• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    The grip safety, and how it was originally marketed. It has a reputation as a "retard gun" because it was marketed directly at low-knowledge consumers who do dumb things like carry guns holster-less in purses, and who think the grip-thingy "makes it safer." It's hard to get more knowledgeable people to take a gun like that seriously, and rightly so, with so many other good choices out there.

Last edited:

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've never owned one, but I've shot quite a few. They just don't do it for me. I'm not a huge striker-fired guy anyway, but the XD/XDM feel very blocky and I've never been able to shoot them very well. There's just nothing about them that I really like or works particularly well for me...if it has to be striker-fired, give me a P320 or even a Glock. So far as I'm concerned, the XD's primary function is to provide competition in the market place to keep the prices down on guns that I actually want.

I'm not a Springfield Armory hater....I love my EMP4 and Loaded 1911, and an M1A Scout Squad is on my want list. AFAIK, there's nothing wrong with the XD line's reliability, either...nobody I know who owns one has had any complaints in that regard. They're not bad guns...there's just better stuff out there in the same price bracket.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have the 5.25 9mm and I love it. I tried a G****, S&W M&P and the XDm back to back at the range. I really wanted the M&P but I shot the XDm so much better. And at the time, 2012ish, the trigger was so much better than the other two. Plus the 19 round mag was nice. So I bought one. I do carry it IWB on occasion. I also recently bought a nice OWB concealment holster. I do like carrying it that way better.
    As to the grip safety, it doesn't bother me. It is a little more security when reholstering.

I've shot it in IDPA, USPSA & Steel Challenge, and training classes. I bought it used and I've put probably over 5,000 rounds through it with ZERO malfunctions. I have replaced the magazine springs, but that's it.

The one bad thing for me is the location of the slide stop. With my thumbs high grip, I tend to hold it down and it won't lock back on the last shot.

I've trained it mostly away, but every now and then, it will catch me.

I liked it so much, I bought a brand new 4" XDs in 9mm a year or so later. That is still my EDC. OWB, IWB and AIWB are all great with it. And several thousand rounds through it with zero issues, except the front fiber optic tube falling out on occasion. But that's not a big deal. I was shooting it in IDPA last year when that happened. Didn't even really slow me down.

Last edited:

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I will say that XD and XDm have had more failures in live fire instruction than any other pistol. This comes from a variety of sources and trainers.
    That’s interesting
    When the Xd was new it had some rather glaring problems. Striker retaining pins breaking was one of the big ones that I can remember.
    The Xdm was developed to fix this and some other early issues.
    I’ve never owned an Xd series but I’ve heard horror stories.
    My experience is a small sample
    I have attempted to attend at least one defensive related pistol class and one competition related class per year since 2009.
    These classes usually require a weekend and 1000 rounds or so.
    I take two pistols just in case one of them breaks.
    Ive only switched to the backup once and that was my fault. I did detail clean on the primary prior to the class and didn’t have an opportunity to test fire the gun before leaving.
    I have seen a lot of glock imperfection during these classes. I’m leaning to an owner problem similar to mine rather than an actual problem with the guns themselves.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The one bad thing for me is the location of the slide stop. With my thumbs high grip, I tend to hold it down and it won't lock back on the last shot.

I've trained it mostly away, but every now and then, it will catch me.
    I do this with both my M&P 2.0 Compact and my Shield. Unless I put my thumb on top of my support thumb area, the slides won't lock back.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I may be mixing up brands, but I believe that the XD line has one of the highest failure rates in advanced training classes. I recall several high profile instructors complaining that they just dont handle high round count classes very well. One said that its not if the pistol will fail during his classes, but when.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I had an XD Tactical in .45ACP some time ago.
    It was OK for what it is.
    The price was right, it had a decent' natural point of aim, was very reliable, and was WAY better ergonomically than a Glock.

It had the downside of a striker fired trigger, which I like a hammer fired trigger better.
    But it was too big to easily carry, so it sat in my safe and I ended up selling it for other things I wanted more.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I will say that XD and XDm have had more failures in live fire instruction than any other pistol. This comes from a variety of sources and trainers.
    I may be mixing up brands, but I believe that the XD line has one of the highest failure rates in advanced training classes. I recall several high profile instructors complaining that they just dont handle high round count classes very well. One said that its not if the pistol will fail during his classes, but when.
    If you begin to look into it - you'll find that this is the case.

