• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Ive noticed thru a search on this board that while cz has its thread almost pinned XDM are rarely even mentioned outside of the sales board? I just recently picked up my XDM elite compact and havent gotten to shoot it yet, but is there a reason that the gun isnt as popular as say a M&P shield?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I have an XDM 4.5 in .40

I like it for the most part, but more of a range gun. I edc’d it for a while, but the grip is horrible (and I carry a glock, so that says a lot). It’s a well built gun, never had a FTF or FTE, I would trust my life to it, however I prefer to carry something that feels most comfortable in my hands and I don’t mind getting scratched up in every day life.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Also, the 4.5 is too big to carry every day. If I bought it with that intention I would’ve went with the smaller version. Still, great gun, extremely accurate and reliable, just isn’t an edc gun IMO.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    I have XDm 4.5 in9mm and just love it!
    Picked up and XDm Elite 3.8 in 9mm and just love it too! Great trigger. Mags drop so smoothly. There is a rediculous amount of words on the gun, but they function flawlessly.

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    I’d also add that I think Springfield Armory makes some of the most reliable guns I’ve ever shot. Even if the XDm is from Croatia.

Also Rural King sells the XDm for under $500 (FDE is like $420), and I’m a sucker for a good deal.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    XD and XDm are "also-ran" pistols. No military provenance, not widely used by law enforcement, silly and unnecessary grip safety, high bore axis, limited aftermarket support. Not real Springfield Armory pistols, just Croatian polymer stamped with a logo. Considered by a lot of people to be the epitome of a "bubba" gun. They work ok, but so do most other pistols. Even if every other pistol doesn't have a designated "grip zone."

Other makes are proven in the field, in wide use amongst armed professionals and have excellent track records. The best that can be said about the XD series is that it's ok, but you could do better.

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    XD and XDm are "also-ran" pistols. No military provenance, not widely used by law enforcement, silly and unnecessary grip safety, high bore axis, limited aftermarket support. Not real Springfield Armory pistols, just Croatian polymer stamped with a logo. Considered by a lot of people to be the epitome of a "bubba" gun. They work ok, but so do most other pistols. Even if every other pistol doesn't have a designated "grip zone."

Other makes are proven in the field, in wide use amongst armed professionals and have excellent track records. The best that can be said about the XD series is that it's ok, but you could do better.
    72366817_954357694907947_6534408517384667136_n-jpg.207598.jpg

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Switched from EDC of Berettas to XDm Elites. Once they have optics ready slides on them and come out with a 10mm Elite it will be most likely complete my transition away from Berettas, unless they come out with a 10mm.

I prefer them because of the grip safety.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Nothing wrong with the Springfield Polymer pistols.

There are probably 50 brands of polymer handguns that work fine but don't get much attention. That does not make them bad. Sometimes it is the new brand that makes and keeps a fan base. Sometimes it is the most aggressive marketing that makes a fan base. Sometimes it is a cheap price. I have a lot of appliances in the house that serve me well on a regular basis. Having peer approval or some other prestige is not required. When I worked at the shop, I sold lots of the Springfield poly pistols in all the different sizes. I don't remember ever needing to send one back for warranty.

Seems like a good product to me.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    But the xdm doesnt have one? I thought the m stood for mature!

The XD is ugly.

There, I said it.

They make Glocks look good in comparison.

I have both a G26 and G22 and if a glock is pretty itll be more in a bland way vs xdm being a ugly actress, not as good looking but way more fun to look at instead.
    Switched from EDC of Berettas to XDm Elites. Once they have optics ready slides on them and come out with a 10mm Elite it will be most likely complete my transition away from Berettas, unless they come out with a 10mm.

I prefer them because of the grip safety.
    That is the reason Im going to start running one as I do tons of boucing around on a bike and would rather not have any possible chance for the gun to go off. Ive even thought about SA revolvers for this reason but only with a safety notch.

Last edited:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I've had a few and liked them all a lot. Great grip angle that pointed quite naturally, felt nice and balanced in my hands, accurate and reliable. But never took a shine to having a 1911-style grip safety on a polymer striker gun. Newer models shouldn't say "grip zone" anymore (thankfully they got rid of that scripting). You'll probably get some political commentary on here soon about some shenanigans in IL that have people sworn away from them forever. I think they paid for their sins on that front, a head or two rolled, so as far as I'm concerned that's in the past. And I kind of like seeing a manufacturer be successful in such an anti-2A state.

The final straw for me was an issue I had with their XDE. This was like 4 years ago and their CS has yet to respond. I no longer own it but that's not to say at some point I wouldn't give their XDm Elite series a go. But it's not something I'm pining to have.

Last edited:

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I had an original full size XD, not the newer one.I liked it, but at the time was looking for a carry gun, and I thought it was too big, though I did like the 17 rounds. I would own one if I found the right, couldn't pass up, deal, but I love my M&P. But hey, at least they're not Hi-points......

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have several Xdm's
    I would have to go count them to tell you exactly how many.
    I like them, I've shot them in classes and competitions for years.
    I tried Glocks, don't like them. I tried M@P's, don't like them.
    The Xdm's fit my hand better and I shoot them better than any of the others I've tried.

If I know I'm going to a pistol fight, I'm packing my 2011 but that thing is a bit heavy for everyday

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'd say marketing plays a role as well as what the manufacturer is most known for. In the case of Springfield, they seem to have a robust 1911 offering.

Ruger is strong in revolvers (and some other stuff, but not necessarily striker fired guns)

Glock is the striker fired leader.

S&W for revolvers and striker fired.

CZ's for...well...I can't think what those are good for. :D

I'm sure other brands make good stuff but once a brand gets market share, it tends to keep growing through aggressive marketing and word of mouth. Hard to beat that with just a spec sheet.

The XD/XDM series pistols are probably the only brand/models that I never really considered as I was buying, trying and selling my way to where I am now.

Doesn't Rob Leatham shoot Springfield?

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I will speak only for myself. Every gun has a niche association, for better or worse. To me an xd series gun yells Fudd. To further my point, most xd's I have seen are chambered in 40sw. Nothing is wrong in my opinion with either the xd or the 40. That being said both are categories I stay away from for one reason or another. More so the xd line. They just do absolutely nothing for me

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    I have had an XDM and XDS and really liked them both. Ending up selling them to fund some other gun purchases.

Currently have and XDE and really like how it shoots. Still, as someone mentioned, my two favorite Springfield offerings are an EMP4 and a Ronin. Really love those two better than any of the XD models I have had.

Top Bottom