generations of Glock 19s. Just last year, I got a Gen 5 MOS. Partly because I wanted to try out RDS and my hammer-fired pistols are not optic-friendly. My main reason is that I think it is wise to have a few Glocks in case of gun limits/gun bans or even shift-type situations. You can always find Glock parts, magazines etc to stay armed.
    Seems like a familiar conversation… :cheers:
    Glock are a true working mans pistol. Parts are everywhere and with a Glock, the 1 is none 2 is one rule is easy to achieve.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    It is A safety, Glock even says it is BUT, you can disable it and the pistol will still fire. The other two parts of the safe action still work fine. I wouldn’t disable it, but, that’s just me. You do as you want.:cool::cool:
    When I said Glock proved there was no need for a safety, I meant thumb safety. I didn't mean the trigger safety because you don't deactivate it so you can pull the trigger. It deactivates as a result of pulling the trigger. The firing pin block is also a safety feature, but I would not call it a safety because you don't actuate it in order to fire the gun. It is deactivated as a result of firing the gun. The grip safety on a 1911 or Springfield XD is also something I would not refer to as a safety because you don't actuate it in order to fire. Holding the gun deactivates it. The thumb safety on a 1911 is what I would call a safety because it has to be flipped off in order to fire. Grip safety is the name of the part on the 1911 and that's the only reason I call that one thing a safety. Before Glock, most handguns had safety levers. Revolvers didn't have safeties. They had safety features like a long, heavy trigger pull and a firing pin block. Anyone that asked where is the safety when you hand them a revolver was told it's a revolver. It doesn't have a safety.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    You glock lovers are too much, seems old Gaston himself doesn't agree with Skip and you.
    Your glock has three mechanical safety's.
    You remove the Dingus like you posted, and you just locked the firing pin safety in the safe mode.
    Not much fear of it firing after you've done that.

https://us.glock.com/en/learn/glock-pistols/safe-action-system

View attachment 324544
    I think you misunderstand. I didn't say I will, have, or plan to remove the trigger safety on a Glock. I said I could because I am so practiced at not touching the trigger until I'm ready to fire, that I would not fear the gun going off accidentally from my handling it. The Glock will fire just fine without the trigger dingus on it though. That part doesn't do anything other than prevent the trigger from being pulled. When I said "safety", I mean a lever or button that you turn on or off before you fire the gun. Glocks, like revolvers have safety devices, but they do not have on/off safeties. There is no practicing flipping off the thumb safety as part of your draw, then fire practice. There is no muscle memory to be built to make sure you have disengaged the safety before firing the gun.

It used to be taught that you have your finger in the trigger guard and on the trigger when the gun is drawn & you're on alert, even if you're not firing the gun. When police departments switched from heavy and long trigger pull revolvers to the Glock, there were lots of accidental discharges by police, sometimes killing a person the cop did not intend to shoot because cops were used to it taking a lot of deliberate pressure from the trigger finger in order to make the revolver fire. That's not the case with a Glock. A Beretta 92 has a safety that it turned on or off. A 1911 has a safety that you can turn on or off. A Glock does not.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    This video shows how the action works. You can see the ONLY thing the lever on the trigger safety really does is keep the trigger from moving back when dropped.

What I posted was from glocks website.

So why does the manufacture call the fire control a three safety system?

Trigger Safety

The trigger safety is the first safety in the firing sequence. It’s incorporated into the trigger in the form of a lever and when it is engaged blocks the trigger from moving rearward. To fire the pistol, the trigger safety and the trigger itself must be deliberately depressed at the same time. If the trigger safety is not depressed, the trigger will not move rearwards and allow the pistol to fire.
    The trigger safety is designed to prevent the pistol from firing if it’s dropped or if the trigger is subjected to any pressure that isn’t a direct firing pull.
    WARNING: If the trigger is in the forward position the pistol may be loaded.

Firing Pin Safety

The second safety, the firing pin safety, mechanically blocks the firing pin from moving forward in the ready-to-fire condition. As the trigger is pulled rearward, the trigger bar pushes the firing pin safety up and frees the firing pin channel. If you decide not to fire and release the trigger, the firing pin safety automatically reengages.

Drop Safety

The final safety involves the trigger bar, which rests on the safety ramp within the trigger mechanism housing. The trigger bar engages the rear portion of the firing pin and prevents the firing pin from moving forward. As the trigger is pulled rearward the trigger bar lowers down the safety ramp and allows the release of the firing pin. After firing, the trigger bar moves upward and re-engages the firing pin. As the trigger is released, all safeties automatically reengage.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I think you misunderstand. I didn't say I will, have, or plan to remove the trigger safety on a Glock. I said I could because I am so practiced at not touching the trigger until I'm ready to fire, that I would not fear the gun going off accidentally from my handling it. The Glock will fire just fine without the trigger dingus on it though. That part doesn't do anything other than prevent the trigger from being pulled. When I said "safety", I mean a lever or button that you turn on or off before you fire the gun. Glocks, like revolvers have safety devices, but they do not have on/off safeties. There is no practicing flipping off the thumb safety as part of your draw, then fire practice. There is no muscle memory to be built to make sure you have disengaged the safety before firing the gun.

