Why isn't the price on ammo going through the roof?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Come November 6th if the Democrat's win both the House and Senate you will see a surge in people buying ammunition on a huge scale. Not to mention them evil, scary, black rifles and their magazines

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    One of my local shops has lots of powders for $18 - $20 per pound all the time. Because of them, I only buy my powder locally.

That's a good price on primers, but for me (SE of Indy), it's not worth the trip. And I have a decent supply of primers.
    For powder shows are my source. Kempfs up by me has reloading stuff but powder runs 22 to 27 per lb. Primers are 31 and this is all before tax. I seen a few places online even with the hazmat in the 18 range for some of the powder that I use.

Im hoping I can get my primers for the same price still and pick up some powder. I got roughly 4k in small pistol, 3k in large pistol, and 5k small rifle.

Recently got into casting so also need some more molds before I can start dropping bullets. Also need some powdercoat.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Son and I collect firearms AND Ammo. We have been doing so for over 25 years.

Presently we have in excess of 35K of loaded ammo, not counting 22LR (mostly 30-06, 762.54r, 8mm Mauser, 6.5x55, 7.5X55 .308, 5.56 - 7.62X39, 300 win mag, 50BMG, 38, .357, 9MM, 44 mag, 45 LC, 45ACP, 22LR, 22 mag, 17HMR, and some other oddball calibers). We have molds for most calibers and 3 or 4 lead pots, heated Lubrisizer, half dozen or so single stage presses, lee progressive, cleaners, trimmers, and all the other associated equipment. He purchased a new fully equipped Hornady L&L press with all the options. We also have a few hundred lbs of lead & tin, enough bullets, powder and primers to reload at least 30K of mixed cal ammo.

I still purchase ammo and reloading supplies when I run into a deal, usually in bulk. We have multiple die sets, some for calibers we don't have (yet) as I bought out a (divorced) long time collector and re-loader a few years ago.

I didn't run low on 22LR during the shortage, nor will I ever, having just purchased >5K this year. I am 78 YO, and am quite sure there is WAY more ammo than I could shoot in the rest of my life. Short of a foreign invasion, revolution or other catastrophe I'm sure the ammo supply will outlast my children.

Wife did used to complain some, especially when I stored a few thousand rounds under our bed! She has gotten used to it in the last 10 years or so and just ignores the boxes!

The guns and ammo don't eat anything, and stored in a temperature controlled home with air conditioning should be good as new for the next 75 years or so.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Given current events, I'm expecting prices to soar just as I approach the dregs of my savings and former investments. If I'm not employed by then, I'll be applying current market prices to ammunition that I have left.

Yeah, I don't the prices are going to soar soon enough.

Will someone please initiate some panic buying and hoarding?!! :laugh:

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    If I have 100 rounds, I need 200. If I have 1,000, I need 2,000. If I have 10,000, ......

Top Bottom