• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rubix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2020
    Harlan
    I have mixed feelings about plastic. I know they're cheaper to make and everyone swears by them, but I still have reservations. I have one plastic fantastic, but I've got mixed feelings about it and debate a Sig M17 instead.

In a way I feel like plastic is gun control by attrition. I probably wouldn't feel that way if the 2A was rock-solid among all political subsets. I've probably read too much about how plastic will outlast you and all, but where are all the gen 1/2 glocks? I'm not saying they're bad, just that the plastic "experts" seem to think they'll last longer than you will. If that's true where are they?

I know some may collect them, but I've never encountered anyone who carries "old" plastic. I don't like the idea of brittle plastic in 20-30 years.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have mixed feelings about plastic. I know they're cheaper to make and everyone swears by them, but I still have reservations. I have one plastic fantastic, but I've got mixed feelings about it and debate a Sig M17 instead.

In a way I feel like plastic is gun control by attrition. I probably wouldn't feel that way if the 2A was rock-solid among all political subsets. I've probably read too much about how plastic will outlast you and all, but where are all the gen 1/2 glocks? I'm not saying they're bad, just that the plastic "experts" seem to think they'll last longer than you will. If that's true where are they?

I know some may collect them, but I've never encountered anyone who carries "old" plastic. I don't like the idea of brittle plastic in 20-30 years.

That's where I think some of the new Sigs shine. The grip modules, not being the serialized firearm, are easily replaced with whatever size, texture, aftermarket you want. I'm sure that cuts into their market on the actual firearm side a bit, but they can turn out grip modules and sell them at a good margin without being regulated. I still like Glocks, but have always been a bit concerned about any permanent customization of the polymer frame since it is the firearm.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The recent sea change in firearms is not polymers, but the serialized chassis. That will be the design point that dominates going forward IMHO. What that concept does that a molded frame does not do is to allow the manufacture of 10s of thousand serialized chassis and then later configure them to meet market needs. It’s essentially bringing the AR concept to handguns but with easy manufacturing capabilities using lower grade components.

Imagine a manufacturer being able to optimize a production line for the serialized chassis and crank them out quickly and cheaply. If the market suddenly shifts to large framed guns, they can pivot much faster than they could if they had to retool machines or alter production lines. This is the type of innovation that changes industries.

Agreed 100%. The OEMs doing this have taken the next step in the evolution.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    My first handgun was a polymer frame. The majority of handguns I have owned have been plastics actually, but nothing will beat the feel of a metal frame. Even if you put tungsten rods in the grip to try to replicate the weight I still don't think it would feel the same. Steel will never be totally replaced because a lot of us will pitch a fit.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne

I've got a gen 1 Glock 17 that has been absolutely beat to hell. Works fine, polymer is fine, finish on the slide is probably 50% stripped off.

Rubix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2020
    Harlan
    That's where I think some of the new Sigs shine. The grip modules, not being the serialized firearm, are easily replaced with whatever size, texture, aftermarket you want. I'm sure that cuts into their market on the actual firearm side a bit, but they can turn out grip modules and sell them at a good margin without being regulated. I still like Glocks, but have always been a bit concerned about any permanent customization of the polymer frame since it is the firearm.

This is what is drawing me over to Sig. I like the idea of replacing a frame or chopping one up for my own custom combat commander. For years I’ve tried to get on the Glock bandwagon, but I can’t do the grip angle or get over the ergonomics.

Rubix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2020
    Harlan
    I've got a gen 1 Glock 17 that has been absolutely beat to hell. Works fine, polymer is fine, finish on the slide is probably 50% stripped off.

I’ve never shot a gen 1 or 2, but I am curious to see how they flex as they age. I’ve had a few, along with family, but gen 3 or newer. I’m on the fence with a M17 or a CZ.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Gen 2 G23. I put night sights on it last year. Wife was rusty so I took it and fired a test shot. Bullseye.
    Thousands of rounds with the only issue being old ammo from my BIL. It's one I'll stake my life on. As is one 1911 and one Bushmaster carbon. They're here to stay. So you won't see it in the classys.

Wait, I haven't sold anything in the classys.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    This is what is drawing me over to Sig. I like the idea of replacing a frame or chopping one up for my own custom combat commander. For years I’ve tried to get on the Glock bandwagon, but I can’t do the grip angle or get over the ergonomics.

Chopped my p320c to take subcompact mags. Worked great.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

My USP is from 1994, it's still in perfect condition. Don't really think polymer degrades that much unless it's formulated wrong and exposed to UV for a long time.
    jQ5I69n.jpg

Is 26 years old enough to make a judgement?

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Here's a pic of my X-Compact w/OEM grip module (these were very quick pics from before and after swapping the module today, so pic quality is not great). These are the same size (15 round mag), but I could have just as easily swapped for the Carry II grip module which fits the 17 round mags, etc or if WC made a subcompact (they don't) could have put one of those on (could put an OEM SC grip module on).

Anyway, you get the idea. About a 2 minute swap.

bwj1DFo.jpg

Here's some with the Wilson Combat Grip X-Compact module:

i41cphN.jpg
    xo7Lm2f.jpg

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Fellas.....If you like plastic then by all means have them. Buy them. Shoot them. Enjoy them. It "Used" to be a free country but I think we are still able to make these decisions based on needs/desire's/budget's.

Me, nope no plastic. Had a couple. The CZ's were really OK but hey....."Steel" is real.

In the time I have left on this rock I will sport steel on my hip.

Yeah yeah yeah.

Rubix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2020
    Harlan
    Being new I don't want to ruffle and feathers. Polymer is ok, I have one, but the rest are steel. I do like what Sig did with a serialized FCU and it's the only thing keeping me from either a CZ SP-01/75B/P-01 right now. I have heard that it's UV light, and maybe humidity? that degrades the polymer. On a long enough timeline that is. I guess I'm just waiting for a youtube duty/torture test of some "older" polymer. Those with the earlier stuff, do they flex like they did when new?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Being new I don't want to ruffle and feathers. Polymer is ok, I have one, but the rest are steel. I do like what Sig did with a serialized FCU and it's the only thing keeping me from either a CZ SP-01/75B/P-01 right now. I have heard that it's UV light, and maybe humidity? that degrades the polymer. On a long enough timeline that is. I guess I'm just waiting for a youtube duty/torture test of some "older" polymer. Those with the earlier stuff, do they flex like they did when new?

Flex depends on the blend used. On my FN five seven it was extremely hard from the factory, you aren't making it flex without a hydraulic press. USPs generally are too.

Glocks will flex quite a lot, I've got some old ones and they still flex fine.

Top Bottom