It used to be taught that you have your finger in the trigger guard and on the trigger when the gun is drawn & you're on alert, even if you're not firing the gun. When police departments switched from heavy and long trigger pull revolvers to the Glock, there were lots of accidental discharges by police, sometimes killing a person the cop did not intend to shoot because cops were used to it taking a lot of deliberate pressure from the trigger finger in order to make the revolver fire. That's not the case with a Glock. A Beretta 92 has a safety that it turned on or off. A 1911 has a safety that you can turn on or off. A Glock does not.
    You don't understand that if you remove the trigger dingus the pistol stays locked with the firing pin being blocked in the Safe position. That dingus is no different in operation than a lever on the side of a pistol. In the safe position it blocks the firing pin from moving.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    You don't understand that if you remove the trigger dingus the pistol stays locked with the firing pin being blocked in the Safe position. That dingus is no different in operation than a lever on the side of a pistol. In the safe position it blocks the firing pin from moving.
    The 'dingus' moves when you pull the trigger. It's not an additional, separate safety that needs to be turned off...

It is completely different than a pistol with a manual safety. You can pull out a Glock and shoot it, without the need to turn off a safety...

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The 'dingus' moves when you pull the trigger. It's not an additional, separate safety that needs to be turned off...
    Nope, the dingus moves Before the trigger moves.
    You guys need to read glocks own website.

Posted above

Trigger Safety

The trigger safety is the first safety in the firing sequence. It’s incorporated into the trigger in the form of a lever and when it is engaged blocks the trigger from moving rearward. To fire the pistol, the trigger safety and the trigger itself must be deliberately depressed at the same time. If the trigger safety is not depressed, the trigger will not move rearwards and allow the pistol to fire.
    The trigger safety is designed to prevent the pistol from firing if it’s dropped or if the trigger is subjected to any pressure that isn’t a direct firing pull.

WARNING: If the trigger is in the forward position the pistol may be loaded.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I own plenty of pistols with that style trigger. It's one damn motion @Creedmoor , it's not a manual safety.

Give it a rest on your technicalities. Enjoy your manual safety's, I'll trust my trigger safety and keeping my finger off the trigger...
    I own glocks. If it's not a manual safety, just push of the side of the trigger and see for yourself that you ain't firing that pistol.
    Then push the dingus and then see if it fires. It's a manual safety that has to be engaged before the trigger can fire.
    It's funny that a few here are so locked in the paradigm that glocks don't have manual safety. Even when glock says they do.
    It's even in the name, glock safe action pistol.

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    What I posted was from glocks website.

So why does the manufacture call the fire control a three safety system?

Trigger Safety

The "dingus" hits the frame, behind the trigger, preventing the trigger from being pulled if the dingus is not pulled. The dingus doesn't do anything else. A Glock will fire if you remove the dingus or sand the back of it off or put a hole in the frame where the back of the dingus hits it.

The dingus has almost no weight to it and has a pivot pin separate from the pivot pin for the trigger bar. The back of the dingus (from the dingus pivot pin to the rear of the dingus) is heavier than the front of the dingus (from the dingus pivot pin to the front of the dingus). So if the gun is dropped onto the back of the slide, inertia will try to engage the dingus trigger safety, not disengage it.

Since the dingus has almost no weight to it, it would take a ton of inertia to move it at all. Especially since there is also a spring trying to keep the trigger safety (dingus) engaged. Essentially the trigger safety is a drop safety. Not a manual safety. Part of what Glock puts on it's website is marketing. Glock's marketing also points out that there is no manual safety to confuse the cop or person defending themselves to fumble with. The 3 safeties Glock touts on their website are safety devices, but they are all drop safeties. Not manual safeties that can be left on or off.

Last edited:

Relax_36

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 23, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I think Glocks are good looking guns. Not pretty, but cool looking. Glocks are easy to carry. There are no snag parts sticking out on them. The controls don't cut my fingers. I think Glock was pivotal in showing pistols don't need safety levers, which did a good job in training the masses to keep their finger off the trigger. The gen 3 finish was fantastic. Mine still looks new whereas my G43 slide finish wore off. My favorite pistol sights are the Glock factory U shaped rear sight. I still don't know why people don't like them? Glocks are affordable, reliable & accurate. When it comes down to it, that's all that matters for a combat gun.
    I love my ole Gen3 G19, kind of for the same reasons I love my ole 97 Chevy Blazer I reckon. They're both totally devoid of any real sex appeal or "exoctic-ness" compared to their modern day equivalents, which oddly enough is where all of the appeal (for me) comes in. They've both been rugged, dependable, utilitarian troopers that just keep on keepin' on.

