• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I simply cannot add much more to this thread other than being able to add my name to the list of people that have made the decision to reload. I started reloading shotgun shells over 20 years ago and even though it isn't as cost effective as it used to be it is still incredibly fun and very fulfilling. There is a certain satisfaction in using something of your own making, even if it is something as small as your own 9mm round. It is an extension of the shooting sport/hobby that I love and it allows me to take part in it even if weather doesn't let me get to the range. Because I reload, I have learned a skill that cannot be taken from me and I will be able to pass on this to my kids and their kids even along with my equipment. I will always have a stash of ammo to shoot (if I plan well enough!) and it does let you shoot cheaper or at least twice as much as you would when buying factory.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Besides the considerable savings (I could have never competed in matches with centerfire guns without reloading) I can make ammo that I would probably never be able to find on the shelf. I just bought a Rossi Ranch Hand .357 mag. pistol. I just loaded up some light (cowboy) loads for it that I would have probably not been able to find except by a custom loader. These rounds cost me less than $9.00 per box of 50 to hand load. I have been reloading since about 1972 and don't regret any of the money I've spent on reloading equipment. For someone who is "in" to shooting for the long haul, there is only one answer...reload. The side benefit, is that there is a certain satisfaction reloading high quality ammo. It's kinda like growing or hunting your own food. It's a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    With shotguns, the price savings for reloads is not that much cheaper than new shells bought on sale. The advantage is that reloading lets you shot the same shell every time, that helps your scores. Buying what ever is on sale might get you 1100 fps shells this week and 1350 fps shells next week, 7/8 oz lead last week, 1-1/8th oz lead three weeks from now. You get the picture.
    I reload pistol ammo for about $7.50 per box, one half to one third of new ammo costs.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I recently bought a gun and the seller asked if I had any old brass...I had about 500 assorted and he took a huge chunk off the price!

Is it just me, or is there something backwards about this post.=The SELLER discounted the price of the gun to YOU because YOU had assorted used brass??:dunno:
    I guess you must have gave the seller the brass as part of the deal??:popcorn: Bill..

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I reload for the sanity. I go in the garage and sit down; I measure and weigh and think about the job at hand and do it for the reward I get at the range. As for saving money its all in the effort on searching for deals.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I used to re-load when I had a .44 Magnum back in the 90's. My old man had the equipment so I didn't have the expense of purchasing all the stuff but I could load 100 wadcutters for about $20. Pretty good for range ammo. The same rounds at retail were about 3-4 times as much as I recall. I'd hate to price 100 rounds of .44 Mag at the store nowadays.

moea222

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    A lot of guys get into the reloading phase ... then they don't like the time it takes to do their reloading. There goes some expense out the window. It's like exercise equipment ... if you are going to invest, be prepared to use it or you just wasted your money.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    there's a point of pride in reloading for me. I load 44 mag for deer hunting. When I take a deer with a round that I have loaded it makes the hunt that much more satisfying. Then I have started loading for my other calibers and the satisfaction I get when I get the accuracy I like is the point of it.

davek22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    There is the satisfaction of doing it yourself. I personally enjoy the act of rolling my own as much as I do shooting them up. Be warned, it will become an addiction.

Top Bottom