• gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Slight thread-jack (OP, let me know if this is too far afield) - :hijack:

Curious about preferences people have between the Winchester 94 and the Marlin 336? Meaning, if one were in the market, which one would you nudge them towards and why?

I'm not a lever gun guy per se and I am decidedly "old school' when it comes to them. I have never cared for the newer Marlins when they started putting the safeties on them. Mine is simple, has really nice wood and the action is so smooth. The bluing, though worn in areas, is so deep and nice. I really have no interest in owning a newer lever gun.

I think if what my dad had was a Winchester 94, I'd probably feel the same way about it as I do the Marlin. I don't know if Winchester made a "carbine" model with the shorter tube but I really like the lines with mine with the shorter tube, not to mention the balance.

Old Bear

Greyman Apprentice
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 19, 2016
    Newton County
    I have a beautiful Marlin 336 in 30-30. The serial number puts it at a 1964 build with flawless walnut stock and rich deep bluing. I often think of selling it because its a safe queen. But, every time I get it out of the safe, I fall in love with it again and put it back. Love the rifle!!!!

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

Curious about preferences people have between the Winchester 94 and the Marlin 336? Meaning, if one were in the market, which one would you nudge them towards and why?

that’s an easy one. I love my real Winchesters. I shoot all my Winchester’s (1917 thru 1929) alot. But I shoot my Marlins more. Solid Top engineered and smoother action make them easier to scope and handle. So Marlin would be my choice going forward. That being said, Winchester’s post 1964 are not in the running. The Winchester license has been abused making so called 94 and and 92’s that have cheesy safeties, rebounding sponge hammers, and sloppy chambers that split brass etc. Then, in an attempt to breath a little life into the breed, we farmed it out to Japan. While the fit and finish of these Mikoru guns are fantastic, however IMHO the actions, shoot ability and the fact that my dignity will not allow a Winchester stamped made in Japan.

small disclaimer here.... if like many levergun collectors..if you are only talking about shooting a few hundred rounds a year, nothing I just said matters that much. But in the long run, if you are going to shoot thousands of rounds through these, post 2018- Pre August 2020 Marlin is the choice. Hope this helps

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    that’s an easy one. I love my real Winchesters. I shoot all my Winchester’s (1917 thru 1929) alot. But I shoot my Marlins more. Solid Top engineered and smoother action make them easier to scope and handle. So Marlin would be my choice going forward. That being said, Winchester’s post 1964 are not in the running. The Winchester license has been abused making so called 94 and and 92’s that have cheesy safeties, rebounding sponge hammers, and sloppy chambers that split brass etc. Then, in an attempt to breath a little life into the breed, we farmed it out to Japan. While the fit and finish of these Mikoru guns are fantastic, however IMHO the actions, shoot ability and the fact that my dignity will not allow a Winchester stamped made in Japan.

small disclaimer here.... if like many levergun collectors..if you are only talking about shooting a few hundred rounds a year, nothing I just said matters that much. But in the long run, if you are going to shoot thousands of rounds through these, post 2018- Pre August 2020 Marlin is the choice. Hope this helps

It definitely does help, TJ. Thanks!

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I gave 0 craps about lever guns until my step grandpa passed 4 years ago. I inherited a 1957 model 336 in .30-30 from my grandma when she moved to Texas. After a year of using it I realized what I was missing. It’s like a bolt action but even better with a thinner profile and less movement for a follow up shot. I’ve loaded up all kinds of .308 rounds with it from tracers to subsonics to mild loads for new shooters. I get why Indiana was overlooked for them for the most part with our rifle hunting laws. Hope you find one.

jnicol6600

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Find you an older Jm marlin. They are out there just need to go to the right pawn shop or lgs. You will be way more satisfied with the fit and finish

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    For months, Ive looked for a 336 in 30-30. Due to elections, is no one selling? Deer season? Are they just a quality rifle, so those who have one are keeping theirs? Since I went hog hunting in East Tennesse, I have wanted one (hopefully a FTF in Indiana vs Gunbroker type sale) and its been really difficult to find.

Local shop here in Seymour had a couple lever action 30-30s sitting on the shelf yesterday. One was a 336. In fact it is pretty common for them to keep a couple in stock right before deer season. What they they are short on right now is youth sized rifles. Normally they have a pile of them. But hunting rifles there was a good selection.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    I gave 0 craps about lever guns until my step grandpa passed 4 years ago. I inherited a 1957 model 336 in .30-30 from my grandma when she moved to Texas. After a year of using it I realized what I was missing. It’s like a bolt action but even better with a thinner profile and less movement for a follow up shot. I’ve loaded up all kinds of .308 rounds with it from tracers to subsonics to mild loads for new shooters. I get why Indiana was overlooked for them for the most part with our rifle hunting laws. Hope you find one.

You may want to be careful loading .308 rounds in your 336 or ANY tube fed gun for that matter.

There is a reason tube fed guns use blunt point projectiles!