That, and grip safeties are dumb-dumb on modern fighting pistols.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I've got an XDe in 9mm and a 4.5 XDm in .45 ACP. Both feel great in my hand whereas something about Glock grips have always felt a little off. I haven't had any issues with mine and they're both good shooters. Everyone's personal preferences are going to be a little different; I've never gotten the blanket fanboi attitude from all sides. The real question should be, does it work for me?

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I am polyamorous when it comes to handguns. I love PPQs, I love M&Ps, I love XDms, etc., but then again all I require to give my love to a handgun is that it function 100% on every trigger pull, and that it fits my style of shooting. I can say that I've owned 3 XDm handguns and they have all fit me very well and they have been 100% reliable.

I love how some folks, even on this forum, spew hearsay as though it is actual experience.

I prefer experience: https://www.thearmorylife.com/does-ayoob-hate-the-xd/

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Had an XDM, sold it. It worked fine, no problems. It shoot straight, no problem.

My beef with Springfield is their marketing. I hate marketing. They advertise being an American Icon in firearms and then import the plastic eurotrash from Croatia. I prefer my plastic junk to say Glock or Walther.

Funny story, guy walks into the shop looking for a leather holster for his XD. Of course finding an XD holster locally is a challenge in itself. So I find a holster, then he asks if it was made in the USA. No sir, this is leather out of Texas but assembled in Mexico. Nope, only buy American. Give me that Stealth Operator that says made in the USA. I didn’t have the heart to point out the gun was made in Croatia and the plastic for the holster probably rolled out of China.

Sitcomdad83

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2021
    Indiana
    I had a xd m 4.5 .40 and kick myself for selling that one I didn't shoot it but felt great. I like the m better than the original design. I'd get another one if given the chance.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    My second handgun ever was an XD.

Was an alright firearm but that was about it. Just alright.
    Maybe in a market where we couldn't get handguns with military/police provenance it would be a bigger deal. But why would I spend the same money on a largely civilian-only rebranded firearm when I could have something with global adoption and more testing conducted on it?

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I guess I'm glad I bought the CZ that was in the classies, not the XDM. I would hate to be ashamed to show my gun.
    I was looking at an XDM in the classies here. I liked a lot of what I read about them. By the time I was willing to make an offer it was gone. I'm not unhappy with the CZ I ended up with.

The quoted reply was made in jest.

So I now own Ruger's, S&W M&Ps, a CZ, and some Tauruses. I used to own a Glock and a Canik and liked them both. Sold Bersa Thunder cause I like striker fired better. I love trying different things.

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I guess the comment is a bit correct about it being the last gun you would choose as ive owned or currently own: 3 glocks, 2 Sigs, 1 Browning, 1 Colt, 1 Berretta, 1 Lifecard, and 1 NAA before buying the xdm.

Now I will say this about the XDM meta trigger, it is miles better than the Zev trigger in my G26 or really any of my guns except the colt!

The one side issue with this pistol is good luck finding suppressor height sights or any holster outside of online. Only a steyr would be harder to get accessories for in a store.

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I have owned 4 XDm’s. First was a used 4.5” in 40 (sold after 10 years ). I then added a stock 5.25 in 40 for USPSA. That was followed by a Springer Precision 5.25 in 40 for USPSA and sold the preceding one to a buddy. Another 5.25 in 9 with a slide cut for a red dot plus upgraded internals used for Steel Challenge and pistol league at my club. I never had an issue with any of them. The 2 remaining 5.25’s are now safe queens as I no longer shoot any competitions. Too large for me to CC but great guns in my humble opinion. I have to admit I am tempted to obtain an Elite but resist simply because I really have no legitimate use for it...at least for the moment.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I thing I don't like is you can't find factory parts. For example, I have an Elite, when they come out with a slide that is optics ready, you can't get one from Springfield that I know of.

Top Bottom