• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    You're right. How could I forget the garlic? I suppose we could put a little powdered garlic in between the kryptonite and the wood.

On a more serious note - what is the feasibility of using wood as a bullet?
    I bet it wouldn't have great external ballistics even if it survived the pressure blast. Box O' Truth done any work on this yet?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    On a more serious note - what is the feasibility of using wood as a bullet?
    I bet it wouldn't have great external ballistics even if it survived the pressure blast. Box O' Truth done any work on this yet?

The name and details evade my memory, but early last century someone overcame technical difficulties with an early autopistol by using a copper-jacketed wood bullet. It functioned beautifully but lacked the terminal performance to stop a determined house plant, making it an interesting technical solution which defeated its purpose.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    The name and details evade my memory, but early last century someone overcame technical difficulties with an early autopistol by using a copper-jacketed wood bullet. It functioned beautifully but lacked the terminal performance to stop a determined house plant, making it an interesting technical solution which defeated its purpose.

Yeah, this piqued my interest so I hit google.
    Apparently, it used to be common practice to load training rounds and blanks with wooden bullets, particularly during the Great Wars.

But, as you mentioned, the external ballistics suck.
    Hm. "The More You Know."

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yeah, this piqued my interest so I hit google.
    Apparently, it used to be common practice to load training rounds and blanks with wooden bullets, particularly during the Great Wars.

But, as you mentioned, the external ballistics suck.
    Hm. "The More You Know."

I have to wonder if the idea of wooden training rounds came from that failed idea of using wood for service ammunition. Google didn't take me to the right weapon, which I imagine never left the prototype stage. Unfortunately it has been too many years since I read about it.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I have to wonder if the idea of wooden training rounds came from that failed idea of using wood for service ammunition. Google didn't take me to the right weapon, which I imagine never left the prototype stage. Unfortunately it has been too many years since I read about it.

It's cool. If it still bothers me tomorrow I'll try google-forcing the information.
    Still, an interesting thought.

Wysko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Indy, West Side.
    Why is it that when the bad guy is cornered and empties his 38 at Superman, the bullets bounce off his chest ...but when the bad guy throws the empty gun at him, he ducks out of the way?!

When it comes to stopping the bullets of bad guys Wonder Woman's bullets and bracelets deflection was waaaaay cooler.
    My question is this, why does Superman wear his red underwear on the outside of his blue pants/tights? Batman is a bit silly in this area as well. What up with that?:dunno:

Mike

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Hm. "The More You Know."

The-More-You-Know-150x150.png

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Maybe it's because the explosion from the handgun would be too powerful compared to the bullet hitting him. Oh wait, you didn't say Glock, you said .38.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I've always wondered why his clothing doesn't get damaged. If you wrapped a steel blast door in spandex(the closest equivalent to superman and his suit I could think of) and shot at it, it wouldn't do anything to the door underneath, but it would still put a hole in the spandex, right?

Top Bottom