Last thing you want is a bunch of pointy things pushing on the primers while stacked in a line!

114edf91ad3a57508ec8662c86091bce309ee231d006349309d35fe4cf8136c9.jpg

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I just look next to my bed and there is one........thuty-thuty version.. Won't ever sell this one, my FIL left it to me, so my son will get it some day. I pick it up constantly and hold it, and just love the fit and finish, is it a collector?...no, but just a good quality working rifle... OP, sorry you're having a hard time finding one....30 years ago pawn shops around here had tons of them, and 94's for $100-200 all day long.......ahh the good old days....

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    There's a lot of 336's out there Marlin made a ton and they are anything but rare. I think the ship has pretty much sailed as far as finding a deal on one especially with the recent announcement. Starting bids on Gunbroker now are 5-600.00 with some even at 1K.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

I have 2 of each and it really depends on your budget and purpose for it. The two advantages that Marlins have over Winchesters is that they are usually somewhat cheaper and slightly easier to scope. The fit, finish and blueing will typically be better on comparable 94s and the actions are usually a lot smoother. The new Miroku 94s are built to a higher quality than Marlin and certainly Remington ever built a 336 in my opinion but are priced accordingly. It may make sense to go that route if you want an heirloom kind of lever action to hand down to your kid some day. For a hunting or plinking gun there are plenty of older 336s and 94s that will serve your purpose, just handle some and work the action before you buy and you probably won't go wrong either way.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    You may want to be careful loading .308 rounds in your 336 or ANY tube fed gun for that matter.

There is a reason tube fed guns use blunt point projectiles!

Last thing you want is a bunch of pointy things pushing on the primers while stacked in a line!

114edf91ad3a57508ec8662c86091bce309ee231d006349309d35fe4cf8136c9.jpg

There's several .308 caliber rounds with rubbery tips that Hornady makes that are safe for tube fed actions. I use those and single load the fun ones like tracers. 160 grain subsonic using Trail Boss is a great time as well. For everyone else, don't be stupid and stack pointy all copper match bullets on top of each other in a tube. It may work fine once or twice but one time it won't be fine and you'll regret it.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Keep an eye on Armslist, they pop up occasionally. I believe I saw one about three weeks ago in the $6-700 range. There's one on there now, posted October 4, jm stamp, and a new one in black.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Winchester 1895 if you like modern pointy ammo, even chambered for the mighty 405 for the stout shouldered.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    O.P.
    If you can't find a 336, but still long for a .30-30 lever gun, you need to check out the Mossberg 464.
    I bought one several years ago after seeing one my sister-in-law bought for my brother.

Mine was a Davison's Gallery of Guns exclusive offer with a gorgeous laminated stock and "Marine Cote" finish.
    It is every bit as smooth action as my old 336 and just as accurate.
    I gave just under $500 for it, but that was a few years back.
    I'll bet you can still get a brand new Mossberg 464 for less than some want for their used 336's.

Just a thought.

cavemike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have two 336's
    One a 1990's 30-30 nothing special a Dick's Sporting Goods special
    the other is a .35 Rem. born in 1952
    i really like the 35, Ballard rifling, half cock safety, finish is worn , dings and scratches on the stock
    Shoots really good
    2 rounds touching and one about 1" to the left one three round groups at 50 yards
    My public ground rifle is a Marlin1894 in .41 Mag
    Also a good shooter with cast bullets

Sthunter987

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 5, 2009
    Southern Johnson County
    I hate to be the one to say this, but one just sold here on this site a few days ago after being available for a week. Prior to that another one sold here about 6 weeks ago. So my point is they show here, just keep an eye out .

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    I own 5, one in .44 mag., one in .35 Rem, three in 30-30. The most fun " Stubby" it was deactivated for use in a Hunters Ed. program. I shorten the barrel to 16 1/4", replaced the firing pin. From a rest it'll group 3 shots touching at 50 yds. handy as pockets on shirt. Oldest, late 40s early 50s, long barrel, half magazine, a blast to shoot off hand. Took a nice buck with the .44, yes it is a 336. Few were made as there were reports of feeding problems.
    Are they worth it, yes. Get your money together and be patient. Remember Glenfields were Marlin box store guns. They usually sport beech stocks, sights dovetailed into the barrel, some were even branded Sears or Western Auto. Good Luck
    :cool:<>< Duce

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    O.P.
    If you can't find a 336, but still long for a .30-30 lever gun, you need to check out the Mossberg 464.
    I bought one several years ago after seeing one my sister-in-law bought for my brother.

Mine was a Davison's Gallery of Guns exclusive offer with a gorgeous laminated stock and "Marine Cote" finish.
    It is every bit as smooth action as my old 336 and just as accurate.
    I gave just under $500 for it, but that was a few years back.
    I'll bet you can still get a brand new Mossberg 464 for less than some want for their used 336's.

Just a thought.

Brand new Mossberg 464 on Gunbroker
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/881486616

Top Bottom