• ...and so much more!
  • right winger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 31, 2008
    Hymera
    Ron is a anti Semite.
    He also has the mentality of George McGovern about the military.
    He stands zero chance of being nominated or if nominated beating Obozo

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Since he can't get the Republican nomination, he can only run as an independent. Running as an independent ensures Obama's election.

The thing you seem to never understand about politics is that there are huge blocks of voters that will NEVER vote your way. This requires any candidate who will ever be elected president to make compromises you are going to hate. This places you permanently on the fringe where the only thing you can do is be a spoiler, which ensures that the guy farthest from your views will be elected, which then provokes a series of ridiculous rationalizations that claim that all the candidates that compromise are the same as each other.

I like Ron Paul. I disagree with him only on the war(s). I'd vote for him if it made any sense. It just doesn't.
    So we are once again relegated to voting for someone we don't want as President. We vote FOR a candidate because we want the other candidate as President even LESS. :xmad:

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    So we are once again relegated to voting for someone we don't want as President. We vote FOR a candidate because we want the other candidate as President even LESS. :xmad:

That's how it works and how it will always work. It can't work another way.

You guys seem to assume there's a whole bunch of people out there who agree with you. There's not. Since there's not, to become President, you have to appeal to a variety of people with widely varied viewpoints. You'll never get the President you want, because it doesn't work that way.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Could Ron Paul beat Obama in a general election with only two people running? Maybe. We'll never find that out, though.

You guys seem to think our system is somehow corrupt because of this. There are systems that work differently, they have many parties and run many candidates. The only difference is that they form their coalitions AFTER they are elected, we form ours before. In practice, however, it works much the same. No one gets what they want, so you usually vote for the lesser evil.

So you wish it worked differently? I wish I was thinner, richer, and better looking.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace

You guys seem to assume there's a whole bunch of people out there who agree with you. There's not. Since there's not, to become President, you have to appeal to a variety of people with widely varied viewpoints. You'll never get the President you want, because it doesn't work that way.

But dross, that requires living in the world of reality. A concept that some just can't seem to grasp.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Do Republicans vote in the Primaries using the same logic as they do in the General Election? It all boils down to supporting one of the two most popular candidates right? Anyone else is just wasting their votes apparently. If it comes down to Ron Paul and Romney, or any other Establishment hack, will you guys support Ron Paul then? What will it take?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I think putting another Establishment Republican on the ballot in 2012 ensures Obama's election. I've laid my case for why Ron Paul can defeat Obama.

The Primaries are still months away. There is no defeat yet. He's still a contender. Moreso than he was 4 years ago. If all these polls and CPAC are any indicator, he's a strong contender. He's actually getting some media coverage. His GOP competition is more pathetic than ever. Obama has shown that Hope & Change means that nothing will change. Democrats are being inspired to vote for Ron Paul.

If you vote for anyone else in the primaries, you are ensuring an Obama victory. :):

I agree, though for potentially different reasons. I have noticed this;
    1. Card carrying republicans will vote for the republican candidate.
    2. Conservatives that consider themselves Tea Party, Libertarians, what have you will only vote for a candidate they like.

Ergo it makes more sense for the Republicans to nominate a candidate endorsed by the Tea Party/Libertarians/Whathaveyous becuase it is the best way to unite the various conservative factions and the party republicans will vote for anyone on the right side of the ballot.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009

Kirk's theory on OC is that to make it normal, you must actually engage in the act.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011

The gist of that that I caught was that the author equated Antisemitism with a general disdain for our current foreign policy towards Israel. I would disagree with the idea of leaving Israel high and dry, if only because they have the balls to stick it to their enemies and keep what they conquer out of necessity, but even a strong dislike of Israel as a nation is not in itself Antisemitic. Israel may be the "Jewish State", but there are plenty of reasons to dislike Israel and want to abandon it in regards to weapons shipments etc regardless of the religious/ethnic history of some of the population.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Ron is a anti Semite.
    He also has the mentality of George McGovern about the military.
    He stands zero chance of being nominated or if nominated beating Obozo

Ron is not an anti-Semite. He is anti lets give Israel everything they ever asked for because for some reason we consider them our only true ally in Middle East even though they are just as slimy as the rest of them and would not hesitate to screw us over if it would somehow further their own interests.

Ron doesnt like the massive amounts of money we throw at Israel to be our friend. He has similar feelings about several other countries. I do too. If you have to pay someone to be your friend, are they really your friend?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Good grief. Protecting U.S. taxpayers from global wealth redistribution has nothing to do with disfavoring anyone's religion. That was a weak attempt.

A real fiscal conservative would applaud Ron Paul on wanting to cut off the foreign welfare checks.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    I agree, though for potentially different reasons. I have noticed this;
    1. Card carrying republicans will vote for the republican candidate.
    2. Conservatives that consider themselves Tea Party, Libertarians, what have you will only vote for a candidate they like.

Ergo it makes more sense for the Republicans to nominate a candidate endorsed by the Tea Party/Libertarians/Whathaveyous becuase it is the best way to unite the various conservative factions and the party republicans will vote for anyone on the right side of the ballot.

This. Ron Paul would doubtless get republican party members' votes over Obama, and outside of them Paul has the largest general appeal, and is particularly strong in his appeal to people on the left. If he's not the republican candidate, the republicans don't want to actually win the election.

ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    I'm willing to give Paul a try. That being said, I have some thoughts. Sure, he's anti-war, which will make dems want to at least give him a passing glance. The part that will lose dems is when they look closer at Paul's philosophy on economic liberty and regulation. His words on these two subjects also mean, "Solve your own problems." That may sound like music to your and my ears, but it sounds like a funeral dirge to a democrat.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I'm willing to give Paul a try. That being said, I have some thoughts. Sure, he's anti-war, which will make dems want to at least give him a passing glance. The part that will lose dems is when they look closer at Paul's philosophy on economic liberty and regulation. His words on these two subjects also mean, "Solve your own problems." That may sound like music to your and my ears, but it sounds like a funeral dirge to a democrat.

Ron Paul is NOT anti-war. He just keeps getting painted with that brush because he talks about having a "humble foreign policy with no nation-building." Ironically that phrase was also the same one President Bush and Ronald Reagan ran on.

Ron Paul doesn't like our current wars because we never clearly declared war like the US Constitution demands. In all cases, the UN was the sole decider in the use of force and these UN-authorized conflicts have the tendency to go on into infinity. I'm sure I am not explaining it well so use Youtube to research Paul's position IN HIS OWN WORDS and not the media's portrayal of of his positions.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I disagree with him on Israel, but I don't see anything in that article that would make me think his anti-Israel positions are base in anti-semitism, vs a general conviction that the U.S. should be more isolationist.

Top Bottom