Whenever I shoot the Gen3 19 side-by-side with just about anything else modern and comparable (plastic striker-fired semis from Sig, S&W, Canik, etc) it feels sloppy and loose and cumbersome and lazy, yet it ALWAYS shoots anything and everything I load it up with, everytime. And it's accuracy has never wavered (only MY accuracy on any given day is what wavers haha). No matter what it feels like when I shoot it, the end result always demonstrates that feelings =/= facts. There's a lot of appeal in something I've just never had to question, as far as reliabilty and accuracy goes. My Blazer drives the same way the Gen3 shoots, which is probably why I've come to love it, too. Parts for both are still available in abundance, they're cheap, and they're everywhere. They're both easy as hell to work on. The older they get, the more I find myself wanting to keep them around. The Gen3 is the only plastic gun I've never been able to bring myself to even consider selling, same goes for the Blazer.

Oh, and I do really like that frying pan finish on the G19, durable as hell and distinctive looking, just like the original metallic forest green paint on the ole Blazer.

Last edited:

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I own glocks. If it's not a manual safety, just push of the side of the trigger and see for yourself that you ain't firing that pistol.
    Then push the dingus and then see if it fires. It's a manual safety that has to be engaged before the trigger can fire.
    It's funny that a few here are so locked in the paradigm that glocks don't have manual safety. Even when glock says they do.
    It's even in the name, glock safe action pistol.
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Remove the dingus from any of your Glocks, then try to fire it. It will fire. If you're holding a 1911, it's loaded, it's pointed downrange, you're about to fire. Then someone asks you, "Did you remember to turn off the grip safety?" You're going to look at that person like they're stupid. Because you don't turn the grip safety on or off. Grabbing the gun automatically turns it off. Pulling the trigger automatically moves the dingus out of the way of the frame.

Glock safe action pistol is marketing. Like Glock Perfection is marketing. Glock says Glocks are perfection, but they're not perfection.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The "dingus" hits the frame, behind the trigger, preventing the trigger from being pulled if the dingus is not pulled. The dingus doesn't do anything else. A Glock will fire if you remove the dingus or sand the back of it off or put a hole in the frame where the back of the dingus hits it.

The dingus has almost no weight to it and has a pivot pin separate from the pivot pin for the trigger bar. The back of the dingus (from the dingus pivot pin to the rear of the dingus) is heavier than the front of the dingus (from the dingus pivot pin to the front of the dingus). So if the gun is dropped onto the back of the slide, inertia will try to engage the dingus trigger safety, not disengage it.

Since the dingus has almost no weight to it, it would take a ton of inertia to move it at all. Especially since there is also a spring trying to keep the trigger safety (dingus) engaged. Essentially the trigger safety is a drop safety. Not a manual safety. Part of what Glock puts on it's website is marketing. Glock's marketing also points out that there is no manual safety to confuse the cop or person defending themselves to fumble with. The 3 safeties Glock touts on their website are safety devices, but they are all drop safeties. Not manual safeties that can be left on or off.
    The dingus is, absolutely a lever, and its manually operated. You booger hook disengages it.
    If it wasnt manual you wouldn't have to pull it back. You keep believing that, as a human are more responseable and better trained than that lever safety. Go ahead and pull it out, maybe have a discharge and see how you fair if someone gets shot.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here. Remove the dingus from any of your Glocks, then try to fire it. It will fire. If you're holding a 1911, it's loaded, it's pointed downrange, you're about to fire. Then someone asks you, "Did you remember to turn off the grip safety?" You're going to look at that person like they're stupid. Because you don't turn the grip safety on or off. Grabbing the gun automatically turns it off. Pulling the trigger automatically moves the dingus out of the way of the frame.

Glock safe action pistol is marketing. Like Glock Perfection is marketing. Glock says Glocks are perfection, but they're not perfection.
    You called a 1911 grip safety because it is a manual safety also. One has to grab that pistol and squeeze that safety to release it so the pistol can fire.
    Its a motion to turn off one of the pistols safetys.
    Cant turn off a grip safety??? you simply relax your grip. Its there because the US Armys Calvery needed a safety that when they let go of the pistol after shooting while on horseback, a safety gets turned on. And no the pistols wernt dropped, thay had lannards to keep the pistols attached to them.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    If guns were hammers

1911 and a glock

They would both get the job done but...ask yourself which one would you really want in your toolbox?
    Nothing against Glock either they are fine guns and if I had one I would carry is without worry

Attachments

• slide_1.jpg
      slide_1.jpg
      128 KB · Views: 1
    • 89417179-old-rusty-hammer-on-a-gray-wooden-background.jpg
      89417179-old-rusty-hammer-on-a-gray-wooden-background.jpg
      219.9 KB · Views: 1
    Top Bottom