• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Some folks simply don't have the funds to buy some of the better stuff out there. Kids are expensive, etc. When I was younger...I couldn't afford to indulge in buying a lot of guns. Now that I am older...with one almost through college, I have more disposable income. So instead of $200 pocket guns, I am looking at the $1300 1911's. :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Just because something is inexpensive, doesn't mean that it is "cheap crap."

I mean hell, the Ruger SR9c is on that list and I would call it anything but "cheap crap". Now that I look at it again, there aren't many guns on the list that I would lable as "crap" at all.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Having worked and ordered for a dealer before, WOW, those are all low margin allstars. When we started ordering Mosins, we would have to order 10, sell 9 to cover the shipping/handling and the last one would be the meager $20 profit for the store. Our store sold Hi Points too, those were a mess. Yeah, yeah, yours works fine, I don't care. For every 1 that went out the door, 3 would come in with issues. :(

One thing I hated working for an FFL (LGS) was when folks come into the store with a brand new gun and want me to fix it. Flash forward, now I work sales for an Indiana manufacturer that has a warranty situation. We ask that folks contact US directly, instead of hauling it back to the dealer. Why can't gun owners do that? :D

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Just because something is inexpensive, doesn't mean that it is "cheap crap."

I mean hell, the Ruger SR9c is on that list and I would call it anything but "cheap crap". Now that I look at it again, there isn't many guns on the list that I would lable as "crap" at all.

Very true. I have an SR9, it's my fav, even over my Glocks and 1911s!!

But, from a dealer perspective, there's no money in them or minimal. The guns aren't necessarily cheap in the perspective of materials, they are cheap in the level of margin. The overhead of your LGS is VERY high compared to other businesses that have higher product turnover. Low margin guns will pay for the chemicals to clean the toliet, but you have to sell ALOT of 'em. :twocents:

jcharrison05

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Richmond
    Some folks simply don't have the funds to buy some of the better stuff out there. Kids are expensive, etc. When I was younger...I couldn't afford to indulge in buying a lot of guns. Now that I am older...with one almost through college, I have more disposable income. So instead of $200 pocket guns, I am looking at the $1300 1911's. :)

Just like u said some of us cant afford those $1300 1911's because of kids and disposable income is getting harder and harder to come by. Although I'd like to have the inventory of an FFL dealer.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Another issue is that the cheaper the gun, the higher the expectation of it's performance seems to be with the end user. Folks expect match accuracy or competition triggers out of Cobra derringers. Their expectations are on par with the product when the cost of the gun (or allure) is higher. Just an observation...

People buy cheap guns, never clean them, use crap ammo (which there is another can 'o' worms with profitability) then get mad at YOU the dealer when they jam or don't work. Heck, 95% of the problem guns that walk in the door still have the factory packing grease in them and their owners are shocked when they are magically 100% when you clean and lube em right. :(

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    When I worked with a dealer I was amazed at how small the mark up was on even the high end stuff. Many manufacturers control the selling price based on the dealer's standing with them, whether they are just a "dealer" or "distributing dealer" or any other of their favorite terms for their sales people.

And talking about high end stuff, I was shocked when I saw the dealer cost of a certain "high end" 1911 and what the manufacturer required it be sold for. And then at shows people expect discounts on something like that?

That is the reason many of the smaller FFLs whether a store front or not have so many used firearms, because that is where the money is at.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    And talking about high end stuff, I was shocked when I saw the dealer cost of a certain "high end" 1911 and what the manufacturer required it be sold for. And then at shows people expect discounts on something like that?

Yeah, gotta love Kimber. :D Their requirements pretty much require lube and the constitution of Patton himself to pull it off, and for no profit when it's said and done. There is a reason we pulled out in time and why Plainfield Shooting refuses to be a "Kimber dealer".

Just because it looks cool or "should sell well" doesn't mean it will.

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    No one has mentioned how many people go to their LGS, test-handle ten different guns, say "Thank You" and go buy the one they want off the web? I owned a stereo store many years ago. At times, I was the local FREE demo facility for the mailorder houses. Unfortunately, they never paid me anything for providing their showroom for them.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I consider most of the list "cheap crap." I prefer 1911's at least made somewhere else than the Phillipines or Brazil. For this reason I can't buy most Springfield 1911's.

I guess I just want to stimulate the AMERICAN economy.

Also the fact that the Sigma line of pistols made that list twice and the M&P line didn't make it once shows me people don't care about quality, just that it goes bang.

Top Bottom